2010-03-17 12:50:10

by Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos

Subject: cryptodev support

Hello,
I needed to access crypto hardware modules from userspace and I made
that by adding cryptodev support on top of linux-crypto. It is a
separate module available at:
http://repo.or.cz/w/cryptodev-linux.git

It was originally based on the old cryptodev module found at
http://www.logix.cz/michal/devel/cryptodev/

In the extras directory there is a patch for openssl that will make use
of the /dev/crypto. Gnutls (2.9.x) will use /dev/crypto if it compiled
with --enable-cryptodev.

regards,
Nikos

2010-03-17 13:10:19

by Emanuele Cesena

Subject: Re: cryptodev support

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 13:50 +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> Hello,
> I needed to access crypto hardware modules from userspace and I made
> that by adding cryptodev support on top of linux-crypto. It is a
> separate module available at:
> http://repo.or.cz/w/cryptodev-linux.git

I'm also interested in the userspace module (we are working on a patch
for opencryptoki), but this version looks quite different from the ideas
"recently" discussed in this mailing list and, probably even more
important, from the idea for future development (i.e. moving to a
socket-like interface).

Couldn't be useful to start discussing (read: receive directives) and
officially introduce cryptodev in linux-crypto, instead of losing so
many energies?

Best,
--
Emanuele Cesena <[email protected]>

Il corpo non ha ideali

2010-03-17 13:48:33

Emanuele Cesena wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 13:50 +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I needed to access crypto hardware modules from userspace and I made
>> that by adding cryptodev support on top of linux-crypto. It is a
>> separate module available at:
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/cryptodev-linux.git
>>
> I'm also interested in the userspace module (we are working on a patch
> for opencryptoki), but this version looks quite different from the ideas
> "recently" discussed in this mailing list and, probably even more
> important, from the idea for future development (i.e. moving to a
> socket-like interface).

I'm not aware of the discussion in the ml. I don't argue that this is
the only way to expose the internal API to userspace. It is one way that
few other OS's support as well. For this reason it is the best from the
user-space developer point of view to have a single API across many OS'.

regards,
Nikos

2010-03-17 14:01:16

by Emanuele Cesena

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 14:43 +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> It is one way that
> few other OS's support as well. For this reason it is the best from the
> user-space developer point of view to have a single API across many OS'.

This is really good, in my opinion.
What the others think?

Best,
--
Emanuele Cesena <[email protected]>

Il corpo non ha ideali

2010-04-11 12:28:44

Emanuele Cesena wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 14:43 +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
>> It is one way that
>> few other OS's support as well. For this reason it is the best from the
>> user-space developer point of view to have a single API across many OS'.
> This is really good, in my opinion.
> What the others think?

Hello,
For anyone interested in the /dev/crypto for linux I've setup a website
and made a beta release of the cryptodev module. It can be found at:
http://home.gna.org/cryptodev-linux/

regards,
Nikos