2013-10-30 00:11:29

by Joel Fernandes

Subject: [RFC] Unaligned CTR mode tests in crypto/testmgr.h

Hi,

Some tests such as test 5 in AES CTR mode in crypto/testmgr.h have a unaligned
input buffer size such as 499 which is not aligned to any > 0 power of 2.

Due to this, omap-aes driver, and I think atmel-aes too error out when
encryption is requested for these buffers.

pr_err("request size is not exact amount of AES blocks\n") or a similar message.

Is this failure considered a bug? How do we fix it?

How were the result output vectors generated, did you use 0 padding? Do we 0 pad
the inputs to align in these cases to get correct results?

thanks,

-Joel

2013-10-30 01:54:30

by Herbert Xu

Joel Fernandes <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some tests such as test 5 in AES CTR mode in crypto/testmgr.h have a unaligned
> input buffer size such as 499 which is not aligned to any > 0 power of 2.
>
> Due to this, omap-aes driver, and I think atmel-aes too error out when
> encryption is requested for these buffers.
>
> pr_err("request size is not exact amount of AES blocks\n") or a similar message.
>
> Is this failure considered a bug? How do we fix it?

Set your alignmask correctly and the crypto API will align the
input buffer for you.

Email: Herbert Xu <[email protected]>

by Jussi Kivilinna

On 30.10.2013 02:11, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some tests such as test 5 in AES CTR mode in crypto/testmgr.h have a unaligned
> input buffer size such as 499 which is not aligned to any > 0 power of 2.
>
> Due to this, omap-aes driver, and I think atmel-aes too error out when
> encryption is requested for these buffers.
>
> pr_err("request size is not exact amount of AES blocks\n") or a similar message.
>
> Is this failure considered a bug? How do we fix it?

Counter mode turns block cipher into stream cipher and implementation must handle
buffer lengths that do not match the block size of underlying block cipher.

> How were the result output vectors generated, did you use 0 padding? Do we 0 pad
> the inputs to align in these cases to get correct results?

See crypto/ctr.c:crypto_ctr_crypt_final() how to handle trailing bytes when
'buflen % AES_BLOCK_SIZE != 0'.

Basically, you encrypt the last counter block to generate the last keystream
block and xor only the 'buflen % AES_BLOCK_SIZE' bytes of last keystream block
with the tail bytes of source buffer:

key_last[0..15] = ENC(K, counter[0..15]);
dst_last[0..trailbytes-1] = src_last[0..trailbytes-1] ^ key_last[0..trailbytes-1];
/* key_last[trailbytes..15] discarded. */

Or if you want to use hardware that only does block-size aligned CTR encryption,
you can pad input to block size aligned length, do encryption, and then discard
those padding bytes after encryption:

src_padded[0..trailbytes-1] = src_last[0..trailbytes-1]
src_padded[trailbytes..15] = /* don't care, can be anything/uninitialized */
src_padded[0..15] = ENC_HW_CTR(src_padded[0..15]);
dst_last[0..trailbytes-1] = src_padded[0..trailbytes-1];
/* src_padded[trailbytes..15] discarded. */

Here, ENC_HW_CTR(in) internally does:
keystream[0..15] = ENC(K, counter[0..15]); INC_CTR(counter);
out[0..15] = in[0..15] ^ keystream[0..15];

-Jussi

> thanks,
>
> -Joel

by Joel Fernandes

Thanks! I'll try this today and follow up with a patch if I can get past the error.

Regards,

-Joel

2013-10-30 21:06:54

by Joel Fernandes

On 10/30/2013 06:09 AM, Jussi Kivilinna wrote:
> On 30.10.2013 02:11, Joel Fernandes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some tests such as test 5 in AES CTR mode in crypto/testmgr.h have a unaligned
>> input buffer size such as 499 which is not aligned to any > 0 power of 2.
>>
>> Due to this, omap-aes driver, and I think atmel-aes too error out when
>> encryption is requested for these buffers.
>>
>> pr_err("request size is not exact amount of AES blocks\n") or a similar message.
>>
>> Is this failure considered a bug? How do we fix it?
>
> Counter mode turns block cipher into stream cipher and implementation must handle
> buffer lengths that do not match the block size of underlying block cipher.
>

>> How were the result output vectors generated, did you use 0 padding? Do we 0 pad
>> the inputs to align in these cases to get correct results?
>
> See crypto/ctr.c:crypto_ctr_crypt_final() how to handle trailing bytes when
> 'buflen % AES_BLOCK_SIZE != 0'.
>
> Basically, you encrypt the last counter block to generate the last keystream
> block and xor only the 'buflen % AES_BLOCK_SIZE' bytes of last keystream block
> with the tail bytes of source buffer:
>
> key_last[0..15] = ENC(K, counter[0..15]);
> dst_last[0..trailbytes-1] = src_last[0..trailbytes-1] ^ key_last[0..trailbytes-1];
> /* key_last[trailbytes..15] discarded. */
>
> Or if you want to use hardware that only does block-size aligned CTR encryption,
> you can pad input to block size aligned length, do encryption, and then discard
> those padding bytes after encryption:
>
> src_padded[0..trailbytes-1] = src_last[0..trailbytes-1]
> src_padded[trailbytes..15] = /* don't care, can be anything/uninitialized */
> src_padded[0..15] = ENC_HW_CTR(src_padded[0..15]);
> dst_last[0..trailbytes-1] = src_padded[0..trailbytes-1];
> /* src_padded[trailbytes..15] discarded. */
>
> Here, ENC_HW_CTR(in) internally does:
> keystream[0..15] = ENC(K, counter[0..15]); INC_CTR(counter);
> out[0..15] = in[0..15] ^ keystream[0..15];

Thanks, I'll try that. Just one question- is it safe to assume the output buffer
(req->dst) is capable of holding those many bytes?

In your algorithm above, we're assuming here without allocating explicitly that
the output buffer passed to the driver has trailbytes..15 available. Because
otherwise we are in danger of introducing a memory leak, if we just assume they
are available in the output buffer.

That said, I don't want to allocate new buffer in the driver and then do copying
of encrypted data back into the output buffer. Because I did lot of hard work to
get rid of such code as it is slower.

thanks,

-Joel

2013-10-31 08:41:04

by Jussi Kivilinna

On 30.10.2013 23:06, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> On 10/30/2013 06:09 AM, Jussi Kivilinna wrote:
>> On 30.10.2013 02:11, Joel Fernandes wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Some tests such as test 5 in AES CTR mode in crypto/testmgr.h have a unaligned
>>> input buffer size such as 499 which is not aligned to any > 0 power of 2.
>>>
>>> Due to this, omap-aes driver, and I think atmel-aes too error out when
>>> encryption is requested for these buffers.
>>>
>>> pr_err("request size is not exact amount of AES blocks\n") or a similar message.
>>>
>>> Is this failure considered a bug? How do we fix it?
>>
>> Counter mode turns block cipher into stream cipher and implementation must handle
>> buffer lengths that do not match the block size of underlying block cipher.
>>

>>> How were the result output vectors generated, did you use 0 padding? Do we 0 pad
>>> the inputs to align in these cases to get correct results?
>>
>> See crypto/ctr.c:crypto_ctr_crypt_final() how to handle trailing bytes when
>> 'buflen % AES_BLOCK_SIZE != 0'.
>>
>> Basically, you encrypt the last counter block to generate the last keystream
>> block and xor only the 'buflen % AES_BLOCK_SIZE' bytes of last keystream block
>> with the tail bytes of source buffer:
>>
>> key_last[0..15] = ENC(K, counter[0..15]);
>> dst_last[0..trailbytes-1] = src_last[0..trailbytes-1] ^ key_last[0..trailbytes-1];
>> /* key_last[trailbytes..15] discarded. */
>>
>> Or if you want to use hardware that only does block-size aligned CTR encryption,
>> you can pad input to block size aligned length, do encryption, and then discard
>> those padding bytes after encryption:
>>
>> src_padded[0..trailbytes-1] = src_last[0..trailbytes-1]
>> src_padded[trailbytes..15] = /* don't care, can be anything/uninitialized */
>> src_padded[0..15] = ENC_HW_CTR(src_padded[0..15]);
>> dst_last[0..trailbytes-1] = src_padded[0..trailbytes-1];
>> /* src_padded[trailbytes..15] discarded. */
>>
>> Here, ENC_HW_CTR(in) internally does:
>> keystream[0..15] = ENC(K, counter[0..15]); INC_CTR(counter);
>> out[0..15] = in[0..15] ^ keystream[0..15];
>>

> Thanks, I'll try that. Just one question- is it safe to assume the output buffer
> (req->dst) is capable of holding those many bytes?
>
> In your algorithm above, we're assuming here without allocating explicitly that
> the output buffer passed to the driver has trailbytes..15 available. Because
> otherwise we are in danger of introducing a memory leak, if we just assume they
> are available in the output buffer.

In above example, I meant src_padded being temporary block-sized buffer to handle
the last trailing bytes. I don't think you can assume that req->dst would have
this extra space.

> That said, I don't want to allocate new buffer in the driver and then do copying
> of encrypted data back into the output buffer. Because I did lot of hard work to
> get rid of such code as it is slower.

Could you handle first 'buflen - buflen % blocksize' bytes as done currently without
extra copies and then handle the trailing bytes separately?

-Jussi