2007-03-11 10:07:25

by Aneesh Kumar K.V

Subject: Online defragmentation patches [Was Re: Ext4 devel interlock meeting minutes (March 7, 2007) ]

On 3/11/07, Aneesh Kumar <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 3/9/07, Andreas Dilger <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 08, 2007 10:06 -0800, Avantika Mathur wrote:
> > >

> > > - Aneesh Veetil has been working on a migration tool from block based to
> > > extents allocation. He is looking at two options.
> > >
> > > - Offline Migration: Modify e2fsprogs code to actually be able to create
> > > extents. This involves a lot of duplication of ext4 code (btree).
> > > e2fsprogs has code for interpreting extents, but code for creating them
> > > would have to be duplicated.
> > >
> > > - Online Migration: Use existing filesystem code to convert to extents -
> > > similar to online defragmentation.
> >
> > I would prefer to implement this using the same code as the online defrag.
> > To be useful, the online defrag has to work with block-mapped files anyways.
>
> Is there a tree (git or hg ) which i can use to get a working online defrag ?

This is what i tried.

GIT_DIR=/home/opensource/linux-2.6/.git git archive --format=tar
--prefix=linux-2.6.ext4/ v2.6.19-rc6 | tar -xv

That is 2.6.19-rc6.

now i downloaded the patches at

ftp://ftp.clusterfs.com/pub/people/alex/2.6.19-rc6/ and applied it in
the same order as found in the series. The patch doesn't apply
cleanly.

I have downloaded online patches at
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/1011-1014

-aneesh