2011-08-11 18:47:46

by Michel Machado

Subject: RSA

Hi there,

I'm implementing a new network stack in Linux's kernel [1], and I
need a RSA implementation to keep the guarantees of the design [2].

Searching the archive of Linux's mailing lists, I've found that
adding RSA to the kernel has been already tried, but it was left out
because the uses were not convincing then.

I intend to submit my work [3, 4] when I get a reasonable working
version. Until there, could anyone point me to a working patch to add
RSA to the kernel? The old patch [5] doesn't integrate with the current
Crypto API.

Is there hope to have RSA added to Linux? If not for a ready use,
it'd help to experiment with things that are still in the making.

[1] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~xia/
[2] http://reports-archive.adm.cs.cmu.edu/anon/2011/CMU-CS-11-100.pdf
[3] git://github.com/AltraMayor/XIA-for-Linux.git
[4] git://github.com/AltraMayor/xiaconf.git
[5] http://lwn.net/Articles/228892/

--
[ ]'s
Michel Machado

2011-08-11 18:59:25

by Kasatkin, Dmitry

Subject: Re: RSA

Hi,

Please look to the patch just before your email...
[RFC v1.1 2/5] crypto: ksign - digital signature verification support

It implements RSA verification for IMA/EVM.
May be it would be interesting to you.

- Dmitry

On 11/08/11 21:30, Michel Machado wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm implementing a new network stack in Linux's kernel [1], and I
> need a RSA implementation to keep the guarantees of the design [2].
>
> Searching the archive of Linux's mailing lists, I've found that
> adding RSA to the kernel has been already tried, but it was left out
> because the uses were not convincing then.
>
> I intend to submit my work [3, 4] when I get a reasonable working
> version. Until there, could anyone point me to a working patch to add
> RSA to the kernel? The old patch [5] doesn't integrate with the current
> Crypto API.
>
> Is there hope to have RSA added to Linux? If not for a ready use,
> it'd help to experiment with things that are still in the making.
>
> [1] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~xia/
> [2] http://reports-archive.adm.cs.cmu.edu/anon/2011/CMU-CS-11-100.pdf
> [3] git://github.com/AltraMayor/XIA-for-Linux.git
> [4] git://github.com/AltraMayor/xiaconf.git
> [5] http://lwn.net/Articles/228892/

2011-08-11 20:01:14

by Michel Machado

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for pointing out that patch. I does make bringing a full RSA
API into the kernel easier, but it doesn't do it. I may end up doing it
myself, and could certainly use the MPI library you're adding with that
patch, but I'd rather not since I already have a lot on my plate.

--
[ ]'s
Michel Machado