2006-09-26 20:42:09

by Andrew Morton

Subject: ext3 merge status

I'll plan on merging the following patches into Linus's tree this week:

jbd-add-lock-annotation-to-jbd_sync_bh.patch
ext3-and-jbd-cleanup-remove-whitespace.patch
jbd-use-build_bug_on-in-journal-init.patch
fix-ext3-mounts-at-16t.patch
fix-ext3-mounts-at-16t-fix.patch
fix-ext2-mounts-at-16t.patch
fix-ext2-mounts-at-16t-fix.patch
ext3-inode-numbers-are-unsigned-long.patch
ext3-inode-numbers-are-unsigned-long-fix.patch
jbd-16t-fixes.patch
ext3-turn-on-reservation-dump-on-block-allocation-errors.patch
ext3-add-more-comments-in-block-allocation-reservation-code.patch
ext3-wrong-error-behavior.patch
ext3-more-whitespace-cleanups.patch
ext3-fix-sparse-warnings.patch
more-ext3-16t-overflow-fixes.patch
more-ext3-16t-overflow-fixes-fix.patch
fs-conversions-from-kmallocmemset-to-kzcalloc.patch
fs-removing-useless-casts.patch
really-ignore-kmem_cache_destroy-return-value.patch

Once that's done, the remaining patches touch on ext3:

git-block.patch
inode-diet-eliminate-i_blksize-and-use-a-per-superblock-default.patch
vectorize-aio_read-aio_write-fileop-methods.patch
remove-readv-writev-methods-and-use-aio_read-aio_write.patch
fs-cache-provide-a-filesystem-specific-syncable-page-bit.patch
r-o-bind-mount-unlink-monitor-i_nlink.patch
r-o-bind-mount-prepwork-inc_nlink-helper.patch
r-o-bind-mount-monitor-zeroing-of-i_nlink.patch

These are harder.

Jens needs to get a wiggle on with merging the block tree (please).

The inode-diet stuff I guess I'll merge next week. It'll need a splitup
because it has gfs2 bits in it, and boy it has needed a lot of fixups...

The AIO vectorisation work can maybe be merged next week, but I need to
check whether doing do will complicate the needed fixups and speedups in
the core writev() code.

I don't know if we'll be merging the fs-cache code this time around - it's
largely in Trond and Christoph's hands.

I think the r-o-bind-mount stuff is ready to go, but it's simply banked up
behind a _lot_ of other stuff (including various subsystem trees) and it'll
take some time.

So I cannot guarantee that all this will be flushed by the time we do
the ext4 copy-n-paste. Nor can I guarantee that I'll be sufficiently
awake to spot (and handle) all patches which touch on ext3/jbd but which
fail to update ext4. Help.

2006-09-27 03:48:55

by Dave Kleikamp

Subject: Re: ext3 merge status

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 13:41 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> I'll plan on merging the following patches into Linus's tree this week:
>
> jbd-add-lock-annotation-to-jbd_sync_bh.patch
> ext3-and-jbd-cleanup-remove-whitespace.patch
> jbd-use-build_bug_on-in-journal-init.patch
> fix-ext3-mounts-at-16t.patch
> fix-ext3-mounts-at-16t-fix.patch
> fix-ext2-mounts-at-16t.patch
> fix-ext2-mounts-at-16t-fix.patch
> ext3-inode-numbers-are-unsigned-long.patch
> ext3-inode-numbers-are-unsigned-long-fix.patch
> jbd-16t-fixes.patch
> ext3-turn-on-reservation-dump-on-block-allocation-errors.patch
> ext3-add-more-comments-in-block-allocation-reservation-code.patch
> ext3-wrong-error-behavior.patch
> ext3-more-whitespace-cleanups.patch
> ext3-fix-sparse-warnings.patch
> more-ext3-16t-overflow-fixes.patch
> more-ext3-16t-overflow-fixes-fix.patch
> fs-conversions-from-kmallocmemset-to-kzcalloc.patch
> fs-removing-useless-casts.patch
> really-ignore-kmem_cache_destroy-return-value.patch
>
> Once that's done, the remaining patches touch on ext3:
>
> git-block.patch
> inode-diet-eliminate-i_blksize-and-use-a-per-superblock-default.patch
> vectorize-aio_read-aio_write-fileop-methods.patch
> remove-readv-writev-methods-and-use-aio_read-aio_write.patch
> fs-cache-provide-a-filesystem-specific-syncable-page-bit.patch
> r-o-bind-mount-unlink-monitor-i_nlink.patch
> r-o-bind-mount-prepwork-inc_nlink-helper.patch
> r-o-bind-mount-monitor-zeroing-of-i_nlink.patch
>
> These are harder.
>
> Jens needs to get a wiggle on with merging the block tree (please).
>
> The inode-diet stuff I guess I'll merge next week. It'll need a splitup
> because it has gfs2 bits in it, and boy it has needed a lot of fixups...
>
> The AIO vectorisation work can maybe be merged next week, but I need to
> check whether doing do will complicate the needed fixups and speedups in
> the core writev() code.
>
> I don't know if we'll be merging the fs-cache code this time around - it's
> largely in Trond and Christoph's hands.
>
> I think the r-o-bind-mount stuff is ready to go, but it's simply banked up
> behind a _lot_ of other stuff (including various subsystem trees) and it'll
> take some time.
>
> So I cannot guarantee that all this will be flushed by the time we do
> the ext4 copy-n-paste. Nor can I guarantee that I'll be sufficiently
> awake to spot (and handle) all patches which touch on ext3/jbd but which
> fail to update ext4. Help.

We've got the ext4 patchset arranged as patches against a verbatim copy
of ext3, so it should be easy enough to clone ext4 from whatever is in
ext3 at the time. (The same for jbd2.) I can monitor the changes to
ext3/jbd after that and make sure equivalent changes are made to
ext4/jbd2. It's pretty easy to use git to find those patches.

--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center

2006-09-27 11:34:54

by Jens Axboe

On Tue, Sep 26 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

> I'll plan on merging the following patches into Linus's tree this week:
>
> jbd-add-lock-annotation-to-jbd_sync_bh.patch
> ext3-and-jbd-cleanup-remove-whitespace.patch
> jbd-use-build_bug_on-in-journal-init.patch
> fix-ext3-mounts-at-16t.patch
> fix-ext3-mounts-at-16t-fix.patch
> fix-ext2-mounts-at-16t.patch
> fix-ext2-mounts-at-16t-fix.patch
> ext3-inode-numbers-are-unsigned-long.patch
> ext3-inode-numbers-are-unsigned-long-fix.patch
> jbd-16t-fixes.patch
> ext3-turn-on-reservation-dump-on-block-allocation-errors.patch
> ext3-add-more-comments-in-block-allocation-reservation-code.patch
> ext3-wrong-error-behavior.patch
> ext3-more-whitespace-cleanups.patch
> ext3-fix-sparse-warnings.patch
> more-ext3-16t-overflow-fixes.patch
> more-ext3-16t-overflow-fixes-fix.patch
> fs-conversions-from-kmallocmemset-to-kzcalloc.patch
> fs-removing-useless-casts.patch
> really-ignore-kmem_cache_destroy-return-value.patch
>
> Once that's done, the remaining patches touch on ext3:
>
> git-block.patch
> inode-diet-eliminate-i_blksize-and-use-a-per-superblock-default.patch
> vectorize-aio_read-aio_write-fileop-methods.patch
> remove-readv-writev-methods-and-use-aio_read-aio_write.patch
> fs-cache-provide-a-filesystem-specific-syncable-page-bit.patch
> r-o-bind-mount-unlink-monitor-i_nlink.patch
> r-o-bind-mount-prepwork-inc_nlink-helper.patch
> r-o-bind-mount-monitor-zeroing-of-i_nlink.patch
>
> These are harder.
>
> Jens needs to get a wiggle on with merging the block tree (please).

I had hoped that Linus would pull the block tree first, as I?m away on
vacation this week and cannot fix this up until sunday when I?m back.
I?ll get right on it then.

--
Jens Axboe

2006-09-27 18:26:24

by Trond Myklebust

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 13:41 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> I don't know if we'll be merging the fs-cache code this time around - it's
> largely in Trond and Christoph's hands.

I'm OK with it going in.

Cheers,
Trond