2010-02-10 23:26:33

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: E2fsprogs 1.41.10 has been released

Since Sourceforge has changed its File Release System, and no longer has
a way of making announcements when a new release has gone out (and I
don't know how many people were using it), I'll just make a quick
announcement here.

E2fsprogs 1.41.10 has been released. It can be found in the usual
places (ftp.kernel.org, sourceforge), and of course in the e2fsprogs git
repositories.

- Ted

E2fsprogs 1.41.10 (February 7, 2010)
====================================

Fix resize2fs bug which causes it to access invalid memory.

Add libss support for libreadline.so.6.

Fix e2fsck's check for extent-mapped directory with an incorrect file
type.

Add new e2fsck.conf configuration option, default/broken_system_clock
to support systems with broken CMOS hardware clocks. Also, since too
many distributions seem to have broken virtualization scripts now,
e2fsck will by default accept dates which are off by up to 24 hours by
default. (Addresses Debian Bugs: #559776, #557636)

Fix a bug where mke2fs may not use the best placement of the inode
table when there is only room for a single block group in the last
flex_bg.

E2fsck is now smarter when it needs to allocate blocks in the course
of fixing file system problems. This reduces the number of spurious
differences found in pass #5.

E2fsck will no longer rehash directories which fit in a single
directory block.

E2fsck now correctly handles holes in extent-mapped directories (i.e.,
sparse directories which use extents).

Fix big-endian problems with ext2fs_bmap() and ext2fs_bmap2().

Fix a bug in filefrag where on platforms which can allow file systems
with 8k blocks, that it doesn't core dump when it sees a file system
with 8k block sizes. (Thanks to Mikulas Patocka for pointing this
out.)

E2fsck will correctly fix directories that are have an inaccurate
i_size as well as other problems in a single pass, instead of
requiring two e2fsck runs before the file system is fully fixed.

Fix e2fsck so it will correctly find and detect duplicate directory
entries for non-indexed directories. ( Addresses Sourceforge Bug:
#2862551)

Mke2fs will use BLKDISCARD to pre-discard all blocks on an SSD or
thinly-provisioned storage device. This can be disabled using the -K
option.

Enhance libext2fs so it works around bug in Linux version 2.6.19
and earlier where the /proc/swaps file was missing the header on
the first line.

Fix bug in Linux version 2.6.19 and earlier where the /proc/swaps file
was missing the header on the first line.

Fix some big-endian bugs in e2fsck and libext2fs.

Fix resize2fs so it works correctly on file systems with external
journals instead of failing early with the error "Illegal inode
number".

Fix libss so that it does not seg fault when using a readline library
which does not supply a readline_shutdown() function.

Updated dumpe2fs's usage message so it correctly gives the right
arguments summary for "-o superblock=<num>" and "-o blocksize=<num>".
(Addresses Launchpad Bug: #448099)

Teach libext2fs to ignore the high 32 bits of the i_blocks field
when huge_file file system feature is set, but the inode does not
have the HUGE_FILE_FL flag set.

Fix e2fsck's handling of 64-bit i_blocks fields.

E2fsck will now print "Illegal indirect block", "Illegal
double-indirect block", etc., instead of "Illegal block #-1" or
"Illegal block #-2", etc. This makes it easier for users to
understand what has gone wrong. (Addresses SourceForge Bug: #2871782)

Mke2fs now will obtain get device topology information from blkid and
use it to populate the superblock stride and stripe sizes. It will
also warn if the block device is misaligned

Fix file descriptor leaks in fsck and debugfs. (Addresses Novell Bug:
##524526)

Fix the libext2fs library code to round up the bitmap size to a 4-byte
boundary, to prevent spurious seg faults caused by the x86
architecture. This doesn't affect Linux systems, but was a major
problem on a number of *BSD systems. (Addresses Sourceforge Bug:
#2328708)

Fix resize2fs's minimum size required for a file system so it doesn't
fail when "resize2fs -M" is run. (Addresses RedHat Bugzilla: #519131)

Dumpe2fs now prints summary information about the contents of the
journal.

Avoid printing scary error messages when e2fsck starts running
problems on low-memory systems, as it tends to panic and mislead the
user. (Addresses Debian Bug: #509529)

Fix blkid's modules.dep parser so it handles compressed (.ko.gz)
modules files. (Address Red Hat Bug: #518572)

Fix tune2fs so it can add a journal when an extent-enabled file system
is mounted. (Addresses Launchpad bug: #416648)

Update Czech, Indonesian, Polish and Vietnamese translations (from the
Translation Project).

Update/clarify man pages. (Addresses Sourceforge Bug: #2822186)

Fixed various Debian packaging issues --- see debian/changelog for
details. (Addresses Debian Bugs: #540111)

Programmer's Notes
------------------

The configure script supports the --with-cc, --with-ccopts, and
--with-ldopts options. Instead, the more standard use of CC=,
CCFLAGS=, and LDFLAGS= in the configure command line is used instead.
Also, --with-ld, which never worked, was also removed.
(Addresses Sourceforge Bug: #2843248)

The in-tree header files are only used if the in-tree uuid or blkid
libraries are used. Otherwise, use the system-provided uuid or blkid
header files if using the system-provided libraries.

Fix some build failures caused by --disable-* configure options.

Work around a bug in autoconf 2.64.

2010-02-11 07:30:20

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: The pu branch of e2fsprogs also updated

I've also updated the "pu", or "proposed updates" branch of e2fsprogs
to have my latest spin of the 64-bit patches. They are nearly
completely cleaned up now, but they're not quite there yet. Since I
need to context switch to getting kernel patches out the door, I
thought this would be a good time to update the pu branch.

The pu branch is now rebased against the latest 1.41.10 release, and
the remaining patches have been largely refactored. The two patches
that still need a bit of cleanup and review are:

libext2fs: More random 64-bit fixes, lots of block_iterate3

and

Fix bug in selecting fs type, resulting in 1K blocksize

Otherwise, the patches have been refactored, the ABI breakage fixed,
and some API's cleaned up. There are only a "bakers dozen" of patches
that still need to be merged into the mainline branch, so hopefully
the rest of cleanup will get done soon after I get the ext4 kernel
patch queue under control and ready for the merge window.

- Ted

2010-02-11 16:54:17

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: Re: E2fsprogs 1.41.10 has been released

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 06:26:27PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> Since Sourceforge has changed its File Release System, and no longer has
> a way of making announcements when a new release has gone out (and I
> don't know how many people were using it), I'll just make a quick
> announcement here.
>
> E2fsprogs 1.41.10 has been released. It can be found in the usual
> places (ftp.kernel.org, sourceforge), and of course in the e2fsprogs git
> repositories.

So Frank has pointed out to me that I screwed up the version.h file:

#define E2FSPROGS_DATE "10-Feb-2009"

*Sigh*

It's probably not worth spinning a new tar file, and confusing people
with two tarballs with different MD5 checksums, but if folks want to
fix this before releasing RPM's, et. al., please feel free to make the
obvious 's/2009/2010/' change.

- Ted

2010-02-12 06:22:17

by Nikola Ciprich

Hi Theo,
just one small note, I don't see it tagged in the git... ?
n.

> [...]
> Translation Project).
>
> Update/clarify man pages. (Addresses Sourceforge Bug: #2822186)
>
> Fixed various Debian packaging issues --- see debian/changelog for
> details. (Addresses Debian Bugs: #540111)
>
> Programmer's Notes
> ------------------
>
> The configure script supports the --with-cc, --with-ccopts, and
> --with-ldopts options. Instead, the more standard use of CC=,
> CCFLAGS=, and LDFLAGS= in the configure command line is used instead.
> Also, --with-ld, which never worked, was also removed.
> (Addresses Sourceforge Bug: #2843248)
>
> The in-tree header files are only used if the in-tree uuid or blkid
> libraries are used. Otherwise, use the system-provided uuid or blkid
> header files if using the system-provided libraries.
>
> Fix some build failures caused by --disable-* configure options.

-------------------------------------
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH
LinuxBox.cz, s.r.o.
28. rijna 168, 709 01 Ostrava

tel.: +420 596 603 142
fax: +420 596 621 273
mobil: +420 777 093 799
http://www.linuxbox.cz

mobil servis: +420 737 238 656
email servis: [email protected]

2010-02-12 16:27:43

by Theodore Ts'o

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 07:22:31AM +0100, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
> Hi Theo,
> just one small note, I don't see it tagged in the git... ?

Oops, I forgot to do the "git push --tags" magic dance. Just pushed
out....

-Ted