2006-10-17 00:40:46

by Ric Wheeler

Subject: CFP: Linux 2007 File System & IO Workshop

On February 12-13, we have put together a combined Linux file system &
IO 2-day workshop in San Jose, CA. Note that the USENIX File System and
Storage Technologies conference follows us in the same venue, so we hope
to get some interaction between the two groups as well as leverage the
USENIX people to help us get this done.

For more information, please see:

http://www.usenix.org/events/lsf07/

Please direct question to the program committee members. If you want to
hit all of us in one go, you can use:

ric

*
*

2006-10-17 22:41:04

by James Bottomley

Subject: Re: CFP: Linux 2007 File System & IO Workshop

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 20:40 -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> On February 12-13, we have put together a combined Linux file system &
> IO 2-day workshop in San Jose, CA. Note that the USENIX File System and
> Storage Technologies conference follows us in the same venue, so we hope
> to get some interaction between the two groups as well as leverage the
> USENIX people to help us get this done.
>
> For more information, please see:
>
> http://www.usenix.org/events/lsf07/

Just to clarify, this event is a follow on to the Vancouver Storage
summit. Although USENIX is helping us to run it, you don't have to be
a USENIX member to submit a position paper. The idea of the position
papers is to give the limited number of places (for storage we've got
about 20-25 and about the same again for fs) to people who have
interesting topics they need to discuss---so if you submit, be prepared
to make a presentation of it.

James

2006-10-17 23:25:06

by Luben Tuikov

--- James Bottomley <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 20:40 -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> > On February 12-13, we have put together a combined Linux file system &
> > IO 2-day workshop in San Jose, CA. Note that the USENIX File System and
> > Storage Technologies conference follows us in the same venue, so we hope
> > to get some interaction between the two groups as well as leverage the
> > USENIX people to help us get this done.
> >
> > For more information, please see:
> >
> > http://www.usenix.org/events/lsf07/
>
> Just to clarify, this event is a follow on to the Vancouver Storage
> summit.

The only mentioning of "Vancouver Storage summit" in the web content
therein was, quoting from http://www.usenix.org/events/lsf07/cfp/ :
* Progress reports on implementation of features discussed at the
Vancouver Storage Summit
So by "follow on" you mean "progress report" only? Or will this
event also accept and/or discuss new material?

> Although USENIX is helping us to run it, you don't have to be
> a USENIX member to submit a position paper. The idea of the position
> papers is to give the limited number of places (for storage we've got
> about 20-25 and about the same again for fs) to people who have
> interesting topics they need to discuss---so if you submit, be prepared
> to make a presentation of it.

Can I make a presentation of this paper:

Serial Attached SCSI, An Architecture For Linux
---------------------------------
This paper would start with an overview of SCSI (SCSI-3, that is), its
object oriented nature and why such is the direction of SCSI.

Then an introduction to SAS from this SCSI point of view will be given,
i.e. where it fits in the object oriented model, why and how. There may be
very little SAS technical introduction--a couple of sentences, something
anyone would understand and something sufficient for the latter sections of
the paper.

Then an introduction to SAS as an architecture in a SCSI stack would
follow. A layered, object oriented model will be presented, similar to the
one found in my code.

This will be accompanied with a SCSI "architectural roadmap", the how and
why the architecture.

Then an overview of pure-SCSI drivers would be given (at this point the
paper talks about implementations at each layer of the storage software
stack). Those are implementations which hide the transport layer completely
in their firmware, and present a pure SCSI "picture", a la SAM, to the
OS. How and why they do it and why it is better.

Then the paper would talk about what unifies those implementations, how it
can be done, and why it should be done this way. An introduction to SDI,
SCSI Driver Interface, would be presented.

There would be a section on a SCSI/ATA Translation, SAT, and a SAT
Layer (SATL). Where it fits, how and why. What its interface is and why.

The paper would include pictures and figures as necessary to show layers,
object oriented concepts and the like.

The thread is here:

Luben

2006-10-18 00:03:20

by James Bottomley

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 16:25 -0700, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> The only mentioning of "Vancouver Storage summit" in the web content
> therein was, quoting from http://www.usenix.org/events/lsf07/cfp/ :
> * Progress reports on implementation of features discussed at the
> Vancouver Storage Summit
> So by "follow on" you mean "progress report" only? Or will this
> event also accept and/or discuss new material?

That was only one of the topics ... there are several other suggestions
in the list you pulled that quote from.

> > Although USENIX is helping us to run it, you don't have to be
> > a USENIX member to submit a position paper. The idea of the position
> > papers is to give the limited number of places (for storage we've got
> > about 20-25 and about the same again for fs) to people who have
> > interesting topics they need to discuss---so if you submit, be prepared
> > to make a presentation of it.
>
> Can I make a presentation of this paper:

You can submit it as your position paper, certainly.

However, the object of this event is not to collect a list of papers to
be presented: it's not a conference with hundreds of attendees (if you
want to present to an audience, you should submit to FAST, which is such
a conference, with which we're co-located). It's a roundtable type
discussion with 20-25 people in the field; plus some plenary sessions to
get input and ideas from people working on the filesystem layer. The
object is to stimulate discussion of important issues (which may be
guided by papers or other materials). The position paper thing is only
to ensure people actually have things they want to discuss (and to allow
the programme committee to pick the attendees if there would be too
many).

James

2006-10-18 00:50:12

by Luben Tuikov

--- James Bottomley <[email protected]> wrote:
> You can submit it as your position paper, certainly.

It is not a "position" paper. There is too much SCSI
Architecture Model (SAM) in it. But from linux-scsi point of view
I guess it is.

> However, the object of this event is not to collect a list of papers to
> be presented: it's not a conference with hundreds of attendees (if you
> want to present to an audience, you should submit to FAST, which is such
> a conference, with which we're co-located). It's a roundtable type
> discussion with 20-25 people in the field; plus some plenary sessions to
> get input and ideas from people working on the filesystem layer. The
> object is to stimulate discussion of important issues (which may be
> guided by papers or other materials). The position paper thing is only
> to ensure people actually have things they want to discuss (and to allow
> the programme committee to pick the attendees if there would be too
> many).

Ok, so this is targeted at the same 20-25 Linux people who attended
the "Vancouver Storage summit" and you're just using FAST to co-locate.

I incorrectly assumed that this was targeted at storage professionals
not necessarily Linux related, but with Linux exposure so as to hear
new ideas and pathways. I also missed to see the "by-invitation" clause
at the top.

Thanks for the explanation!
Luben