2010-01-10 19:12:34

by Jeff Layton

Subject: Default size of journal?

Good afternoon!

I'm sorry if this is a repeat, but I was wondering what the
default journal size is for ext4 when it's built on a single
partition? Or does it vary in size as needed?

TIA!

Jeff

2010-01-11 06:41:12

by Andreas Dilger

Subject: Re: Default size of journal?

On 2010-01-10, at 15:12, Jeff Layton wrote:
> I'm sorry if this is a repeat, but I was wondering what the
> default journal size is for ext4 when it's built on a single
> partition? Or does it vary in size as needed?

It varies with the size of the filesystem. I believe the largest
default size is 128MB, but I don't know offhand what the cutoff size is.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group

2010-01-11 11:39:41

by Jeff Layton

Jeff Layton wrote:
> Andreas Dilger wrote:
>> On 2010-01-10, at 15:12, Jeff Layton wrote:
>>> I'm sorry if this is a repeat, but I was wondering what the
>>> default journal size is for ext4 when it's built on a single
>>> partition? Or does it vary in size as needed?
>>
>> It varies with the size of the filesystem. I believe the largest
>> default size is 128MB, but I don't know offhand what the cutoff size is.
>
> Is there a simple formula for how the journal size varies with the
> file system size? Perhaps linear?
Disregard - Eric answered it for me (didn't finish all my email before
responding). Apologies.

Jeff

2010-01-11 11:44:13

by Jeff Layton

Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On 2010-01-10, at 15:12, Jeff Layton wrote:
>> I'm sorry if this is a repeat, but I was wondering what the
>> default journal size is for ext4 when it's built on a single
>> partition? Or does it vary in size as needed?
>
> It varies with the size of the filesystem. I believe the largest
> default size is 128MB, but I don't know offhand what the cutoff size is.

Is there a simple formula for how the journal size varies with the
file system size? Perhaps linear?

Thanks!

Jeff