2008-07-01 20:34:25

by Chuck Lever III

Subject: incorrect entries in /etc/netconfig

Hi Steve-

I'm trying out setconfigent() and friends from the new libtirpc.

It looks like the entries in the stock /etc/netconfig on Fedora are
incorrect compared with Solaris. My Fedora 8 system has this:

udp tpi_clts v inet udp - -
tcp tpi_cots_ord v inet tcp - -
udp6 tpi_clts - inet6 udp6 - -
tcp6 tpi_cots_ord - inet6 tcp6 - -

but my OpenSolaris 2008.5 system has this:

udp6 tpi_clts v inet6 udp /dev/udp6 -
tcp6 tpi_cots_ord v inet6 tcp /dev/tcp6 -
udp tpi_clts v inet udp /dev/udp -
tcp tpi_cots_ord v inet tcp /dev/tcp -

Note the contents of the fifth field in each row. The Fedora
netconfig has "udp6" and "tcp6" as the protonames, which I think is
incorrect. These should be "udp" and "tcp". Only the netids (the
first field) should have the extra "6" suffix. The protocol names
should always be "udp" or "tcp", no matter which address family is used.

Can you fix this up in the libtirpc package?

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

2008-07-08 17:41:29

by Steve Dickson

Subject: Re: incorrect entries in /etc/netconfig

Sorry for taking soo long to address this...

Chuck Lever wrote:
> Hi Steve-
>
> I'm trying out setconfigent() and friends from the new libtirpc.
>
> It looks like the entries in the stock /etc/netconfig on Fedora are
> incorrect compared with Solaris. My Fedora 8 system has this:
>
> udp tpi_clts v inet udp - -
> tcp tpi_cots_ord v inet tcp - -
> udp6 tpi_clts - inet6 udp6 - -
> tcp6 tpi_cots_ord - inet6 tcp6 - -
>
> but my OpenSolaris 2008.5 system has this:
>
> udp6 tpi_clts v inet6 udp /dev/udp6 -
> tcp6 tpi_cots_ord v inet6 tcp /dev/tcp6 -
> udp tpi_clts v inet udp /dev/udp -
> tcp tpi_cots_ord v inet tcp /dev/tcp -
>
> Note the contents of the fifth field in each row. The Fedora netconfig
> has "udp6" and "tcp6" as the protonames, which I think is incorrect.
> These should be "udp" and "tcp". Only the netids (the first field)
> should have the extra "6" suffix. The protocol names should always be
> "udp" or "tcp", no matter which address family is used.
>
> Can you fix this up in the libtirpc package?
It is in later releases... to be honest I'm not sure how
it got that way.. It did not seem to be broken in the
stock F8 (libtirpc-0.1.7-12), F9 or rawhide packages

steved.