2007-05-03 19:32:18

by Art Rothstein

Subject: [Bluez-users] hcitool info dropped feature details between versions 3.7 and 3.9?

I recently upgraded my Ubuntu distro from 6.10 to 7.04. This included an
hcitool upgrade from 3.7 to 3.9. Remote device information is now missing the
details on device features, e.g.,

Features: 0xff 0xff 0x2d 0xf8 0x1b 0x18 0x00 0x80
<3-slot packets> <5-slot packets> <encryption> <slot offset>
<park state> <RSSI> <channel quality> <SCO link> <HV2 packets>
<HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD> <power control>
<transparent SCO> <enhanced iscan> <interlaced iscan>
<EV4 packets> <EV5 packets> <AFH cap. slave>
<AFH class. slave> <AFH cap. master> <AFH class. master>
<extended features>

Is this intentional? Is there another way to get this information from existing
utilities?
-----
McKinley Systems
San Francisco
415-827-7575
http://www.mojo-working.com

by Art Rothstein

Probes in a custom build of hcitool narrow the error to a status return of 18
(HCI_INVALID_PARAMETERS?) from an hci_send_req call with command
OCF_READ_REMOTE_FEATURES. As a newbie to Linux, I don't yet know how to follow
the problem into kernel mode.

Cross-posted to:
http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=84352

by Art Rothstein

More information: The omission occurs only in a VMWare VM. The command behaves
properly when run natively. The VMWare Workstation version is current, at
5.5.4-44386, and VMWare Tools are installed.

I suppose this puts me in finger-pointing territory.

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Art,
>
>> I recently upgraded my Ubuntu distro from 6.10 to 7.04. This included an
>> hcitool upgrade from 3.7 to 3.9. Remote device information is now missing the
>> details on device features, e.g.,
>>
>> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x2d 0xf8 0x1b 0x18 0x00 0x80
>> <3-slot packets> <5-slot packets> <encryption> <slot offset>
>> <park state> <RSSI> <channel quality> <SCO link> <HV2 packets>
>> <HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD> <power control>
>> <transparent SCO> <enhanced iscan> <interlaced iscan>
>> <EV4 packets> <EV5 packets> <AFH cap. slave>
>> <AFH class. slave> <AFH cap. master> <AFH class. master>
>> <extended features>
>>
>> Is this intentional? Is there another way to get this information from existing
>> utilities?
>
> I don't see what is missing.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Art,

> I recently upgraded my Ubuntu distro from 6.10 to 7.04. This included an
> hcitool upgrade from 3.7 to 3.9. Remote device information is now missing the
> details on device features, e.g.,
>
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x2d 0xf8 0x1b 0x18 0x00 0x80
> <3-slot packets> <5-slot packets> <encryption> <slot offset>
> <park state> <RSSI> <channel quality> <SCO link> <HV2 packets>
> <HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD> <power control>
> <transparent SCO> <enhanced iscan> <interlaced iscan>
> <EV4 packets> <EV5 packets> <AFH cap. slave>
> <AFH class. slave> <AFH cap. master> <AFH class. master>
> <extended features>
>
> Is this intentional? Is there another way to get this information from existing
> utilities?

I don't see what is missing.

Regards

Marcel