2007-05-03 06:52:48

by heecks

Subject: [Bluez-users] Device not detected (HP nx9420 / Kubuntu Feisty)

Hi,

I can't see my bluetooth device on my HP nx9420 laptop with Kubuntu
Feisty 7.04. Everything works well under Windows.

Here are some informations :

xav@xav-laptop:/$ uname -a
Linux xav-laptop 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 07:36:31 UTC 2007
i686 GNU/Linux

xav@xav-laptop:/$ hciconfig -a

xav@xav-laptop:/$ hcitool scan
Device is not available: No such device

xav@xav-laptop:/$ hcitool inq
Inquiring ...
Inquiry failed.: No such device

xav@xav-laptop:/$ hcitool dev
Devices:

xav@xav-laptop:/$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1267:0210 Logic3 / SpectraVideo plc
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

xav@xav-laptop:/$ lspci | grep USB
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
UHCI #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
UHCI #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
UHCI #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
UHCI #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2
EHCI Controller (rev 01)

xav@xav-laptop:/$ lsmod | egrep "hci|blue"
bluetooth 55908 4 rfcomm,l2cap
sdhci 18700 0
mmc_core 26756 1 sdhci
ahci 22020 3
libata 125720 3 ata_piix,ata_generic,ahci
uhci_hcd 25360 0
ohci1394 36528 0
ieee1394 299448 2 sbp2,ohci1394
ehci_hcd 34188 0
usbcore 134280 4 usbhid,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd

xav@xav-laptop:/$ dmesg | grep Blue
[ 45.348000] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.11
[ 45.348000] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[ 45.348000] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[ 45.528000] Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.8
[ 45.528000] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[ 45.584000] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[ 45.584000] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[ 45.584000] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.8

I'm stucked here... What can I do ?

Thank you for your time.
Regards.
--
Xavier

by heecks

On 5/13/07, Paul Webster <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > looks like you have to find the rfkill switch to enable the Bluetooth
> > > USB dongle inside your computer.
>
> I believe Marcel was refering to the physical switch on your laptop.
> While I can't vouch for other models, the button on my HP zd8000
> serves to physically disconnect the built-in USB bluetooth device (ie
> it is not software controlled). The fact that your WiFi works in this
> state is a little confusing, as usually I get both or none when
> pressing the button, but again, my model is different.

On this laptop, there is only one physical switch. By default, it
enables / disables wifi *and* bluetooth. However, bluetooth and wifi
can be enabled/disabled independently with a win32 HP software. So it
seems to be possible to have one without the other.

Marcel, were you refering to the physical switch ?

--
Xavier

by Paul Webster

> > looks like you have to find the rfkill switch to enable the Bluetooth
> > USB dongle inside your computer.

I believe Marcel was refering to the physical switch on your laptop.
While I can't vouch for other models, the button on my HP zd8000
serves to physically disconnect the built-in USB bluetooth device (ie
it is not software controlled). The fact that your WiFi works in this
state is a little confusing, as usually I get both or none when
pressing the button, but again, my model is different.

by Art Rothstein

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] hcitool info dropped feature details between versions 3.7 and 3.9?

> I don't see what is missing.

More information: The omission occurs only in a VMWare VM. The command behaves
properly when run natively. The VMWare Workstation version is current, at
5.5.4-44386, and VMWare Tools are installed.

I suppose this puts me in finger-pointing territory.

by heecks

On 5/4/07, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> looks like you have to find the rfkill switch to enable the Bluetooth
> USB dongle inside your computer.

Hi Marcel,

Thank you very much for answering.

Since i didn't know what rfkill was before your mail, i did some search.
Finally, it appears to me that rfkill is a kernel module (or is it
already part of the kernel ?) that control the special keyboard
button(s) related to wifi and/or bluetooth. It also handles the state
of the bluetooth / wifi device (enabled or disabled). Am i right ?

Unfortunately, i didn't find any clue about how to use rfkill (i guess
there should be a frontend program)... Could you please give me some
pointers or informations about that ?

I don't know if this may help : on my laptop (HP nx9420), there is a
single keyboard button for wifi and bluetooth. Wi-fi is working ok
(with ipw3945d).

Regards.
--
Xavier

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> I can't see my bluetooth device on my HP nx9420 laptop with Kubuntu
> Feisty 7.04. Everything works well under Windows.
>
> Here are some informations :
>
> xav@xav-laptop:/$ uname -a
> Linux xav-laptop 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 07:36:31 UTC 2007
> i686 GNU/Linux
>
> xav@xav-laptop:/$ hciconfig -a
>
> xav@xav-laptop:/$ hcitool scan
> Device is not available: No such device
>
> xav@xav-laptop:/$ hcitool inq
> Inquiring ...
> Inquiry failed.: No such device
>
> xav@xav-laptop:/$ hcitool dev
> Devices:
>
> xav@xav-laptop:/$ lsusb
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1267:0210 Logic3 / SpectraVideo plc
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

looks like you have to find the rfkill switch to enable the Bluetooth
USB dongle inside your computer.

Regards

Marcel