2008-05-23 13:49:06

by Peter Staubach

Subject: Re: [NFS] Error ESTALE require Linux NFS client to reboot?

Ajay Gupta (akgupta) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have few questions regarding ESTALE error which Linux NFS client
> reports to application - is there any scenario where this will require
> a NFS client reboot ? Does Linux kernel version 2.6.Le or after can
> fully recover from ESTALE error and not require client to reboot? What
> application should do if encountered ESTALE error to gracefully recover ?

Most of this depends upon where the ESTALE error was encountered
in the file system and what the application was doing with that
object. It also depends upon what semantics are desired for
"recovering".

In general though, a client reboot is not required. Finding a
way to umount and mount again or to close and reopen the file
will lead to things clearing up.

By the way, which Linux kernel version is 2.6.Le?

Thanx...

ps

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-05-23 13:53:50

by Ajay Gupta (akgupta)

Thanks Peter!!

Sorry typo... I meant Linux kernel version 2.6.12.

Is there any pointer where I can get more info about recovering from
ESTALE error at client?

Regards,
Ajay