2008-11-07 10:27:23

by Dean Jenkins

Subject: What is the difference between aead.ko and authenc.ko ?

Hi,

Can anyone explain the difference between aead.ko and authenc.ko ?

How does crypto decide to use aead.ko instead of authenc.ko ? I am guessing it
is something to do with XFRM ?

Dean Jenkins
MontaVista Software

2008-11-10 06:50:46

by Herbert Xu

Dean Jenkins <[email protected]> wrote:

> Can anyone explain the difference between aead.ko and authenc.ko ?

AEAD is a type of crypto algorithms, just like cipher or hash.

Authenc is a particular AEAD algorithm, just like AES is a cipher
or SHA is a hash.

> How does crypto decide to use aead.ko instead of authenc.ko ? I am guessing it
> is something to do with XFRM ?

Well IPsec uses the AEAD interface so it loads the aead.ko due
to symbol dependencies. The authenc module is loaded if the
user specifies a normal block cipher and hash algorithm.

Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[email protected]>