2020-02-25 09:48:48

by Alok Jain

Subject: Getting issue while creating ext4 file system

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your time to look into this
While connecting a block volume to my instance I m getting the below error
Command: mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdd1
Error Message:
mke2fs 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
Could not stat /dev/sdd1 --- No such file or directory

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?

Before executing this command I did run iscsi command to attach
followed by these partition commands, all completed successfully
parted -s -a optimal /dev/sdd mklabel gpt
parted -s -a optimal /dev/sdd mkpart primary '1MiB -1'
Any idea?

Thanks,
Alok

2020-02-26 20:43:48

by Andreas Dilger

Subject: Re: Getting issue while creating ext4 file system

On Feb 25, 2020, at 2:41 AM, Alok Jain <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for your time to look into this
> While connecting a block volume to my instance I m getting the below error
> Command: mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdd1
> Error Message:
> mke2fs 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
> Could not stat /dev/sdd1 --- No such file or directory
>
> The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?
>
> Before executing this command I did run iscsi command to attach
> followed by these partition commands, all completed successfully
> parted -s -a optimal /dev/sdd mklabel gpt
> parted -s -a optimal /dev/sdd mkpart primary '1MiB -1'
> Any idea?

This doesn't look like an ext4 issue. Did you actually check that
/dev/sdd1 exists (e.g. "ls -l /dev/sd*")? You may need to tell the
kernel to reload the partition table and convince udev to create it.

If it does exist, can you dump the partition table with something
like "fdisk -l /dev/sdd", and read some data from the device with
e.g. "file -s /dev/sdd1" or similar?

Cheers, Andreas

Attachments:
signature.asc (890.00 B)