2008-10-14 04:58:55

by Paul Collins

Subject: tune2fs -I 256 -- kind of slow?

I just ran "tune2fs -I 256 /dev/sda3" and it took about an hour and
forty minutes. The filesystem is about 33GiB, 3/4 full, ~85,000 inodes.
The machine is a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo, SATA disk. It seemed to be
CPU-bound, soaking up a core for the whole run. Does this sound right?

Running e2fsprogs 1.41.3-1 from Debian unstable.

--
Paul Collins
Wellington, New Zealand

Dag vijandelijk luchtschip de huismeester is dood

2008-10-14 11:18:04

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: Re: tune2fs -I 256 -- kind of slow?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 05:48:05PM +1300, Paul Collins wrote:
> I just ran "tune2fs -I 256 /dev/sda3" and it took about an hour and
> forty minutes. The filesystem is about 33GiB, 3/4 full, ~85,000 inodes.
> The machine is a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo, SATA disk. It seemed to be
> CPU-bound, soaking up a core for the whole run. Does this sound right?
>
> Running e2fsprogs 1.41.3-1 from Debian unstable.

You're not the first person to have reported this. I don't think
anyone has had a chance to look at it, but it's something we clearly
need to pay attention to --- 33 GB isn't that big of a filesystem, as
filesystems go, and an hour and a half and being CPU bound is not a
good thing.

- Ted