2008-05-01 19:47:28

by Dean

Subject: Re: [NFS] How to set-up a Linux NFS server to handle massive number of requests

> If you really need to start 1300 mounts all at once then something needs
> to change. BTW even after you get past mountd, the server is going to
> get pounded with SYN and RPC_NOP.

Just to give my 2 cents after the fact,.. a new approach is definitely
needed. For example, a small 10 line MPI program that has a single
client mount the server, calculate the md5sum, and distribute the result
to the other 999 clients would be a much better approach....

Dean
> It might be interesting to look at httpd (Apache) to see what it does. I
> would think it faces similar traffic flows.
>

>> --b.

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2008-05-01 19:51:57

by J. Bruce Fields

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 12:47:06PM -0700, Dean Hildebrand wrote:

>> If you really need to start 1300 mounts all at once then something needs
>> to change. BTW even after you get past mountd, the server is going to
>> get pounded with SYN and RPC_NOP.
> Just to give my 2 cents after the fact,.. a new approach is definitely
> needed. For example, a small 10 line MPI program that has a single
> client mount the server, calculate the md5sum, and distribute the result
> to the other 999 clients would be a much better approach....

For that toy example, yes, but we still need to fix whatever's
preventing us from handling 1000 simultaneous mounts.

--b.