2005-09-21 16:10:56

by NeilBrown

Subject: ADMINSTRIVIA - Intent to open [email protected] to non-subscribers.

Greetings.

It is generally accepted in the linux-kernel community that mailing
lists for discussion problems with parts of the kernel should not be
subscriber-only. This is (in part) because subscriber-only lists
increase the barrier to submitting useful problem reports, and we
want to get useful problem reports.

Hence, I intend to switch [email protected] to accept mail
from non-subscribers.

If you have a violent objection to this, please write now.
I don't believe a fear of 'SPAM' is a reasonable objection as there
are plenty of tools available that reduce SPAM substantially.

NeilBrown

by Brian J. Murrell

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 18:10 +0200, Neil Brown wrote:

> If you have a violent objection to this, please write now.

Not really violent.

> I don't believe a fear of 'SPAM' is a reasonable objection as there
> are plenty of tools available that reduce SPAM substantially.

Indeed, and better done as far upstream as possible. i.e. don't
distribute spam for every recipient to have to deal with. It's better
if the distribution point deals with it.

b.

Brian J. Murrell

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2005-09-22 08:56:39

by H. J. Lu

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 06:10:32PM +0200, Neil Brown wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> It is generally accepted in the linux-kernel community that mailing
> lists for discussion problems with parts of the kernel should not be
> subscriber-only. This is (in part) because subscriber-only lists
> increase the barrier to submitting useful problem reports, and we
> want to get useful problem reports.
>
> Hence, I intend to switch [email protected] to accept mail
> from non-subscribers.
>
> If you have a violent objection to this, please write now.
> I don't believe a fear of 'SPAM' is a reasonable objection as there
> are plenty of tools available that reduce SPAM substantially.

I have no objection.

H.J.

by J. Bruce Fields

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 06:10:32PM +0200, Neil Brown wrote:
> > Hence, I intend to switch [email protected] to accept mail
> > from non-subscribers.

Has that changed? Because I'm still seeing these long delays:

>From [email protected] Thu Oct 06 01:54:50 2005
id A2DC164547; Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:56:19 -0700 (PDT)

--b.

by NeilBrown

On Thursday October 6, [email protected] wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 06:10:32PM +0200, Neil Brown wrote:
> > > Hence, I intend to switch [email protected] to accept mail
> > > from non-subscribers.
>
> Has that changed? Because I'm still seeing these long delays:

I had planned to leave it a few days for people to have a chance to
comment. I ended up leaving it two weeks (a little longer than I
planned, but still...).

Yesterday I went to look into it, found a large number of pending
messages and went though them, discarding the spam and approving the
ham.

I then disabled the auto-response email that told people their message
had to be approved (as I think that is the most annoying part of the
process), made sure that I got notifications of non-subscriber email,
and left it subscriber-only for now.
My plan was to approve things promptly and monitor the spam levels and
the hassle (to me) level, and decided then whether to open it
completely or not.

However it seems that someone has beaten me to it and made the list
open while I slept.....

So, maybe I'll just leave it that way.

NeilBrown