2007-06-29 20:01:35

by Andrew Morton

Subject: fallocate support for bitmap-based files

Guys, Mike and Sreenivasa at google are looking into implementing
fallocate() on ext2. Of course, any such implementation could and should
also be portable to ext3 and ext4 bitmapped files.

I believe that Sreenivasa will mainly be doing the implementation work.

The basic plan is as follows:

- Create (with tune2fs and mke2fs) a hidden file using one of the
reserved inode numbers. That file will be sized to have one bit for each
block in the partition. Let's call this the "unwritten block file".

The unwritten block file will be initialised with all-zeroes

- at fallocate()-time, allocate the blocks to the user's file (in some
yet-to-be-determined fashion) and, for each one which is uninitialised,
set its bit in the unwritten block file. The set bit means "this block
is uninitialised and needs to be zeroed out on read".

- truncate() would need to clear out set-bits in the unwritten blocks file.

- When the fs comes to read a block from disk, it will need to consult
the unwritten blocks file to see if that block should be zeroed by the
CPU.

- When the unwritten-block is written to, its bit in the unwritten blocks
file gets zeroed.

- An obvious efficiency concern: if a user file has no unwritten blocks
in it, we don't need to consult the unwritten blocks file.

Need to work out how to do this. An obvious solution would be to have
a number-of-unwritten-blocks counter in the inode. But do we have space
for that?

(I expect google and others would prefer that the on-disk format be
compatible with legacy ext2!)

- One concern is the following scenario:

- Mount fs with "new" kernel, fallocate() some blocks to a file.

- Now, mount the fs under "old" kernel (which doesn't understand the
unwritten blocks file).

- This kernel will be able to read uninitialised data from that
fallocated-to file, which is a security concern.

- Now, the "old" kernel writes some data to a fallocated block. But
this kernel doesn't know that it needs to clear that block's flag in
the unwritten blocks file!

- Now mount that fs under the "new" kernel and try to read that file.
The flag for the block is set, so this kernel will still zero out the
data on a read, thus corrupting the user's data

So how to fix this? Perhaps with a per-inode flag indicating "this
inode has unwritten blocks". But to fix this problem, we'd require that
the "old" kernel clear out that flag.

Can anyone propose a solution to this?

Ah, I can! Use the compatibility flags in such a way as to prevent the
"old" kernel from mounting this filesystem at all. To mount this fs
under an "old" kernel the user will need to run some tool which will

- read the unwritten blocks file

- for each set-bit in the unwritten blocks file, zero out the
corresponding block

- zero out the unwritten blocks file

- rewrite the superblock to indicate that this fs may now be mounted
by an "old" kernel.

Sound sane?

- I'm assuming that there are more reserved inodes available, and that
the changes to tune2fs and mke2fs will be basically a copy-n-paste job
from the `tune2fs -j' code. Correct?

- I haven't thought about what fsck changes would be needed.

Presumably quite a few. For example, fsck should check that set-bits
in the unwriten blobks file do not correspond to freed blocks. If they
do, that should be fixed up.

And fsck can check each inodes number-of-unwritten-blocks counters
against the unwritten blocks file (if we implement the per-inode
number-of-unwritten-blocks counter)

What else should fsck do?

- I haven't thought about the implications of porting this into ext3/4.
Probably the commit to the unwritten blocks file will need to be atomic
with the commit to the user's file's metadata, so the unwritten-blocks
file will effectively need to be in journalled-data mode.

Or, more likely, we access the unwritten blocks file via the blockdev
pagecache (ie: use bmap, like the journal file) and then we're just
talking direct to the disk's blocks and it becomes just more fs metadata.

- I guess resize2fs will need to be taught about the unwritten blocks
file: to shrink and grow it appropriately.

That's all I can think of for now - I probably missed something.

Suggestions and thought are sought, please.

2007-06-29 20:37:04

by Dave Kleikamp

Subject: Re: fallocate support for bitmap-based files

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 13:01 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Guys, Mike and Sreenivasa at google are looking into implementing
> fallocate() on ext2. Of course, any such implementation could and should
> also be portable to ext3 and ext4 bitmapped files.
>
> I believe that Sreenivasa will mainly be doing the implementation work.
>

> The basic plan is as follows:
>
> - Create (with tune2fs and mke2fs) a hidden file using one of the
> reserved inode numbers. That file will be sized to have one bit for each
> block in the partition. Let's call this the "unwritten block file".
>
> The unwritten block file will be initialised with all-zeroes
>
> - at fallocate()-time, allocate the blocks to the user's file (in some
> yet-to-be-determined fashion) and, for each one which is uninitialised,
> set its bit in the unwritten block file. The set bit means "this block
> is uninitialised and needs to be zeroed out on read".
>
> - truncate() would need to clear out set-bits in the unwritten blocks file.

By truncating the blocks file at the correct byte offset, only needing
to zero some bits of the last byte of the file.

> - When the fs comes to read a block from disk, it will need to consult
> the unwritten blocks file to see if that block should be zeroed by the
> CPU.
>
> - When the unwritten-block is written to, its bit in the unwritten blocks
> file gets zeroed.
>
> - An obvious efficiency concern: if a user file has no unwritten blocks
> in it, we don't need to consult the unwritten blocks file.
>
> Need to work out how to do this. An obvious solution would be to have
> a number-of-unwritten-blocks counter in the inode. But do we have space
> for that?

Would it be too expensive to test the blocks-file page each time a bit
is cleared to see if it is all-zero, and then free the page, making it a
hole? This test would stop if if finds any non-zero word, so it may not
be too bad. (This could further be done on a block basis if the block
size is less than a page.)

> (I expect google and others would prefer that the on-disk format be
> compatible with legacy ext2!)
>
> - One concern is the following scenario:
>
> - Mount fs with "new" kernel, fallocate() some blocks to a file.
>
> - Now, mount the fs under "old" kernel (which doesn't understand the
> unwritten blocks file).
>
> - This kernel will be able to read uninitialised data from that
> fallocated-to file, which is a security concern.
>
> - Now, the "old" kernel writes some data to a fallocated block. But
> this kernel doesn't know that it needs to clear that block's flag in
> the unwritten blocks file!
>
> - Now mount that fs under the "new" kernel and try to read that file.
> The flag for the block is set, so this kernel will still zero out the
> data on a read, thus corrupting the user's data
>
> So how to fix this? Perhaps with a per-inode flag indicating "this
> inode has unwritten blocks". But to fix this problem, we'd require that
> the "old" kernel clear out that flag.
>
> Can anyone propose a solution to this?
>
> Ah, I can! Use the compatibility flags in such a way as to prevent the
> "old" kernel from mounting this filesystem at all. To mount this fs
> under an "old" kernel the user will need to run some tool which will
>
> - read the unwritten blocks file
>
> - for each set-bit in the unwritten blocks file, zero out the
> corresponding block
>
> - zero out the unwritten blocks file
>
> - rewrite the superblock to indicate that this fs may now be mounted
> by an "old" kernel.
>
> Sound sane?

Yeah. I think it would have to be done under a compatibility flag. Is
going back to an older kernel really that important? I think it's more
important to make sure it can't be mounted by an older kernel if bad
things can happen, and they can.

Shaggy
--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center

2007-06-29 20:52:38

by Mike Waychison

Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 13:01 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
>>Guys, Mike and Sreenivasa at google are looking into implementing
>>fallocate() on ext2. Of course, any such implementation could and should
>>also be portable to ext3 and ext4 bitmapped files.
>>
>>I believe that Sreenivasa will mainly be doing the implementation work.
>>

>>The basic plan is as follows:
>>
>>- Create (with tune2fs and mke2fs) a hidden file using one of the
>> reserved inode numbers. That file will be sized to have one bit for each
>> block in the partition. Let's call this the "unwritten block file".
>>
>> The unwritten block file will be initialised with all-zeroes
>>
>>- at fallocate()-time, allocate the blocks to the user's file (in some
>> yet-to-be-determined fashion) and, for each one which is uninitialised,
>> set its bit in the unwritten block file. The set bit means "this block
>> is uninitialised and needs to be zeroed out on read".
>>
>>- truncate() would need to clear out set-bits in the unwritten blocks file.
>

> By truncating the blocks file at the correct byte offset, only needing
> to zero some bits of the last byte of the file.

We were thinking the unwritten blocks file would be indexed by physical
block number of the block device. There wouldn't be a logical to
physical relationship for the blocks, so we wouldn't be able to get away
with truncating the blocks file itself.

>>- When the fs comes to read a block from disk, it will need to consult
>> the unwritten blocks file to see if that block should be zeroed by the
>> CPU.
>>
>>- When the unwritten-block is written to, its bit in the unwritten blocks
>> file gets zeroed.
>>
>>- An obvious efficiency concern: if a user file has no unwritten blocks
>> in it, we don't need to consult the unwritten blocks file.
>>
>> Need to work out how to do this. An obvious solution would be to have
>> a number-of-unwritten-blocks counter in the inode. But do we have space
>> for that?
>

> Would it be too expensive to test the blocks-file page each time a bit
> is cleared to see if it is all-zero, and then free the page, making it a
> hole? This test would stop if if finds any non-zero word, so it may not
> be too bad. (This could further be done on a block basis if the block
> size is less than a page.)

When clearing the bits, we'd likely see a large stream of writes to the
unwritten blocks, which could result in a O(n^2) pass of rescanning the
page over and over. Maybe a per-unwritten-block-file block
per-block-header with a count that could be cheaply tested? Ie: the
unwritten block file is composed of blocks that each have a small header
that contains count -- when the count hits zero, we could punch a hole
in the file.

>> (I expect google and others would prefer that the on-disk format be
>> compatible with legacy ext2!)
>>
>>- One concern is the following scenario:
>>
>> - Mount fs with "new" kernel, fallocate() some blocks to a file.
>>
>> - Now, mount the fs under "old" kernel (which doesn't understand the
>> unwritten blocks file).
>>
>> - This kernel will be able to read uninitialised data from that
>> fallocated-to file, which is a security concern.
>>
>> - Now, the "old" kernel writes some data to a fallocated block. But
>> this kernel doesn't know that it needs to clear that block's flag in
>> the unwritten blocks file!
>>
>> - Now mount that fs under the "new" kernel and try to read that file.
>> The flag for the block is set, so this kernel will still zero out the
>> data on a read, thus corrupting the user's data
>>
>> So how to fix this? Perhaps with a per-inode flag indicating "this
>> inode has unwritten blocks". But to fix this problem, we'd require that
>> the "old" kernel clear out that flag.
>>
>> Can anyone propose a solution to this?
>>
>> Ah, I can! Use the compatibility flags in such a way as to prevent the
>> "old" kernel from mounting this filesystem at all. To mount this fs
>> under an "old" kernel the user will need to run some tool which will
>>
>> - read the unwritten blocks file
>>
>> - for each set-bit in the unwritten blocks file, zero out the
>> corresponding block
>>
>> - zero out the unwritten blocks file
>>
>> - rewrite the superblock to indicate that this fs may now be mounted
>> by an "old" kernel.
>>
>> Sound sane?
>

> Yeah. I think it would have to be done under a compatibility flag. Is
> going back to an older kernel really that important? I think it's more
> important to make sure it can't be mounted by an older kernel if bad
> things can happen, and they can.

Ya, I too was originally thinking of a compat flag to keep the old
kernel from mounting the filesystem. We'd arrange our bootup scripts to
check for compatibility and call out to tune2fs (or some other tool) to
down convert (by simply writing out zero blocks for each bit set and
clearing the bitmap).

Mike Waychison

2007-06-29 20:55:35

by Theodore Ts'o

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 01:01:20PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Guys, Mike and Sreenivasa at google are looking into implementing
> fallocate() on ext2. Of course, any such implementation could and should
> also be portable to ext3 and ext4 bitmapped files.

What's the eventual goal of this work? Would it be for mainline use,
or just something that would be used internally at Google? I'm not
particularly ennthused about supporting two ways of doing fallocate();
one for ext4 and one for bitmap-based files in ext2/3/4. Is the
benefit reallyworth it?

What I would suggest, which would make much easier, is to make this be
an incompatible extensions (which you as you point out is needed for
security reasons anyway) and then steal the high bit from the block
number field to indicate whether or not the block has been initialized
or not. That way you don't end up having to seek to a potentially
distant part of the disk to check out the bitmap. Also, you don't
have to worry about how to recover if the "block initialized bitmap"
inode gets smashed.

The downside is that it reduces the maximum size of the filesystem
supported by ext2 by a factor of two. But, there are at least two
patch series floating about that promise to allow filesystem block
sizes > than PAGE_SIZE which would allow you to recover the maximum
size supported by the filesytem.

Furthermore, I suspect (especially after listening to a very fasting
Usenix Invited Talk by Jeffery Dean, a fellow from Google two weeks
ago) that for many of Google's workloads, using a filesystem blocksize
of 16K or 32K might not be a bad thing in any case.

It would be a lot simpler....

- Ted

2007-06-29 21:25:03

by Dave Kleikamp

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 16:52 -0400, Mike Waychison wrote:
> Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> >
> > By truncating the blocks file at the correct byte offset, only needing
> > to zero some bits of the last byte of the file.
>
> We were thinking the unwritten blocks file would be indexed by physical
> block number of the block device. There wouldn't be a logical to
> physical relationship for the blocks, so we wouldn't be able to get away
> with truncating the blocks file itself.

I misunderstood. I was thinking about a block-file per regular file
(that had preallocated blocks). Ignore that comment.

> >>- When the fs comes to read a block from disk, it will need to consult
> >> the unwritten blocks file to see if that block should be zeroed by the
> >> CPU.
> >>
> >>- When the unwritten-block is written to, its bit in the unwritten blocks
> >> file gets zeroed.
> >>
> >>- An obvious efficiency concern: if a user file has no unwritten blocks
> >> in it, we don't need to consult the unwritten blocks file.
> >>
> >> Need to work out how to do this. An obvious solution would be to have
> >> a number-of-unwritten-blocks counter in the inode. But do we have space
> >> for that?
> >

> > Would it be too expensive to test the blocks-file page each time a bit
> > is cleared to see if it is all-zero, and then free the page, making it a
> > hole? This test would stop if if finds any non-zero word, so it may not
> > be too bad. (This could further be done on a block basis if the block
> > size is less than a page.)
>
> When clearing the bits, we'd likely see a large stream of writes to the
> unwritten blocks, which could result in a O(n^2) pass of rescanning the
> page over and over.

If you start checking for zero at the bit that was just zeroed, you'd
likely find a non-zero bit right away, so you wouldn't be looking at too
much of the page in the typical case.

> Maybe a per-unwritten-block-file block
> per-block-header with a count that could be cheaply tested? Ie: the
> unwritten block file is composed of blocks that each have a small header
> that contains count -- when the count hits zero, we could punch a hole
> in the file.

Having the data be just a bitmap seems more elegant to me. It would be
nice to avoid keeping a count in the bitmap page if possible.
--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center

2007-06-29 21:38:59

by Andrew Morton

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:55:25 -0400
Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 01:01:20PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > Guys, Mike and Sreenivasa at google are looking into implementing
> > fallocate() on ext2. Of course, any such implementation could and should
> > also be portable to ext3 and ext4 bitmapped files.
>
> What's the eventual goal of this work? Would it be for mainline use,
> or just something that would be used internally at Google?

Mainline, preferably.

> I'm not
> particularly ennthused about supporting two ways of doing fallocate();
> one for ext4 and one for bitmap-based files in ext2/3/4. Is the
> benefit reallyworth it?

umm, it's worth it if you don't want to wear the overhead of journalling,
and/or if you don't want to wait on the, err, rather slow progress of ext4.

> What I would suggest, which would make much easier, is to make this be
> an incompatible extensions (which you as you point out is needed for
> security reasons anyway) and then steal the high bit from the block
> number field to indicate whether or not the block has been initialized
> or not. That way you don't end up having to seek to a potentially
> distant part of the disk to check out the bitmap. Also, you don't
> have to worry about how to recover if the "block initialized bitmap"
> inode gets smashed.
>
> The downside is that it reduces the maximum size of the filesystem
> supported by ext2 by a factor of two. But, there are at least two
> patch series floating about that promise to allow filesystem block
> sizes > than PAGE_SIZE which would allow you to recover the maximum
> size supported by the filesytem.
>
> Furthermore, I suspect (especially after listening to a very fasting
> Usenix Invited Talk by Jeffery Dean, a fellow from Google two weeks
> ago) that for many of Google's workloads, using a filesystem blocksize
> of 16K or 32K might not be a bad thing in any case.
>
> It would be a lot simpler....

Hadn't thought of that.

Also, it's unclear to me why google is going this way rather than using
(perhaps suitably-tweaked) ext2 reservations code.

Because the stock ext2 block allcoator sucks big-time.

2007-06-29 21:46:17

by Andreas Dilger

On Jun 29, 2007 16:55 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> What's the eventual goal of this work? Would it be for mainline use,
> or just something that would be used internally at Google? I'm not
> particularly ennthused about supporting two ways of doing fallocate();
> one for ext4 and one for bitmap-based files in ext2/3/4. Is the
> benefit reallyworth it?
>
> What I would suggest, which would make much easier, is to make this be
> an incompatible extensions (which you as you point out is needed for
> security reasons anyway) and then steal the high bit from the block
> number field to indicate whether or not the block has been initialized
> or not. That way you don't end up having to seek to a potentially
> distant part of the disk to check out the bitmap. Also, you don't
> have to worry about how to recover if the "block initialized bitmap"
> inode gets smashed.
>
> The downside is that it reduces the maximum size of the filesystem
> supported by ext2 by a factor of two. But, there are at least two
> patch series floating about that promise to allow filesystem block
> sizes > than PAGE_SIZE which would allow you to recover the maximum
> size supported by the filesytem.

I don't think ext2 is safe for > 8TB filesystems anyways, so this
isn't a huge loss.

The other possibility is, assuming Google likes ext2 because they
don't care about e2fsck, is to patch ext4 to not use any
journaling (i.e. make all of the ext4_journal*() wrappers be
no-ops). That way they would get extents, mballoc and other speedups.

That said, what is the reason for not using ext3? Presumably performance
(which is greatly improved in ext4) or is there something else?

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer

2007-06-29 22:07:50

by Mike Waychison

Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:55:25 -0400
> Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 01:01:20PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>>
>>>Guys, Mike and Sreenivasa at google are looking into implementing
>>>fallocate() on ext2. Of course, any such implementation could and should
>>>also be portable to ext3 and ext4 bitmapped files.
>>
>>What's the eventual goal of this work? Would it be for mainline use,
>>or just something that would be used internally at Google?
>

> Mainline, preferably.
>

>> I'm not
>>particularly ennthused about supporting two ways of doing fallocate();
>>one for ext4 and one for bitmap-based files in ext2/3/4. Is the
>>benefit reallyworth it?
>

> umm, it's worth it if you don't want to wear the overhead of journalling,
> and/or if you don't want to wait on the, err, rather slow progress of ext4.
>

>>What I would suggest, which would make much easier, is to make this be
>>an incompatible extensions (which you as you point out is needed for
>>security reasons anyway) and then steal the high bit from the block
>>number field to indicate whether or not the block has been initialized
>>or not. That way you don't end up having to seek to a potentially
>>distant part of the disk to check out the bitmap. Also, you don't
>>have to worry about how to recover if the "block initialized bitmap"
>>inode gets smashed.
>>
>>The downside is that it reduces the maximum size of the filesystem
>>supported by ext2 by a factor of two. But, there are at least two
>>patch series floating about that promise to allow filesystem block
>>sizes > than PAGE_SIZE which would allow you to recover the maximum
>>size supported by the filesytem.
>>
>>Furthermore, I suspect (especially after listening to a very fasting
>>Usenix Invited Talk by Jeffery Dean, a fellow from Google two weeks
>>ago) that for many of Google's workloads, using a filesystem blocksize
>>of 16K or 32K might not be a bad thing in any case.
>>
>>It would be a lot simpler....
>>

> Hadn't thought of that.
>
> Also, it's unclear to me why google is going this way rather than using
> (perhaps suitably-tweaked) ext2 reservations code.
>
> Because the stock ext2 block allcoator sucks big-time.

The primary reason this is a problem is that our writers into these
files aren't neccesarily coming from the same hosts in the cluster, so
their arrival times aren't sequential. It ends up looking to the kernel
like a random write workload, which in turn ends up causing odd
fragmentation patterns that aren't very deterministic. That data is
often eventually streamed off the disk though, which is when the
fragmentation hurts.

Currently, our clustered filesystem supports pre-allocation of the
target chunks of files, but this is implemented by writting effectively
zeroes to files, which in turn causes pagecache churn and a double
write-out of the blocks. Recently, we've changed the code to minimize
this pagecache churn and double write out by performing an ftruncate to
extend files, but then we'll be back to square-one in terms of
fragmentation for the random writes.

Relying on (a tweaked) reservations code is also somewhat limitting at
this stage given that reservations are lost on close(fd). Unless we
change the lifetime of the reservations (maybe for the lifetime of the
in-core inode?), crank up the reservation sizes and deal with the
overcommit issues, I can't think of any better way at this time to deal
with the problem.

Mike Waychison

2007-06-29 22:27:22

by Mike Waychison

Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2007 16:55 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
>
>>What's the eventual goal of this work? Would it be for mainline use,
>>or just something that would be used internally at Google? I'm not
>>particularly ennthused about supporting two ways of doing fallocate();
>>one for ext4 and one for bitmap-based files in ext2/3/4. Is the
>>benefit reallyworth it?
>>
>>What I would suggest, which would make much easier, is to make this be
>>an incompatible extensions (which you as you point out is needed for
>>security reasons anyway) and then steal the high bit from the block
>>number field to indicate whether or not the block has been initialized
>>or not. That way you don't end up having to seek to a potentially
>>distant part of the disk to check out the bitmap. Also, you don't
>>have to worry about how to recover if the "block initialized bitmap"
>>inode gets smashed.
>>
>>The downside is that it reduces the maximum size of the filesystem
>>supported by ext2 by a factor of two. But, there are at least two
>>patch series floating about that promise to allow filesystem block
>>sizes > than PAGE_SIZE which would allow you to recover the maximum
>>size supported by the filesytem.
>

> I don't think ext2 is safe for > 8TB filesystems anyways, so this
> isn't a huge loss.

This is reference to the idea of overloading the high-bit and not
related to the >PAGE_SIZE blocks correct?

> The other possibility is, assuming Google likes ext2 because they
> don't care about e2fsck, is to patch ext4 to not use any
> journaling (i.e. make all of the ext4_journal*() wrappers be
> no-ops). That way they would get extents, mballoc and other speedups.

We do care about the e2fsck problem, though the cost/benefit of e2fsck
times/memory problems vs the overhead of journalling doesn't weigh in
journalling's favour for a lot of our per-spindle-latency bound
applications. These apps manage to get pretty good disk locality
guarantees and the journal overheads can induce undesired head movement.

ext4 does look very promising, though I'm not certain it's ready for our
consumption.

What are people's thoughts on providing ext3 non-journal mode? We could
benefit from several of the additions to ext3 that aren't available in
ext2 and disabling journalling there sounds much more feasible for us
instead of trying to backport each ext3 component to ext2.

Mike Waychison

> That said, what is the reason for not using ext3? Presumably performance
> (which is greatly improved in ext4) or is there something else?
>
> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger
> Principal Software Engineer
> Cluster File Systems, Inc.

2007-06-30 05:14:38

by Andreas Dilger

On Jun 29, 2007 18:26 -0400, Mike Waychison wrote:
> Andreas Dilger wrote:
> >I don't think ext2 is safe for > 8TB filesystems anyways, so this
> >isn't a huge loss.
>
> This is reference to the idea of overloading the high-bit and not
> related to the >PAGE_SIZE blocks correct?

Correct - just that the high-bit use wouldn't unduely impact the
already-existing 8TB limit of ext2.

The other thing to note is that Val Henson already ported the ext3
reservation code to ext2, so this is a pretty straight forward
option for you and also doesn't affect the on-disk format.

> >The other possibility is, assuming Google likes ext2 because they
> >don't care about e2fsck, is to patch ext4 to not use any
> >journaling (i.e. make all of the ext4_journal*() wrappers be
> >no-ops). That way they would get extents, mballoc and other speedups.
>
> We do care about the e2fsck problem, though the cost/benefit of e2fsck
> times/memory problems vs the overhead of journalling doesn't weigh in
> journalling's favour for a lot of our per-spindle-latency bound
> applications. These apps manage to get pretty good disk locality
> guarantees and the journal overheads can induce undesired head movement.

You could push the journal to a separate spindle, but that may not be
practical.

> ext4 does look very promising, though I'm not certain it's ready for our
> consumption.

FYI, the extents code (the most complex part of ext4) has been running for
a couple of years on many PB of storage at CFS, so it is by no means new
and untried code. There are definitely less-well tested changes in ext4
but they are mostly straight forward. I'm not saying you should jump right
into ext4, but it isn't as far away as you might think.

> What are people's thoughts on providing ext3 non-journal mode? We could
> benefit from several of the additions to ext3 that aren't available in
> ext2 and disabling journalling there sounds much more feasible for us
> instead of trying to backport each ext3 component to ext2.

This is something we've talked about for a long time, and I'd be happy to
have this possibility. This would also allow you to take similar advantage
of extents, the improved allocator and other features.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer
Cluster File Systems, Inc.

2007-06-30 14:13:23

by Mingming Cao

> [...]
> against the unwritten blocks file (if we implement the per-inode
> number-of-unwritten-blocks counter)
>
> What else should fsck do?
>
> - I haven't thought about the implications of porting this into ext3/4.
> Probably the commit to the unwritten blocks file will need to be atomic
> with the commit to the user's file's metadata, so the unwritten-blocks
> file will effectively need to be in journalled-data mode.
>
> Or, more likely, we access the unwritten blocks file via the blockdev
> pagecache (ie: use bmap, like the journal file) and then we're just
> talking direct to the disk's blocks and it becomes just more fs metadata.
>
> - I guess resize2fs will need to be taught about the unwritten blocks
> file: to shrink and grow it appropriately.
>

> That's all I can think of for now - I probably missed something.
>
> Suggestions and thought are sought, please.

Another approach we have been thinking is using a backing
inode(per-inode-with-preallocation) to store the preallocated blocks.
When user asked for preallocation on the base inode, ext2/3 create a
temporary backing inode, and it's (pre)allocate the
corresponding blocks in the backing inode.

When writes to the base inode, and realize we need to block allocation
on, before doing the fs real block allocation, it will check if the file
has a backing inode stores some preallocated blocks for the same logical
blocks. If so, it will transfer the preallocated blocks from backing
inode to the base inode.

We need to link the two inodes in some way, maybe store the backing
inode number via EA in the base inode, and flag the base inode that it
has a backing inode to get preallocated blocks.

Since it doesn't change the block mapping on the original file until
writeout, so it doesn't require a incompat feature to protect the
preallocated contents to be read in "old" kernel. There some work need
to be done in e2fsck to understand the backing inode.

Mingming

2007-06-30 14:31:51

by Mingming Cao

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 01:14 -0400, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2007 18:26 -0400, Mike Waychison wrote:
> > Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > >I don't think ext2 is safe for > 8TB filesystems anyways, so this
> > >isn't a huge loss.
> >
> > This is reference to the idea of overloading the high-bit and not
> > related to the >PAGE_SIZE blocks correct?
>
> Correct - just that the high-bit use wouldn't unduely impact the
> already-existing 8TB limit of ext2.

The 8TB limit on mainline ext2 was simplely caused by kernel block
variable type bugs. The bug fixes were ported back from ext3 to ext2,
when reservation+simple-multiple-balloc were backported from ext3 to
ext2. I believe ext2 in mm tree is able to address 16TB in the kernel
side. Not sure if there are remaining work to be done in e2fsck to
handle 16TB ext2, but I assume it's not huge work.

Mingming

2007-07-01 16:21:55

by Andreas Dilger

On Jun 30, 2007 10:13 -0400, Mingming Cao wrote:
> Another approach we have been thinking is using a backing
> inode(per-inode-with-preallocation) to store the preallocated blocks.
> When user asked for preallocation on the base inode, ext2/3 create a
> temporary backing inode, and it's (pre)allocate the corresponding
> blocks in the backing inode.
>
> When writes to the base inode, and realize we need to block allocation
> on, before doing the fs real block allocation, it will check if the file
> has a backing inode stores some preallocated blocks for the same logical
> blocks. If so, it will transfer the preallocated blocks from backing
> inode to the base inode.
>
> We need to link the two inodes in some way, maybe store the backing
> inode number via EA in the base inode, and flag the base inode that it
> has a backing inode to get preallocated blocks.
>
> Since it doesn't change the block mapping on the original file until
> writeout, so it doesn't require a incompat feature to protect the
> preallocated contents to be read in "old" kernel. There some work need
> to be done in e2fsck to understand the backing inode.

I don't know if you realize, but this is half-way to supporting
snapshots within the filesystem. If there are any serious efforts in
the direction of snapshots, you should start by looking at ext3cow,
which does that already. I haven't looked at that code yet, but I
worked on a snapshotting ext2 many years ago and it was implemented
nearly as you describe (though backward, moving blocks from the "real"
file to the shadow inode).

The OTHER thing that is important for snapshots, is quite easy to
implement now (it even makes the filesystem more robust), but will be
considerably harder to do later, and something I wish someone could work
on is to add "whiteout" support for extents to allow extents in a file
to explicitly encode a hole in the file to "hide" the contents in a
backing/snapshot inode that was truncated away, as described in my email
"[RFC] extent whiteouts" (that nobody ever commented on).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer
Cluster File Systems, Inc.

2007-07-02 17:43:24

by Badari Pulavarty

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 10:13 -0400, Mingming Cao wrote:
> [...]
> temporary backing inode, and it's (pre)allocate the
> corresponding blocks in the backing inode.
>
> When writes to the base inode, and realize we need to block allocation
> on, before doing the fs real block allocation, it will check if the file
> has a backing inode stores some preallocated blocks for the same logical
> blocks. If so, it will transfer the preallocated blocks from backing
> inode to the base inode.
>
> We need to link the two inodes in some way, maybe store the backing
> inode number via EA in the base inode, and flag the base inode that it
> has a backing inode to get preallocated blocks.
>
> Since it doesn't change the block mapping on the original file until
> writeout, so it doesn't require a incompat feature to protect the
> preallocated contents to be read in "old" kernel. There some work need
> to be done in e2fsck to understand the backing inode.

Small detail - we need to mark size of the backing inode to zero --
so that if we ever boot on older kernel, we will not be able to read
the contents of that inode. (Ofcourse, this also means that fsck
would remove that inode if we run fscheck).

Thanks,
Badari

2007-07-02 17:44:54

by Mingming Cao

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 13:29 -0400, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2007 10:13 -0400, Mingming Cao wrote:
> > Another approach we have been thinking is using a backing
> > inode(per-inode-with-preallocation) to store the preallocated blocks.
> > When user asked for preallocation on the base inode, ext2/3 create a
> > temporary backing inode, and it's (pre)allocate the corresponding
> > blocks in the backing inode.
> >
> > When writes to the base inode, and realize we need to block allocation
> > on, before doing the fs real block allocation, it will check if the file
> > has a backing inode stores some preallocated blocks for the same logical
> > blocks. If so, it will transfer the preallocated blocks from backing
> > inode to the base inode.
> >
> > We need to link the two inodes in some way, maybe store the backing
> > inode number via EA in the base inode, and flag the base inode that it
> > has a backing inode to get preallocated blocks.
> >
> > Since it doesn't change the block mapping on the original file until
> > writeout, so it doesn't require a incompat feature to protect the
> > preallocated contents to be read in "old" kernel. There some work need
> > to be done in e2fsck to understand the backing inode.
>
> I don't know if you realize, but this is half-way to supporting
> snapshots within the filesystem.

>From your description it seems similar, but not sure if it's half-way
yet. Just to clarify: What's stored in the backing inode(in the
preallocation case) is just metablocks, not data blocks. The transfer
(from backing inode to the base inode) do not involve any data blocks
migration.

Another comment, if we seriously looking for supporting preallocation in
ext2 in upstreeam, I'd like to choose a solution suitable for ext3 as
well. Taking a bit from block number to flag preallocated blocks means
reduce ext2/3 fs limit to 8TB, which probably not a big deal for ext2,
but not so good for ext3.

Mingming

2007-07-04 23:46:28

by Valerie Henson

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 06:07:25PM -0400, Mike Waychison wrote:

> Relying on (a tweaked) reservations code is also somewhat limitting at
> this stage given that reservations are lost on close(fd). Unless we
> change the lifetime of the reservations (maybe for the lifetime of the
> in-core inode?), crank up the reservation sizes and deal with the
> overcommit issues, I can't think of any better way at this time to deal
> with the problem.

While I never ever intended the ext3-to-ext2 reservations port to be
used :), I think you can make some fairly minor tweaks to it and get
something that works for your use case. Move the reservation drop to
iput() and turn up your inode cache size, or store it in a tree when
the inode is closed and go look for it again when it's reopened.
Changing the reservation size seems fairly easy. I'm not sure how the
overcommit issues affect your use case; any data you can share on
that?

In any case, storing the reservation data on-disk seems like not such
a great idea. It adds complexity, disk traffic, and a new set of
checks for fsck. I wouldn't want to incur that cost unless absolutely
necessary.

-VAL

2007-07-06 21:16:01

by Mike Waychison

Valerie Henson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 06:07:25PM -0400, Mike Waychison wrote:
>> Relying on (a tweaked) reservations code is also somewhat limitting at
>> this stage given that reservations are lost on close(fd). Unless we
>> change the lifetime of the reservations (maybe for the lifetime of the
>> in-core inode?), crank up the reservation sizes and deal with the
>> overcommit issues, I can't think of any better way at this time to deal
>> with the problem.
>
> While I never ever intended the ext3-to-ext2 reservations port to be
> used :), I think you can make some fairly minor tweaks to it and get
> something that works for your use case. Move the reservation drop to
> iput() and turn up your inode cache size, or store it in a tree when
> the inode is closed and go look for it again when it's reopened.
> Changing the reservation size seems fairly easy. I'm not sure how the
> overcommit issues affect your use case; any data you can share on
> that?

The overcommit is speculation on my part. GFS uses a lot of files on
the disks and we like to keep the disks near full, especially in large
GFS configurations. If we end up with a lot of reservations in-core,
associated with the inode cache, we begin to rely on memory pressure for
getting the reserved blocks back. That memory pressure may not exist
(leading to ENOSPC). Unless the code is adapted to cull reservations in
that case.

> In any case, storing the reservation data on-disk seems like not such
> a great idea. It adds complexity, disk traffic, and a new set of
> checks for fsck. I wouldn't want to incur that cost unless absolutely
> necessary.

Ya, I wouldn't want the reservations on disk either unless it came in as
an explicit pre-allocation request (and was accounted for in statfs
info). I'm treating that as a completely different beast at the moment.

Mike Waychison

2007-07-06 21:33:36

by Mike Waychison

Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> [...]
>> has a backing inode stores some preallocated blocks for the same logical
>> blocks. If so, it will transfer the preallocated blocks from backing
>> inode to the base inode.
>>
>> We need to link the two inodes in some way, maybe store the backing
>> inode number via EA in the base inode, and flag the base inode that it
>> has a backing inode to get preallocated blocks.
>>
>> Since it doesn't change the block mapping on the original file until
>> writeout, so it doesn't require a incompat feature to protect the
>> preallocated contents to be read in "old" kernel. There some work need
>> to be done in e2fsck to understand the backing inode.
>>

> Small detail - we need to mark size of the backing inode to zero --
> so that if we ever boot on older kernel, we will not be able to read
> the contents of that inode. (Ofcourse, this also means that fsck
> would remove that inode if we run fscheck).

One downside of moving this data over to a backing inode is that we lose
the benefit of making large pre allocations following by a series of
random writes that result in in-ordered data on disk. I presume we'd be
scanning the backing inode for free data blocks?

Unless of course if we make the backing inode be an effective 'negative'
of the holes in the actual inode. Each hole introduced in the actual
inode would have it's backing inode have actual storage at the same
logical block offsets.

Another problem I can think of with this approach is that we'd have
difficult reclaiming the metadata indirect blocks from the backing inode
efficiently. So if a user went and pre-allocated say 1GB of disk space
for a file, we'd end up with the ~%0.1 metadata overhead doubled until
we see the i_blocks for the backing inode hit zero (meaning all
pre-allocated blocks were dirtied and backing inode can be freed). May
not be an issue in the real world..

Mike Waychison

2007-07-07 02:03:57

by Badari Pulavarty

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 14:33 -0700, Mike Waychison wrote:
> Badari Pulavarty wrote:

> >> Another approach we have been thinking is using a backing
> >> inode(per-inode-with-preallocation) to store the preallocated blocks.
> >> When user asked for preallocation on the base inode, ext2/3 create a
> >> temporary backing inode, and it's (pre)allocate the
> >> corresponding blocks in the backing inode.
> >>
> >> When writes to the base inode, and realize we need to block allocation
> >> on, before doing the fs real block allocation, it will check if the file
> >> has a backing inode stores some preallocated blocks for the same logical
> >> blocks. If so, it will transfer the preallocated blocks from backing
> >> inode to the base inode.
> >>
> >> We need to link the two inodes in some way, maybe store the backing
> >> inode number via EA in the base inode, and flag the base inode that it
> >> has a backing inode to get preallocated blocks.
> >>
> >> Since it doesn't change the block mapping on the original file until
> >> writeout, so it doesn't require a incompat feature to protect the
> >> preallocated contents to be read in "old" kernel. There some work need
> >> to be done in e2fsck to understand the backing inode.
> >>

> > Small detail - we need to mark size of the backing inode to zero --
> > so that if we ever boot on older kernel, we will not be able to read
> > the contents of that inode. (Ofcourse, this also means that fsck
> > would remove that inode if we run fscheck).
> >

> One downside of moving this data over to a backing inode is that we lose
> the benefit of making large pre allocations following by a series of
> random writes that result in in-ordered data on disk. I presume we'd be
> scanning the backing inode for free data blocks?

> Unless of course if we make the backing inode be an effective 'negative'
> of the holes in the actual inode. Each hole introduced in the actual
> inode would have it's backing inode have actual storage at the same
> logical block offsets.

What we considered at that time was, we allocate backing inode at the
time of pre-allocate call. Then when we need a block in the real-inode,
grab the corresponding block from backing-inode. So once we preallocate,
even if we fill the real-inode through random writes, we still get
the sequential pattern preserved.

> Another problem I can think of with this approach is that we'd have
> difficult reclaiming the metadata indirect blocks from the backing inode
> efficiently. So if a user went and pre-allocated say 1GB of disk space
> for a file, we'd end up with the ~%0.1 metadata overhead doubled until
> we see the i_blocks for the backing inode hit zero (meaning all
> pre-allocated blocks were dirtied and backing inode can be freed). May
> not be an issue in the real world..

I am not sure, if its a problem worth solving in the real-world use
case.

Thanks,
Badari