2008-09-27 15:07:07

by vineetagarwal

Subject: Block allocation

hello everybody,

I want to allocate few blocks from a blockgroup in ext2 within a range of
offset specified by user. Is it possible of doing so if yes then can someone
please explain.As i know balloc.c and ialloc.c are responsible for it and
they work on entire file system can i somehow manipulate it for ceratin
ranges.

For Ex
let say i provide a range 100 - 3000. Can i allocate few blocks within this
range .

Thanking you

--
>From :
Vineet Agarwal

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: Re: Block allocation

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 08:07:06AM -0700, vineetagarwal wrote:

> I want to allocate few blocks from a blockgroup in ext2 within a range of
> offset specified by user. Is it possible of doing so if yes then can someone
> please explain.As i know balloc.c and ialloc.c are responsible for it and
> they work on entire file system can i somehow manipulate it for ceratin
> ranges.
>
> For Ex
> let say i provide a range 100 - 3000. Can i allocate few blocks within this
> range .

While the filesystem mounted (and accessed through the kernel) or
unmounted (and accessed via libext2fs)? Anything is possible. if you
are willing to write some code....

Why do you need to do this, and is this for some class or problem set?

- Ted

2008-09-29 12:01:39

by vineetagarwal

thank you for replying .
well iam working on a project where i need to allocate few blockgroups for
manipulation of data.
yeah i can write the code but i was actually thinking that could i somehow
manipulate the code at top level of allocation , so that not much changes

Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 08:07:06AM -0700, vineetagarwal wrote:
>>
>> I want to allocate few blocks from a blockgroup in ext2 within a range of
>> offset specified by user. Is it possible of doing so if yes then can
>> someone
>> please explain.As i know balloc.c and ialloc.c are responsible for it and
>> they work on entire file system can i somehow manipulate it for ceratin
>> ranges.
>>
>> For Ex
>> let say i provide a range 100 - 3000. Can i allocate few blocks within
>> this
>> range .
>
> While the filesystem mounted (and accessed through the kernel) or
> unmounted (and accessed via libext2fs)? Anything is possible. if you
> are willing to write some code....
>
> Why do you need to do this, and is this for some class or problem set?
>
> - Ted

by vineetagarwal

thank you for replying .
well iam working on a project where i need to allocate few blockgroups for
manipulation of data.
yeah i can write the code but i was actually thinking that could i somehow
manipulate the code at top level of allocation , so that not much changes
are made to the good old existing code and work is done.
if you can please provide me with some help
thank you