2007-07-31 08:06:01

by Anton Andreev

Subject: 64 bit support for ext4 problem

Hi,

I want to try my ext4 to be 64 bit.

I could not patch e2fsprogs-1.39
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.39.tar.gz>
with
http://www.bullopensource.org/ext4/patches/ext4-e2fsprogs-1.39.patch.tar
. I would appreciate if someone tell me exactly how to do that.

Does the newest version of e2fsprogs
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.39.tar.gz>
supports the features in the patch?

Thanks!

Anton

2007-07-31 09:38:28

by Valerie Clement

Subject: Re: 64 bit support for ext4 problem

Anton Andreev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to try my ext4 to be 64 bit.
>
> I could not patch e2fsprogs-1.39
> <http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.39.tar.gz>
> with
> http://www.bullopensource.org/ext4/patches/ext4-e2fsprogs-1.39.patch.tar
> . I would appreciate if someone tell me exactly how to do that.
>
> Does the newest version of e2fsprogs
> <http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.39.tar.gz>
> supports the features in the patch?

Hi Anton,

you need to patch the e2fsprogs only if you want to create an ext4
filesystem larger than 16 TB with 4KB block size. If it is your case,
I could send you a more recent version of patches. Let me know.

Ext4 supports 48-bit physical block numbers, not yet 64-bit physical
block numbers; this is due to the use of extents mapping.

If you want to use the extent format (mount -t ext4dev -o extents), I
think you should use the latest version of e2fsprogs available here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.40.2.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.40.2.tar.gz
This version should integrate the extents capability.

Remember that if you use extents, your filesystem will no longer be
mountable by ext3.

Regards,
Val?rie

2007-07-31 14:35:19

by Andreas Dilger

On Jul 31, 2007 11:39 +0200, Valerie Clement wrote:
> Ext4 supports 48-bit physical block numbers, not yet 64-bit physical
> block numbers; this is due to the use of extents mapping.
>
> If you want to use the extent format (mount -t ext4dev -o extents), I
> think you should use the latest version of e2fsprogs available here:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.40.2.tar.gz
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.40.2.tar.gz
> This version should integrate the extents capability.

Actually, I don't think the official e2fsprogs-1.40 supports extents yet?

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer

2007-07-31 15:02:59

by Valerie Clement

Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Actually, I don't think the official e2fsprogs-1.40 supports extents yet?

Yes, you're right, I've just checked.
Val?rie