2022-01-21 20:04:47

by Anna Schumaker

Subject: [GIT PULL] Please pull NFS Client Updates for 5.17

Hi Linus,

The following changes since commit c9e6606c7fe92b50a02ce51dda82586ebdf99b48:

Linux 5.16-rc8 (2022-01-02 14:23:25 -0800)

are available in the Git repository at:

git://git.linux-nfs.org/projects/anna/linux-nfs.git tags/nfs-for-5.17-1

for you to fetch changes up to aed28b7a2d620cb5cd0c554cb889075c02e25e8e:

SUNRPC: Don't dereference xprt->snd_task if it's a cookie
(2022-01-14 10:37:00 -0500)

- New Features:
- Basic handling for case insensitive filesystems
- Initial support for fs_locations and server trunking

- Bugfixes and Cleanups:
- Cleanups to how the "struct cred *" is handled for the nfs_access_entry
- Ensure the server has an up to date ctimes before hardlinking or renaming
- Update 'blocks used' after writeback, fallocate, and clone
- nfs_atomic_open() fixes
- Improvements to sunrpc tracing
- Various null check & indenting related cleanups
- Some improvements to the sunrpc sysfs code
- Use default_groups in kobj_type
- Fix some potential races and reference leaks
- A few tracepoint cleanups in xprtrdma

I had to drop a few patches at the end of last week when some last
minute objections came in, but everything else should be ready.

Thanks,
Anna
Anna Schumaker (1):
sunrpc: Fix potential race conditions in rpc_sysfs_xprt_state_change()

Chuck Lever (3):
xprtrdma: Remove final dprintk call sites from xprtrdma
xprtrdma: Remove definitions of RPCDBG_FACILITY
SUNRPC: Don't dereference xprt->snd_task if it's a cookie

Greg Kroah-Hartman (2):
NFS: use default_groups in kobj_type
SUNRPC: use default_groups in kobj_type

Gustavo A. R. Silva (1):
nfs41: pnfs: filelayout: Replace one-element array with
flexible-array member

Jiapeng Chong (1):
SUNRPC: clean up some inconsistent indenting

NeilBrown (3):
NFS: change nfs_access_get_cached to only report the mask
NFS: pass cred explicitly for access tests
NFS: don't store 'struct cred *' in struct nfs_access_entry

Olga Kornievskaia (8):
NFSv4 only print the label when its queried
NFSv4 remove zero number of fs_locations entries error check
NFSv4 store server support for fs_location attribute
NFSv4.1 query for fs_location attr on a new file system
NFSv4 expose nfs_parse_server_name function
NFSv4 handle port presence in fs_location server string
SUNRPC allow for unspecified transport time in rpc_clnt_add_xprt
NFSv4.1 test and add 4.1 trunking transport

Pierguido Lambri (1):
SUNRPC: Add source address/port to rpc_socket* traces

Trond Myklebust (12):
NFS: Ensure the server has an up to date ctime before hardlinking
NFS: Ensure the server has an up to date ctime before renaming
NFSv4.1: Fix uninitialised variable in devicenotify
NFSv4: Add some support for case insensitive filesystems
NFSv4: Just don't cache negative dentries on case insensitive servers
NFS: Invalidate negative dentries on all case insensitive
directory changes
NFS: Add a helper to remove case-insensitive aliases
NFS: Fix the verifier for case sensitive filesystem in nfs_atomic_open()
NFSv4: Allow writebacks to request 'blocks used'
NFSv42: Fallocate and clone should also request 'blocks used'
NFSv4: Handle case where the lookup of a directory fails
NFSv4: nfs_atomic_open() can race when looking up a non-regular file

Xiaoke Wang (1):
nfs: nfs4clinet: check the return value of kstrdup()

Xiyu Yang (1):
net/sunrpc: fix reference count leaks in rpc_sysfs_xprt_state_change

Xu Wang (1):
sunrpc: Remove unneeded null check

fs/nfs/callback.h | 2 +-
fs/nfs/callback_proc.c | 2 +-
fs/nfs/callback_xdr.c | 22 +++++++++++-----------
fs/nfs/client.c | 7 +++++++
fs/nfs/dir.c | 146
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------------------
fs/nfs/filelayout/filelayout.h | 2 +-
fs/nfs/filelayout/filelayoutdev.c | 4 +---
fs/nfs/internal.h | 1 +
fs/nfs/nfs3proc.c | 5 +++--
fs/nfs/nfs42proc.c | 13 ++++++++-----
fs/nfs/nfs4_fs.h | 14 +++++++++-----
fs/nfs/nfs4client.c | 5 ++++-
fs/nfs/nfs4namespace.c | 19 ++++++++++++-------
fs/nfs/nfs4proc.c | 197
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------------------------------------
fs/nfs/nfs4state.c | 6 +++++-
fs/nfs/nfs4xdr.c | 49
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
fs/nfs/sysfs.c | 3 ++-
include/linux/nfs_fs.h | 10 ++++++----
include/linux/nfs_fs_sb.h | 4 +++-
include/linux/nfs_xdr.h | 5 ++++-
include/trace/events/sunrpc.h | 70
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------------------
net/sunrpc/auth_gss/gss_generic_token.c | 6 ++----
net/sunrpc/clnt.c | 5 ++++-
net/sunrpc/sysfs.c | 47
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------------------
net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/backchannel.c | 4 ----
net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/frwr_ops.c | 4 ----
net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/rpc_rdma.c | 4 ----
net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.c | 4 ----
net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/verbs.c | 23 -----------------------
net/sunrpc/xprtsock.c | 2 +-

by Anna Schumaker

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull NFS Client Updates for 5.17

Hi Linus,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 3:47 PM Anna Schumaker
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Linus,
>
> The following changes since commit c9e6606c7fe92b50a02ce51dda82586ebdf99b48:
>
> Linux 5.16-rc8 (2022-01-02 14:23:25 -0800)
>
> are available in the Git repository at:
>
> git://git.linux-nfs.org/projects/anna/linux-nfs.git tags/nfs-for-5.17-1
>
> for you to fetch changes up to aed28b7a2d620cb5cd0c554cb889075c02e25e8e:
>
> SUNRPC: Don't dereference xprt->snd_task if it's a cookie
> (2022-01-14 10:37:00 -0500)

I just wanted to make sure you saw my pull request since we're getting
towards the end of the week. I remember last year there was some issue
where the mailer didn't deliver it to you, so I'm worried that's
happened again.

Anna

> [...]
> NFSv4: Handle case where the lookup of a directory fails
> NFSv4: nfs_atomic_open() can race when looking up a non-regular file
>
> Xiaoke Wang (1):
> nfs: nfs4clinet: check the return value of kstrdup()
>
> Xiyu Yang (1):
> net/sunrpc: fix reference count leaks in rpc_sysfs_xprt_state_change
>
> Xu Wang (1):
> sunrpc: Remove unneeded null check
>
> fs/nfs/callback.h | 2 +-
> fs/nfs/callback_proc.c | 2 +-
> fs/nfs/callback_xdr.c | 22 +++++++++++-----------
> fs/nfs/client.c | 7 +++++++
> fs/nfs/dir.c | 146
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------------------
> fs/nfs/filelayout/filelayout.h | 2 +-
> fs/nfs/filelayout/filelayoutdev.c | 4 +---

by Anna Schumaker

Hi Linus,

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 1:34 PM Anna Schumaker
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Linus,
>
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 3:47 PM Anna Schumaker
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Linus,
> >
> > The following changes since commit c9e6606c7fe92b50a02ce51dda82586ebdf99b48:
> >
> > Linux 5.16-rc8 (2022-01-02 14:23:25 -0800)
> >
> > are available in the Git repository at:
> >
> > git://git.linux-nfs.org/projects/anna/linux-nfs.git tags/nfs-for-5.17-1
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to aed28b7a2d620cb5cd0c554cb889075c02e25e8e:
> >
> > SUNRPC: Don't dereference xprt->snd_task if it's a cookie
> > (2022-01-14 10:37:00 -0500)
>
> I just wanted to make sure you saw my pull request since we're getting
> towards the end of the week. I remember last year there was some issue
> where the mailer didn't deliver it to you, so I'm worried that's
> happened again.

I'm still not seeing this in your tree. Was there something wrong with
the pull request? What can I do to fix it?

Anna

> [...]
> > fs/nfs/nfs4state.c | 6 +++++-
> > fs/nfs/nfs4xdr.c | 49
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
> > fs/nfs/sysfs.c | 3 ++-
> > include/linux/nfs_fs.h | 10 ++++++----
> > include/linux/nfs_fs_sb.h | 4 +++-
> > include/linux/nfs_xdr.h | 5 ++++-
> > include/trace/events/sunrpc.h | 70
> > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------------------
> > net/sunrpc/auth_gss/gss_generic_token.c | 6 ++----
> > net/sunrpc/clnt.c | 5 ++++-
> > net/sunrpc/sysfs.c | 47
> > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------------------
> > net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/backchannel.c | 4 ----
> > net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/frwr_ops.c | 4 ----
> > net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/rpc_rdma.c | 4 ----
> > net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.c | 4 ----
> > net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/verbs.c | 23 -----------------------
> > net/sunrpc/xprtsock.c | 2 +-
> > 30 files changed, 476 insertions(+), 209 deletions(-)

2022-01-26 03:30:53

by Linus Torvalds

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 8:01 PM Anna Schumaker
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm still not seeing this in your tree. Was there something wrong with
> the pull request? What can I do to fix it?

Hmm. It looks like these were all caught in the gmail spam filter, and
while I go look at my spam folder regularly, I don't exactly go
through it with a fine comb. If nothing stands out to me, it all goes
into the great big bit-bucket in the sky.

And the reason gmail considers it spam seems to be that your email is
misconfigured. You have a "from:" field using netapp.com, but you
don't seem to use the proper netapp smtp server, so you don't get the
netapp DKIM signature, resulting in

dmarc=fail (p=QUARANTINE sp=QUARANTINE dis=QUARANTINE)
header.from=netapp.com

and that's quite the spam-trigger.

In fact, from the headers it looks like you're using gmail to deliver
the email using your [email protected] gmail account, but then
you have that "From:" having that "netapp.com" from address. Naughty,
naughty.

Even if gmail receives it, gmail will then notice that the from
address has been faked, and will not deliver it to me.

That whole "send email using another delivery thing than the one you
claim it is from" is how most spam is sent, and it used to work. It
doesn't work any more in a world where people actually check DKIM
information, and netapp.com does have DKIM enabled.

So you have to use the real netapp SMPT server if you send emails that
claim to come from netapp.

You could just use your actual normal gmail.com address - that works
fine, and I'll see the signed tag, and the kernel.org address, and
I'll trust it that way.

Linus

2022-01-26 03:33:19

by pr-tracker-bot

The pull request you sent on Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:47:05 -0500:

> git://git.linux-nfs.org/projects/anna/linux-nfs.git tags/nfs-for-5.17-1

has been merged into torvalds/linux.git:
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/0280e3c58f92b2fe0e8fbbdf8d386449168de4a8

Thank you!

--
Deet-doot-dot, I am a bot.
https://korg.docs.kernel.org/prtracker.html

2022-01-26 09:07:10

by Anna Schumaker

Hi Linus,

I hadn't heard of DKIM before, so thanks for educating me! I've deleted my netapp email from my gmail's "send email as" list so I won't make this mistake again in the future and I'll just send from my gmail directly. I hoped it would would be as easy way to make it look as if it came from my work email without needing to deal with the web version of outlook (which I don't trust at all to send email properly).

Thank you so much for still pulling it!
Anna