2008-03-30 10:32:04

by Steinar H. Gunderson

Subject: Version check in aclocal/kerberos.m5

Hi,

Does anyone know where the version check in aclocal/kerberos.m5 come from? I
need to patch it (Debian's krb5-config --version gives a version like
"1.6.3-beta1-debian", and it doesn't manage to strip away the -beta part),
but it's not clear to me who upstream really is. (At least I've seen the code
in several other projects.)

Any ideas?

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

2008-03-31 13:15:52

by Kevin Coffman

Subject: Re: Version check in aclocal/kerberos.m5

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Steinar H. Gunderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know where the version check in aclocal/kerberos.m5 come from? I
> need to patch it (Debian's krb5-config --version gives a version like
> "1.6.3-beta1-debian", and it doesn't manage to strip away the -beta part),
> but it's not clear to me who upstream really is. (At least I've seen the code
> in several other projects.)
>
> Any ideas?

Hello Steinar,
I'm not clear what you are looking to patch?

It should be possible to improve the parsing in aclocal/kerberos5.m4
to handle this situation. Is that what you are looking for?

In hindsight, it probably makes more sense to use the version number
in aclocal/kerberos5.m4 to set feature-specific definitions rather
than continue to pass along the parsed version number. (The version
number is currently used to determine which method to use to tell the
Kerberos library where to find the credentials.)

K.C.

2008-03-31 13:29:30

by Steinar H. Gunderson

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:15:37AM -0400, Kevin Coffman wrote:
> Hello Steinar,
> I'm not clear what you are looking to patch?
>
> It should be possible to improve the parsing in aclocal/kerberos5.m4
> to handle this situation. Is that what you are looking for?

Yes, that was my idea.

My question was: Does this code actually originate in nfs-utils, or does it
come from somewhere else?

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

2008-03-31 13:38:38

by Kevin Coffman

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Steinar H. Gunderson
<sgunderson-jG/[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:15:37AM -0400, Kevin Coffman wrote:
> > Hello Steinar,
> > I'm not clear what you are looking to patch?
> >
> > It should be possible to improve the parsing in aclocal/kerberos5.m4
> > to handle this situation. Is that what you are looking for?
>
> Yes, that was my idea.
>
> My question was: Does this code actually originate in nfs-utils, or does it
> come from somewhere else?

AFAIK, I am the only one to blame. There are other versions of
configure tests for K5, but none that try to use the version number...