2021-05-28 12:43:33

by Peter Geis

Subject: ext4_xattr_ibody_find:2180: inode #2669312: comm systemd-journal: corrupted in-inode xattr

Good Morning,

I have run into a fun issue where I have the follow error on boot,
which causes the device to drop to read only mode:
ext4_xattr_ibody_find:2180: inode #2669312: comm systemd-journal:
corrupted in-inode xattr
It marks the file system as unclean, which forces a fsck, but it seems
that even as of v1.46.2 e2fsprogs does not have the ability to resolve
this issue.
Any attempts to touch the corrupted files (I've found two so far)
leads to the same error, and I cannot find a way to remove or repair
the affected inodes without wiping the entire file system.

Any insight you can provide would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter Geis

2021-07-13 15:43:40

by Jan Kara

Hello!

On Fri 28-05-21 08:36:17, Peter Geis wrote:
> I have run into a fun issue where I have the follow error on boot,
> which causes the device to drop to read only mode:
> ext4_xattr_ibody_find:2180: inode #2669312: comm systemd-journal:
> corrupted in-inode xattr
> It marks the file system as unclean, which forces a fsck, but it seems
> that even as of v1.46.2 e2fsprogs does not have the ability to resolve
> this issue.
> Any attempts to touch the corrupted files (I've found two so far)
> leads to the same error, and I cannot find a way to remove or repair
> the affected inodes without wiping the entire file system.

This seems to have fallen through the cracks. Have you managed to fix your
filesystem? If not, please obtain filesystem image using e2image (it will
contain only fs metadata, not any data), compress it and put it somewhere for
download so that we can better diagnose the issue. Thanks!

Honza
--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>
SUSE Labs, CR

2021-07-13 20:53:07

by Peter Geis

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 11:43 AM Jan Kara <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello!

Good Evening,

> On Fri 28-05-21 08:36:17, Peter Geis wrote:
> > I have run into a fun issue where I have the follow error on boot,
> > which causes the device to drop to read only mode:
> > ext4_xattr_ibody_find:2180: inode #2669312: comm systemd-journal:
> > corrupted in-inode xattr
> > It marks the file system as unclean, which forces a fsck, but it seems
> > that even as of v1.46.2 e2fsprogs does not have the ability to resolve
> > this issue.
> > Any attempts to touch the corrupted files (I've found two so far)
> > leads to the same error, and I cannot find a way to remove or repair
> > the affected inodes without wiping the entire file system.
>
> This seems to have fallen through the cracks. Have you managed to fix your
> filesystem? If not, please obtain filesystem image using e2image (it will
> contain only fs metadata, not any data), compress it and put it somewhere for
> download so that we can better diagnose the issue. Thanks!

Unfortunately no I don't have the file system anymore.
I put about two weeks into trying to fix it, but in the end I had to
nuke it from orbit.

Thanks for reaching out,
Peter