2008-06-26 17:41:47

by J. Bruce Fields

Subject: Re: [NFS] NFS performance debugging

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 08:19:29AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 June 2008 18.56:58 J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 09:02:42AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > > First tries showed
> > > * There are no acl on my files now
> >
> > NFSv4 uses an entirely different type of ACL, for which you need
> > different client-side tools; see
>
> I'm absolutely confused on the state of nfs4 acls. There are so many old
> mailing list posts around that it's difficult to see what information
> applies to the currentimplementation. So: are POSIX acls in the server
> filesystem somehow mapped to nfsv4 acls on the client side? I understand
> there understands an RFC proposal on how to do this, and
> http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/ACLs is very interesting but
> doesn't really cover the current state of the implementation.

I've attempted to update that wiki page to fix that problem; could you
take a look and tell me whether the changes help?

> > http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/nfs4-acl-tools/
>
> Hmm. Not packaged in Debian yet?????? ;-) So work to do for me if I end up
> using nfs4

Yes. Volunteers to package those things welcomed....

(Or maybe we should get them into nfs-utils at some point. I don't
know.)

--b.

> > > * user id mapping seems funny: some users map to nobody, others map
> > > correctly. Huh?
> >
> > And whereas v2/v3 require only uid's and gid's to agree, v4 (if you're
> > using auth_sys) requires uid's, gid's, *and* user and group names to
> > agree.
>
> I got that fixed. "localdomain" in idmapd.conf...
>
> cheers
> -- vbi
>

> --
> > Maybe that question would be a good starting point: What's the use for
> > a gender field there?
> Stalking.
> -- Miriam Ruiz, Marco d'Itri (im that order)

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-06-27 06:25:15

by Adrian von Bidder

On Thursday 26 June 2008 19.03:42 you wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 08:19:29AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > >
> > > NFSv4 uses an entirely different type of ACL, for which you need
> > > different client-side tools; see
> >
> > I'm absolutely confused on the state of nfs4 acls. There are so many
> > old mailing list posts around that it's difficult to see what
> > information applies to the currentimplementation. So: are POSIX acls
> > in the server filesystem somehow mapped to nfsv4 acls on the client
> > side? I understand there understands an RFC proposal on how to do
> > this, and
> > http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/ACLs is very interesting but
> > doesn't really cover the current state of the implementation.
>
> I've attempted to update that wiki page to fix that problem; could you
> take a look and tell me whether the changes help?

The summary is: "POSIX ACLs on the server side turn (more or less) into
NFSv4 ACL on the client.", correct? So our current ACL based system of
permissions should work except that we can't modify permissions on the
client side until I've deployed nfs4 acl tools ...

> > > http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/nfs4-acl-tools/
> >
> > Hmm. Not packaged in Debian yet?????? ;-) So work to do for me if I
> > end up using nfs4
>
> Yes. Volunteers to package those things welcomed....

... which means you've possibly got your Debian packager, and I might even
be able to do that on company time.

Ok, I guess I know in which direction to put my work now, thanks a lot.
(nfs-iostat will be the first thing I'll try, though, to get some more
data.)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Why on earth should we teach children
that they are not allowed to share the toys.

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.00 kB)
signature.asc (388.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part.
(No filename) (247.00 B)
(No filename) (362.00 B)
Download all attachments