2008-01-18 21:09:15

by Chuck Lever

Subject: Re: Understanding iostat-ms output

Hi Trond-

On Jan 18, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 13:11 -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
>> The plan is to include these scripts in nfs-utils during 2CQ08, after
>> the IPv6 work is complete. There is some additional work to be done,
>> such as composing man pages for both scripts, adding appropriate
>> dependency information in the nfs-utils build scripts, and so on.
>
> I'm of two minds about that. I agree that we need an iostat-like
> utility
> in nfs-utils, but I'm wary about also adding in a new language
> dependency on python.

Steve has already agreed to include the Python versions. However, if
it presents a challenge, it would be fairly trivial to rewrite these
scripts in C.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

2008-01-19 12:53:33

by Steve Dickson

Chuck Lever wrote:
> Hi Trond-
>
> On Jan 18, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Trond Myklebust wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 13:11 -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
>>> The plan is to include these scripts in nfs-utils during 2CQ08, after
>>> the IPv6 work is complete. There is some additional work to be done,
>>> such as composing man pages for both scripts, adding appropriate
>>> dependency information in the nfs-utils build scripts, and so on.
>>
>> I'm of two minds about that. I agree that we need an iostat-like utility
>> in nfs-utils, but I'm wary about also adding in a new language
>> dependency on python.
>

> Steve has already agreed to include the Python versions. However, if it
> presents a challenge, it would be fairly trivial to rewrite these
> scripts in C.
Personally I think Python is fine... but let me look into it to how
painful the integration is and what dependencies are needed.

steved.