2006-04-14 05:50:45

by shashi

Subject: NFS3 in RHEL3

Hi

A small doubt about NFS3 in Linux . If i mount a NFS share (From NetApp
, ONTAP 6.5 ) on a Linux machine with only ro,nolock options , then
still the NFS mount options like
bg,intr,hard,timeo,wsize,rsize,nfsvers,tcp are still applied ? If they
are applied , how can i check is those are applied or not ?

In my Linux box , after mounting with only ro,nolock options .....

[root@<hostname>]# mount | grep < Mount point>
<NFS server> on < Mount point > type nfs (ro,nolock,addr=144.20.129.248)

In this case , is other other options like
bg,intr,hard,timeo,wsize,rsize,nfsvers,tcp are applied ? if they are
applied , what are the default values ?

Please answer to my question.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Shashi Kanth,SSCP(ISO/IEC17024)

by Chuck Lever

Subject: Re: NFS3 in RHEL3

shashi wrote:
> Hi
>
> A small doubt about NFS3 in Linux . If i mount a NFS share (From NetApp
> , ONTAP 6.5 ) on a Linux machine with only ro,nolock options , then
> still the NFS mount options like
> bg,intr,hard,timeo,wsize,rsize,nfsvers,tcp are still applied ? If they
> are applied , how can i check is those are applied or not ?
>
> In my Linux box , after mounting with only ro,nolock options .....
>
> [root@<hostname>]# mount | grep < Mount point>
> <NFS server> on < Mount point > type nfs (ro,nolock,addr=144.20.129.248)
>
> In this case , is other other options like
> bg,intr,hard,timeo,wsize,rsize,nfsvers,tcp are applied ? if they are
> applied , what are the default values ?
>
> Please answer to my question.

You can examine /proc/mounts to find out the other mount options, but
most of them are not displayed unless you set them explicitly. The only
way to tell exactly what is going on is to capture a network trace.

I highly recommend that you do not rely on the defaults. They change
over time, and most of the default settings in many distributions are
not very good.

--
corporate: <cel at netapp dot com>
personal: <chucklever at bigfoot dot com>

by Stephen Carville

shashi wrote:
> Hi
>
> A small doubt about NFS3 in Linux . If i mount a NFS share (From NetApp
> , ONTAP 6.5 ) on a Linux machine with only ro,nolock options , then
> still the NFS mount options like
> bg,intr,hard,timeo,wsize,rsize,nfsvers,tcp are still applied ? If they
> are applied , how can i check is those are applied or not ?
>
> In my Linux box , after mounting with only ro,nolock options .....
>
> [root@<hostname>]# mount | grep < Mount point>
> <NFS server> on < Mount point > type nfs (ro,nolock,addr=144.20.129.248)
>
> In this case , is other other options like
> bg,intr,hard,timeo,wsize,rsize,nfsvers,tcp are applied ? if they are
> applied , what are the default values ?
>
> Please answer to my question.

"man nfs" lists the options and their defaults

--
Stephen Carville <[email protected]>
Unix and Network Admin

by Chuck Lever

Stephen Carville wrote:
> shashi wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> A small doubt about NFS3 in Linux . If i mount a NFS share (From NetApp
>> , ONTAP 6.5 ) on a Linux machine with only ro,nolock options , then
>> still the NFS mount options like
>> bg,intr,hard,timeo,wsize,rsize,nfsvers,tcp are still applied ? If they
>> are applied , how can i check is those are applied or not ?
>>
>> In my Linux box , after mounting with only ro,nolock options .....
>>
>> [root@<hostname>]# mount | grep < Mount point>
>> <NFS server> on < Mount point > type nfs (ro,nolock,addr=144.20.129.248)
>>
>> In this case , is other other options like
>> bg,intr,hard,timeo,wsize,rsize,nfsvers,tcp are applied ? if they are
>> applied , what are the default values ?
>>
>> Please answer to my question.
>>

> "man nfs" lists the options and their defaults

Hi Stephen-

It's been my experience that the man pages on Linux are often quite out
of date, and sometimes don't match the actual behavior of the commands
available in each distribution. Thus I recommend using a network trace
to make sure.

--
corporate: <cel at netapp dot com>
personal: <chucklever at bigfoot dot com>

by Garrick Staples

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:19:46AM +0530, shashi alleged:
> Hi
>
> A small doubt about NFS3 in Linux . If i mount a NFS share (From NetApp
> , ONTAP 6.5 ) on a Linux machine with only ro,nolock options , then
> still the NFS mount options like
> bg,intr,hard,timeo,wsize,rsize,nfsvers,tcp are still applied ? If they
> are applied , how can i check is those are applied or not ?
>
> In my Linux box , after mounting with only ro,nolock options .....
>
> [root@<hostname>]# mount | grep < Mount point>
> <NFS server> on < Mount point > type nfs (ro,nolock,addr=144.20.129.248)
>
> In this case , is other other options like
> bg,intr,hard,timeo,wsize,rsize,nfsvers,tcp are applied ? if they are
> applied , what are the default values ?

Look in /proc/mounts for the actual options applied to the mount.

University of Southern California

Attachments:
(No filename) (890.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)