Subject: May I suggested an update for ext4.txt file?

kernel 2.6.28.7
efs2prog: 1.41.4

File Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt states:

Or to configure an existing ext3 filesystem to support extents:

# tune2fs -O extents /dev/hda1

To convert from ext2 (a very old filesystem :) ) to ext4, it's necessary
to add more options. I'm not sure which one made the trick.

tune2fs -O
has_journal,dir_index,filetype,extent,flex_bg,sparse_super,large_file,huge_file,uninit_bg,dir_nlink,extra_isize

Also, /etc/filesystems does not contain an entry for
ext4. /etc/efs2prog.conf is ok.

-- Berendsen

Subject: Re: May I suggested an update for ext4.txt file?

>From http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4 "3.2. Migrate existing Ext3
filesystems to Ext4", instructions to migrate are different from the
ext4.txt file:

/* ----------------------- */

You need to use the tune2fs and fsck tools in the filesystem, and that
filesystem needs to be unmounted. Run:

* tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/yourfilesystem

After running this command you MUST run fsck. If you don't do it, Ext4
WILL NOT MOUNT your filesystem.

/* -------------------------- *

-- Berendsen

File Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt states:

Or to configure an existing ext3 filesystem to support extents:

# tune2fs -O extents /dev/hda1

To convert from ext2 (a very old filesystem :) ) to ext4, it's necessary
to add more options. I'm not sure which one made the trick.

tune2fs -O
has_journal,dir_index,filetype,extent,flex_bg,sparse_super,large_file,huge_file,uninit_bg,dir_nlink,extra_isize

Also, /etc/filesystems does not contain an entry for
ext4. /etc/efs2prog.conf is ok.

-- Berendsen

Andreas Friedrich Berendsen
SCA OCP MSCA A+ Linux+ Network+ HpMASE