2007-10-18 11:28:21

by Denys Vlasenko

Subject: Crypto patches

Hi Herbert, Dave,

Sometime ago I sent a patch which makes twofish key setup
code much smaller (2.5 times). Currently, it is so much unrolled
that twofish module's code is ~35k on i386.

I am ok with people disagreeing with me and considering 35k
not too big. However, IIRC that patch was not reviewed
(I've got no reply) and I have no way of knowing whether
it was deemed unacceptable or just was lost in the churn.

I want to rediff and resend it. I also want to send patches
for other modules (e.g. camellia, aes).

Please let me know what is the best channels to send
crypto patches through so that they are not lost. Thanks.
--
vda

2007-10-18 15:04:09

by Herbert Xu

Subject: Re: Crypto patches

Denys Vlasenko <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am ok with people disagreeing with me and considering 35k
> not too big. However, IIRC that patch was not reviewed
> (I've got no reply) and I have no way of knowing whether
> it was deemed unacceptable or just was lost in the churn.

Sorry I can't find a copy in my mail box archive at all so it
looks like it was lost on the way to my mail server.

Unfortunately emails are lossy so sometimes things to tend to
get lost. The best thing to do if you get no reply at all is
to resend your patch.

If I don't like something I will tell you in no uncertain
terms :)

> Please let me know what is the best channels to send
> crypto patches through so that they are not lost. Thanks.

linux-crypto is the best list but please CC me too.

Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[email protected]>

* Denys Vlasenko | 2007-10-18 12:28:13 [+0100]:

>I want to rediff and resend it. I also want to send patches
>for other modules (e.g. camellia, aes).
I'm going to unify the aes key setup on i386/x86_64/generic code on aes.
It should work from what I thing but I am not sure :) Are planning/doing
the same thing on aes?

>vda

Sebastian

2007-10-20 04:57:28

by Denys Vlasenko

On Thursday 18 October 2007 20:19, Sebastian Siewior wrote:
> * Denys Vlasenko | 2007-10-18 12:28:13 [+0100]:
>
> >I want to rediff and resend it. I also want to send patches
> >for other modules (e.g. camellia, aes).
> I'm going to unify the aes key setup on i386/x86_64/generic code on aes.
> It should work from what I thing but I am not sure :) Are planning/doing
> the same thing on aes?

I was thinking about measuring whether 64bit aes is really faster
than i386 one. i386 code seems to be already maxed out (at the first
glance), apart from using stack for temp storage. I wonder why
64bit one is completely different, and it worth testing -
maybe i386 code (only with saves to REX registers instead of stack)
will actually work faster in 64bit too.

But twofish and camellia are higher on my TODO list.
--
vda