2008-01-23 15:58:51

by Sev Binello

Subject: [NFS] nfs_statfs: statfs error = 512 ?

Hi -

Can anyone explain the following error message...

Jan 22 11:03:28 acnmcr5s kernel: nfs_statfs: statfs error = 512

We seem to be getting it way too frequently,
and was wondering if it was correlated to systems becoming
unresponsive at times.

Out clients are running 2.6.9-55.0.9.ELsmp, Redhat WS4 U5
while nfs servers are still at 2.4.21-47.ELsmp Rhat WS 3 U8
We are using UDP.

Thanks
-Sev

--

Sev Binello
Brookhaven National Laboratory

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-23 16:22:13

by Steve Dickson

Subject: Re: [NFS] nfs_statfs: statfs error = 512 ?

Sev Binello wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Can anyone explain the following error message...
>
> Jan 22 11:03:28 acnmcr5s kernel: nfs_statfs: statfs error = 512
>
> We seem to be getting it way too frequently,
> and was wondering if it was correlated to systems becoming
> unresponsive at times.
>
> Out clients are running 2.6.9-55.0.9.ELsmp, Redhat WS4 U5
> while nfs servers are still at 2.4.21-47.ELsmp Rhat WS 3 U8
> We are using UDP.
I *think* do recognize this problem... I believe it has to do
with the fact the mount command can not talk to either the NFS
server or the server daemons mountd or portmapper.

I also believe this problem has been fixed later kernels, but
that fix may not have made it into RHEL 3...

steved.

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-23 16:28:31

by Sev Binello

Steve Dickson wrote:
> Sev Binello wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> Can anyone explain the following error message...
>>
>> Jan 22 11:03:28 acnmcr5s kernel: nfs_statfs: statfs error = 512
>>
>> We seem to be getting it way too frequently,
>> and was wondering if it was correlated to systems becoming
>> unresponsive at times.
>>
>> Out clients are running 2.6.9-55.0.9.ELsmp, Redhat WS4 U5
>> while nfs servers are still at 2.4.21-47.ELsmp Rhat WS 3 U8
>> We are using UDP.
>>
> I *think* do recognize this problem... I believe it has to do
> with the fact the mount command can not talk to either the NFS
> server or the server daemons mountd or portmapper.

Any idea why it wouldn't be able to communicate ?
The server and daemons are up and running.

> I also believe this problem has been fixed later kernels, but
> that fix may not have made it into RHEL 3...

The problem doesn't seem to occur on WS3 clients, but does on WS4
clients ?
Can you provide any more details ?

Thanks
-Sev

--

Sev Binello
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Upton, New York
631-344-5647

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-23 20:37:57

by Steve Dickson

Sev Binello wrote:
> The problem doesn't seem to occur on WS3 clients, but does on WS4
> clients ?
Again, I'm pretty sure this problem was identified and fixed in
an later update release... you could try updating to the latest
and greatest (U7).

> Can you provide any more details ?
An a bzip2 tethereal network trace something similar to
tethereal -w /tmp/data.pcap host <server> and host <server;
bzip2 /tmp/data.pcap

should shed some light on whats going on...

Note: so as not to fill up everybody's inbox with tethereal
data, either open a bug report on bugzilla.redhat.com or
set the data to me in a private email.

steved.

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-23 21:11:08

by Sev Binello

Steve Dickson wrote:
> Sev Binello wrote:
>
>> The problem doesn't seem to occur on WS3 clients, but does on WS4
>> clients ?
>>
> Again, I'm pretty sure this problem was identified and fixed in
> an later update release... you could try updating to the latest
> and greatest (U7).

I just want to make sure I'm clear on this point...
The problem *appears on the * *WS4 U5* clients running2.6.9-55.0.9.ELsmp
*NOT* with the *WS3 U8* servers.
Are you saying a problem on WS3 servers is causing this error to appear
on the WS4 clients,
but not on the WS3 clients ?
>> Can you provide any more details ?
>>
> An a bzip2 tethereal network trace something similar to
> tethereal -w /tmp/data.pcap host <server> and host <server;
> bzip2 /tmp/data.pcap
>
> should shed some light on whats going on...
>
> Note: so as not to fill up everybody's inbox with tethereal
> data, either open a bug report on bugzilla.redhat.com or
> set the data to me in a private email.

Okay will do thanks

-Sev

--

Sev Binello
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Upton, New York
631-344-5647

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

Hi,

I was getting similaer problem on one of my machine after checking all things for 2 hours finaly i am able to solve issuse.In my case there was problem in switch which i connected on rack.Before doing any thing please check your network connections and switch.
I hope this will help who are facing this problem

Thx
rishi nandedkar

--
This message was sent on behalf of rishi_nandedkar-/[email protected] at openSubscriber.com
http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/[email protected]/8446204.html