2016-03-07 09:15:36

by Jason Zaman

Subject: [refpolicy] context file for openrc

Hi all,

I recently realized that gentoo's selinux-base package creates the
context file /etc/selinux/*/contexts/run_init_type which contains
"run_init_t". This file is missing from refpolicy and should be added
since the rest of openrc's selinux support has been in refpolicy for
ages.

The run_init_type file is used by openrc's integrated run_init stuff.
This type is different from initrc_context (which contains
"system_u:system_r:initrc_t:s0"). When an admin runs an init script, it
transitions to run_init_type which does authentication and only then is
allowed to exec into initrc_context to actually run the script.

My question is basically: should this file be renamed? I can easily fix
it in openrc upstream so that debian and any others get it too and keep the
legacy in gentoo for a while.

I will send a patch adding the file as soon as the name is OK'd

-- Jason

2016-03-07 14:45:24

by cpebenito

On 3/7/2016 4:15 AM, Jason Zaman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently realized that gentoo's selinux-base package creates the
> context file /etc/selinux/*/contexts/run_init_type which contains
> "run_init_t". This file is missing from refpolicy and should be added
> since the rest of openrc's selinux support has been in refpolicy for
> ages.
>
> The run_init_type file is used by openrc's integrated run_init stuff.
> This type is different from initrc_context (which contains
> "system_u:system_r:initrc_t:s0"). When an admin runs an init script, it
> transitions to run_init_type which does authentication and only then is
> allowed to exec into initrc_context to actually run the script.
>
> My question is basically: should this file be renamed? I can easily fix
> it in openrc upstream so that debian and any others get it too and keep the
> legacy in gentoo for a while.

What do you suggest it be renamed to?

--
Chris PeBenito
Tresys Technology, LLC

2016-03-07 14:49:49

by Jason Zaman

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 09:45:24AM -0500, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
> On 3/7/2016 4:15 AM, Jason Zaman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently realized that gentoo's selinux-base package creates the
> > context file /etc/selinux/*/contexts/run_init_type which contains
> > "run_init_t". This file is missing from refpolicy and should be added
> > since the rest of openrc's selinux support has been in refpolicy for
> > ages.
> >
> > The run_init_type file is used by openrc's integrated run_init stuff.
> > This type is different from initrc_context (which contains
> > "system_u:system_r:initrc_t:s0"). When an admin runs an init script, it
> > transitions to run_init_type which does authentication and only then is
> > allowed to exec into initrc_context to actually run the script.
> >
> > My question is basically: should this file be renamed? I can easily fix
> > it in openrc upstream so that debian and any others get it too and keep the
> > legacy in gentoo for a while.
>
> What do you suggest it be renamed to?

I can't think of anything great. openrc_run_init_type seems a little long
or maybe just openrc_run_init?

2016-03-07 14:55:46

by Dac Override

2016-03-07 15:37:41

by Jason Zaman

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 03:55:46PM +0100, Dominick Grift wrote:
> On 03/07/2016 03:49 PM, Jason Zaman wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 09:45:24AM -0500, Christopher J. PeBenito
> > wrote:

> >> What do you suggest it be renamed to?
> >
> > I can't think of anything great. openrc_run_init_type seems a
> > little long or maybe just openrc_run_init?
>
> i would just use "openrc" then if you use the libselinux functionality
> the file will end up with name "opentc_contexts", then inside there
> you can for example define for example "run_init_type = TYPE"

That sounds much more reasonable. I will prepare the patch for openrc
first then so I can make sure everything works and then send the patch
to refpol. Once the context file is merged in, i'll send the patch to
openrc.

-- Jason

2016-03-07 16:00:39

by Dac Override

On 03/07/2016 04:37 PM, Jason Zaman wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 03:55:46PM +0100, Dominick Grift wrote:
>> On 03/07/2016 03:49 PM, Jason Zaman wrote:

>>> I can't think of anything great. openrc_run_init_type seems a
>>> little long or maybe just openrc_run_init?
>>
>> i would just use "openrc" then if you use the libselinux
>> functionality the file will end up with name "opentc_contexts",
>> then inside there you can for example define for example
>> "run_init_type = TYPE"
>
> That sounds much more reasonable. I will prepare the patch for
> openrc first then so I can make sure everything works and then send
> the patch to refpol. Once the context file is merged in, i'll send
> the patch to openrc.

Here is an example patch to libselinux

https://dwalsh.fedorapeople.org/SELinux/Patches/0008-Add-selinux_systemd
_contexts_path.patch

It would look pretty much the same except for the name

> -- Jason

- --
Key fingerprint = 5F4D 3CDB D3F8 3652 FBD8 02D5 3B6C 5F1D 2C7B 6B02
https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3B6C5F1D2C7B6B02
Dominick Grift