2008-02-01 20:09:22

by Daniel Rindt

Subject: [Bluez-users] Questions about using Mobile Phone as Bluetooth-Modem

Hello Listmembers,

i had created a file with the following content:
/etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf:
rfcomm0 {
# # Automatically bind the device at startup
bind yes;
#
# # Bluetooth address of the device
device 00:1D:F6:05:B3:98;
#
# # RFCOMM channel for the connection
channel 3;
#
# # Description of the connection
comment "Samsung SGH-U700";
}

Iam using Fedora 8 and Gnome Desktop the Device is already paired via
the Gnome Bluetooth Pin Helper Stuff. The Configuration file create for
me on boot a device with the following permissions and ownership:
crw------- 1 drindt root 216, 0 1. Feb 19:57 /dev/rfcomm0

As frontend iam using gnome-ppp for dialin. but the problem is that i
must use gnome-ppp as root to get an internet connection. if iam
starting gnome-ppp as user drindt then i get the message after klicking
connect that the device is busy. Iam confused about because /dev/rfcomm0
has IMHO correct permissions and ownership for using as regular user.

Another Thing is iam using a EDR capable Hama nano Bluetooth Dongle
lsusb told me that it is:
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth
Dongle (HCI mode)
but when iam using the FTP Service for instance iam using
nautilus-sendto the filetransfer for a file with 3MB like an mp3 clip
needs more than some minutes. the phone is also capable of EDR and can
talk with up to 3Mb/s and its only some centimeters from the dongle
away.

here are the versions from my bluetooth stuff:
bluez-libs-3.20-1.fc8
bluez-utils-3.20-4.fc8
bluez-gnome-0.14-8.fc8
bluez-utils-alsa-3.20-4.fc8
bluez-utils-cups-3.20-4.fc8
Linux 2.6.23.14-107.fc8 #1 SMP Mon Jan 14 21:37:30 EST 2008 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

Thanks for all suggestions.
-Daniel

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Dies ist ein digital signierter Nachrichtenteil
(No filename) (228.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Guillaume Bedot

Hello,

On ven, 2008-02-01 at 21:09 +0100, Daniel Rindt wrote:
> the filetransfer for a file with 3MB like an mp3 clip
> needs more than some minutes. the phone

What's the modem's speed on the phone ?
Some are very slow.
Did you compare with transfering with an other phone, system, whatever ?

Regards,

Guillaume B.