2008-01-09 16:23:43

by Terry Spaulding

Subject: [NFS] SLES10 SP1 NFS setting ports .....

List,

I have a newly installed SLES10 SP1 system with kernel 2.16.46.-0.12 and
nfs-utils-1.0.7-36.21.

I assume that this version of nfs-utils is NFS v4 ?

This SLES10 SP1 system is a NFS Client. The current NFS server is a SLES9
system.

I have been able to set specific ports for lockd on SLES8 and SLES9 thanks
to Neil Brown assistance but I see that with SLES10 it looks like the NFS
version is newer and it does not like the kernel parms lockd_nlm.tcpport
and lockd_nlm.udpport used in SLES9.

I receive: 'Unknown boot option 'lockd_nlm.tcpport=xxxx' : ignoring
'Unknown boot option 'lockd_nlm.udpport=xxxx' : ignoring

I have not been successful in finding out what the kernel parameters would
be to implement specific ports for lockd on SLES10 SP1.

Can anyone give me an example of the kernel parm needed to set a specific
lockd port on SLES10 SP1 ?

This is required to get thru the Firewalls.

TIA .........................

Regards,
Terry L. Spaulding
IBM ITS

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-09 17:32:52

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: [NFS] SLES10 SP1 NFS setting ports .....

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 11:23 -0500, Terry Spaulding wrote:
> List,
>
> I have a newly installed SLES10 SP1 system with kernel 2.16.46.-0.12 and
> nfs-utils-1.0.7-36.21.
>
> I assume that this version of nfs-utils is NFS v4 ?
>
> This SLES10 SP1 system is a NFS Client. The current NFS server is a SLES9
> system.
>
> I have been able to set specific ports for lockd on SLES8 and SLES9 thanks
> to Neil Brown assistance but I see that with SLES10 it looks like the NFS
> version is newer and it does not like the kernel parms lockd_nlm.tcpport
> and lockd_nlm.udpport used in SLES9.
>
> I receive: 'Unknown boot option 'lockd_nlm.tcpport=xxxx' : ignoring
> 'Unknown boot option 'lockd_nlm.udpport=xxxx' : ignoring

The parameter names are

lockd.nlm_tcpport
lockd.nlm_udpport

See Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt for more information (and the
full list parameters that are supported).

Cheers
Trond

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-09 18:27:47

by Terry Spaulding

Trond,

My bad here. I had the . and _ incorrectly specified. I see the
kernel-parameters doc. Thanks .......

I made the changes to /etc/zipl.conf, reran zipl and rebooted. I still get
these messages at Linux IPL:

Kernel command line:
root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-360050768018180762800000000000328-part1 TERM=dumb
elevator=noop lockd.nlm_tcpport=2051 lockd.nlm_udpport=2051 BOOT_IMAGE=0
Unknown boot option `lockd.nlm_tcpport=2051': ignoring
Unknown boot option `lockd.nlm_udpport=2051': ignoring

Any suggestions here ????

TIA .....................

Trond responded:

The parameter names are

lockd.nlm_tcpport
lockd.nlm_udpport

See Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt for more information (and the
full list parameters that are supported).
> I have been able to set specific ports for lockd on SLES8 and SLES9
thanks
> to Neil Brown assistance but I see that with SLES10 it looks like the NFS
> version is newer and it does not like the kernel parms lockd_nlm.tcpport
> and lockd_nlm.udpport used in SLES9.
>
> I receive: 'Unknown boot option 'lockd_nlm.tcpport=xxxx' : ignoring
> 'Unknown boot option 'lockd_nlm.udpport=xxxx' : ignoring

Terry L. Spaulding
IBM ITS

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-09 18:39:59

by Trond Myklebust

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 13:27 -0500, Terry Spaulding wrote:
> Trond,
>
> My bad here. I had the . and _ incorrectly specified. I see the
> kernel-parameters doc. Thanks .......
>
> I made the changes to /etc/zipl.conf, reran zipl and rebooted. I still get
> these messages at Linux IPL:
>
> Kernel command line:
> root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-360050768018180762800000000000328-part1 TERM=dumb
> elevator=noop lockd.nlm_tcpport=2051 lockd.nlm_udpport=2051 BOOT_IMAGE=0
> Unknown boot option `lockd.nlm_tcpport=2051': ignoring
> Unknown boot option `lockd.nlm_udpport=2051': ignoring
>
> Any suggestions here ????

Hmm. I don't have a copy of SLES10 with which to test, but I assume that
lockd is compiled as a module, named 'lockd' right? I'm wondering if the
above message just means that the kernel doesn't parse the options
because the module isn't loaded yet.

What happens when you do load the lockd module, and then start nfsd or
mount an nfs partition? Does 'rpcinfo -p' show lockd listening on any
other ports.

Cheers
Trond

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-09 19:43:09

by Terry Spaulding

Yes, If I mount and NFS filesystem on the client and issue rpcinfo -p I see
random ports for udp and tcp assigned to the nlockmngr.

I am using the supplied kernel.

How can I tell the module was compiled as lockd ? I assume it is setup
similar to how SLES9 and SLES8 was where the lockd is compiled in the
kernel
and requires the kernel parms in /etc/zipl.conf if you want to force it to
use specific ports for firewall purposes.

Thanks .................

Trond responds:

Hmm. I don't have a copy of SLES10 with which to test, but I assume that
lockd is compiled as a module, named 'lockd' right? I'm wondering if the
above message just means that the kernel doesn't parse the options
because the module isn't loaded yet.

What happens when you do load the lockd module, and then start nfsd or
mount an nfs partition? Does 'rpcinfo -p' show lockd listening on any
other ports.

Terry L. Spaulding
IBM ITS

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-09 19:55:59

by Terry Spaulding

ps.

I did an lsmod while the NFS filesystem is mounted on the Client and I see
the lockd module loaded

[...]

2008-01-09 20:23:17

by Trond Myklebust

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 14:56 -0500, Terry Spaulding wrote:
> ps.
>
> I did an lsmod while the NFS filesystem is mounted on the Client and I see
> the lockd module loaded

What does 'modinfo lockd' say?

Cheers
Trond

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-09 22:26:32

by NeilBrown

On Wednesday January 9, [email protected] wrote:
> Trond,
>
> My bad here. I had the . and _ incorrectly specified. I see the
> kernel-parameters doc. Thanks .......
>
> I made the changes to /etc/zipl.conf, reran zipl and rebooted. I still get
> these messages at Linux IPL:
>
> Kernel command line:
> root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-360050768018180762800000000000328-part1 TERM=dumb
> elevator=noop lockd.nlm_tcpport=2051 lockd.nlm_udpport=2051 BOOT_IMAGE=0
> Unknown boot option `lockd.nlm_tcpport=2051': ignoring
> Unknown boot option `lockd.nlm_udpport=2051': ignoring
>
> Any suggestions here ????

Create a file
/etc/modprobe.d/lockd

in it put the line

options lockd nlm.tcpport=2051 nlm_udpport=2051

then when modprobe loads the lockd module, it will set these options.

NeilBrown

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-10 13:14:19

by Terry Spaulding

modinfo lockd

filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.16.46-0.12-default/kernel/fs/lockd/lockd.ko
license: GPL
author: Olaf Kirch <[email protected]>
srcversion: 08AEA65F1243B999D0019C9
depends: sunrpc
supported: yes
vermagic: 2.6.16.46-0.12-default SMP gcc-4.1
parm: nsm_use_kstatd:int

Trond responded:
What does 'modinfo lockd' say?

Thanks ...............

Regards,
Terry L. Spaulding
IBM ITS

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-01-10 13:30:14

by Terry Spaulding

Neil,

That did the trick. The lockd.nlm_tcpport and lockd.nlm_udpport are not
required on the zipl.conf parameters
for SLES10. I created the file as shown and now the nlockmgr shows the
specified ports for tcp and udp.

Thanks again for your assistance ............

Neil Brown responded: