2010-01-27 02:39:14

by Ding Dinghua

Subject: Should we discard jbddirty bit if BH_Freed is set?

Hi all:
I'm a little confused about BH_Freed bit. The only place it is
set is journal_unmap_buffer, which is called by
jbd2_journal_invalidatepage when we want to truncate a file. Since
jbd2_journal_invalidatepage is called outside of transaction, We can't
make sure whether the "add to orphan" operation belongs to committing
transaction or not, so we can't touch the buffer belongs to
committing transaction, instead BH_Freed bit is set to indicate that
this buffer can be discarded in running transaction. But i think we
shouldn't clear BH_JBDdirty in jbd2_journal_commit_transaction, as
following codes does:
/* A buffer which has been freed while still being
* journaled by a previous transaction may end up still
* being dirty here, but we want to avoid writing back
* that buffer in the future now that the last use has
* been committed. That's not only a performance gain,
* it also stops aliasing problems if the buffer is left
* behind for writeback and gets reallocated for another
* use in a different page. */
if (buffer_freed(bh)) {
clear_buffer_freed(bh);
clear_buffer_jbddirty(bh);
}
Note that, We can't make sure "current running transaction" can
complete commit work. If we clear BH_JBDdirty bit here, this buffer
may be freed here, the log space of older transaction may be freed
before the "current running transaction" complete commit work, and if
this happends and system crashed at this moment, filesystem will be
inconsistent.

Above is my analysis, please let me know if it's wrong, and if it's a
bug, may be I can send a patch out, thanks.

--
??????

2010-01-27 12:23:27

by Jan Kara

Hi,

On Wed 27-01-10 10:32:18, 丁定华 wrote:
> I'm a little confused about BH_Freed bit. The only place it is set
> is journal_unmap_buffer, which is called by jbd2_journal_invalidatepage when
> we want to truncate a file. Since jbd2_journal_invalidatepage is called
> outside of transaction, We can't make sure whether the "add to orphan"
> operation belongs to committing transaction or not, so we can't touch the
> buffer belongs to committing transaction, instead BH_Freed bit is set to
> indicate that this buffer can be discarded in running transaction. But i
> think we shouldn't clear BH_JBDdirty in jbd2_journal_commit_transaction, as
> following codes does:
> /* A buffer which has been freed while still being
> * journaled by a previous transaction may end up still
> * being dirty here, but we want to avoid writing back
> * that buffer in the future now that the last use has
> * been committed. That's not only a performance gain,
> * it also stops aliasing problems if the buffer is left
> * behind for writeback and gets reallocated for another
> * use in a different page. */
> if (buffer_freed(bh)) {
> clear_buffer_freed(bh);
> clear_buffer_jbddirty(bh);
> }
> Note that, *We can't make sure "current running transaction" can complete
> commit work.* If we clear BH_JBDdirty bit here, this buffer may be freed
> here, the log space of older transaction may be freed before the "current
> running transaction" complete commit work, and if this happends, filesystem
> will be inconsistent.
Let me sketch the situation here:
The file F gets truncated. The inode is added to orphan list in some
transaction T1, only then jbd2_journal_invalidatepage can be called.
As you wrote above, it can happen that jbd2_journal_invalidatepage on
buffer B runs when some transaction T2 containing B is being committed and
in that case we set BH_Freed. If T2 != T1 - i.e., T2 is being committed
and T1 is the running transaction, note that we clear the dirty bit only
when T2 is fully committed and we are processing forget list. So buffer has
been properly written to T2 and we just won't write it in the transaction
T1. And that is fine because as soon as transaction T1 finishes commit, we
don't care about what happens with buffers of F because the fact that F is
truncated is recorded and in case of crash we finish truncate during
journal replay. And if we crash before T1 finishes commit, we don't care
about contents of T1 either. If T2 == T1, the above reasoning applies as
well and the situation is even simpler.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>
SUSE Labs, CR

2010-01-28 01:23:44

by Ding Dinghua

Hi,
As you wrote, if T2!=T1, then T2 is committing transaction while
T1 is running transaction,
and if T1 complete commit, we don't care about the content of buffers.
But there is a prerequisite
-->"T1 complete commit", if T1 start commit and another transaction T3
becomes the new running
transaction, T3 may need to reuse T2 log space and force checkpoint,
and since we have clean
the BH_dirty bit of buffers after T2 commits, so T2 may be freed
before T1 complete commit, and
unfortunately, T1 doesn't complete commit, so after replay, updates of
T2 get lost, fs becomes
inconsistent.

--
??????

2010-01-28 12:53:49

by Jan Kara

Hi,

On Thu 28-01-10 09:23:43, 丁定华 wrote:
> As you wrote, if T2!=T1, then T2 is committing transaction while T1
> is running transaction, and if T1 complete commit, we don't care
> about the content of buffers. But there is a prerequisite -->"T1
> complete commit", if T1 start commit and another transaction T3
> becomes the new running transaction, T3 may need to reuse T2 log
> space and force checkpoint, and since we have clean the BH_dirty bit
> of buffers after T2 commits, so T2 may be freed before T1 complete
> commit, and unfortunately, T1 doesn't complete commit, so after
> replay, updates of T2 get lost, fs becomes inconsistent.
Hmm, you are right. That could probably happen. It only hits ext3/4 in
data=journaled mode but the bug is there. But it's hard to fix it in a
reasonable way - if we would just leave the dirty bit set, we will have
aliasing problems - buffer B is attached to some page which used to be from
file F, so unmap_underlying_metadata will not find it because it looks only
into page cache the block device, not to the pagecaches of individual
files. So if we reallocate the block of B for some other file G before the
buffer B is checkpointed, we have two dirty buffers representing the same
block and thus data corruption can happen.
Maybe we could handle them by setting b_next_transaction to the
transaction that deleted the buffer (in jbd2_journal_unmap_buffer) and
setting buffer freed like we do now. Commit code would handle freed
buffers like:
If b_next_transaction is set, file buffer to forget list of the next
transaction. If b_next_transaction isn't set, clear all dirty bits.
What do you think?

Honza

--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>
SUSE Labs, CR

2010-01-29 01:43:39

by Ding Dinghua

Hi,
I think what we need to do is to distinguish the buffers which can
be discarded after
this transaction commits and which we must wait until the next transaction
commits, and as you wrote, set b_next_transaction to running
transaction and file them
into t_forget list is a good way.

--
??????

2010-01-30 06:41:11

by Ding Dinghua

Hi,
The attached is a patch to fix this problem,
please have a look.

--
??????

Attachments:
0001-Jbd2-delay-discarding-buffers-in-journal_unmap_buff.patch (2.62 kB)

2010-02-02 22:01:53

by Jan Kara

> From eb6567de576ac4a9337c3971a2d0549af64e15f0 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: dingdinghua <[email protected]>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:23:28 +0800
> Subject: [PATCH] Jbd2: delay discarding buffers in journal_unmap_buffer
>
> We should delay discarding buffers until we know that "add to orphan"
> operation has definitely been committed, otherwise the log space of
> committing transation may be freed and reused before truncate get
> committed, updates may get lost if crash happens.
Thanks for the patch. For us to be able to merge the patch, we need a
Signed-off-by signature from you. Please add it in the next round of
submission.

> diff --git a/fs/jbd2/commit.c b/fs/jbd2/commit.c
> index 1bc74b6..c5d1c7c 100644
> --- a/fs/jbd2/commit.c
> +++ b/fs/jbd2/commit.c
> @@ -936,8 +936,10 @@ restart_loop:
> * behind for writeback and gets reallocated for another
> * use in a different page. */
> if (buffer_freed(bh)) {
> - clear_buffer_freed(bh);
> - clear_buffer_jbddirty(bh);
> + if (!jh->b_next_transaction) {
> + clear_buffer_freed(bh);
> + clear_buffer_jbddirty(bh);
> + }
> }
When can merge the 'if' here. Also the comment above this code
needs updating after your change.

> if (buffer_jbddirty(bh)) {
> diff --git a/fs/jbd2/transaction.c b/fs/jbd2/transaction.c
> index a051270..0d019f1 100644
> --- a/fs/jbd2/transaction.c
> +++ b/fs/jbd2/transaction.c
> @@ -1788,11 +1788,8 @@ static int journal_unmap_buffer(journal_t *journal, struct buffer_head *bh)
> * running transaction if that is set, but nothing
> * else. */
> set_buffer_freed(bh);
> - if (jh->b_next_transaction) {
> - J_ASSERT(jh->b_next_transaction ==
> - journal->j_running_transaction);
> - jh->b_next_transaction = NULL;
> - }
> + if (journal->j_running_transaction && buffer_jbddirty(bh))
> + jh->b_next_transaction = journal->j_running_transaction;
Also here you have to update the comment above set_buffer_freed to match
the new reality.
Otherwise I'm fine with the patch.

Honza
--