2021-03-08 08:48:19

by 邱名碩

Subject: Re: Questions for TX power get/set implementation of realtek WiFi

Pkshih <[email protected]> 於 2021年3月6日 週六 下午1:09寫道:

> On Tue, 2021-03-02 at 10:21 +0000, 邱名碩 wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> > I'm planning to implement the get_txpower hook function of the
> > struct ieee80211_ops and handle the IEEE80211_CONF_CHANGE_POWER for
> > rtl8xxxu driver. So that users can get the information of the current
> > tx power limit and set a new limit value with iw commands.
> >
> > I found there's phy_txpwr_idx_to_dbm() of each driver in
> > realtek/rtlwifi to translate the tx power index parsed from efuse to
> > tx power level in dBm. Does the power level translated represent the
> > current tx power limit in dBm? In my RTL8188CUS module, the power
> > index of CCK/OFDM from efuse for each channel is basically 36/38, thus
> > the translated txpower level is 11dBm. Is this the expected value for
> > the default txpower limit value? Or do I need some other formula to
> > compute?
>
> Basically, you can use a linear equation to translate power level in dBm to
> tx power index written to hardware registers.
> y = ax + b
> where,
> y: tx power index written to registers
> x: tx power level in dBm
> a: a constant, 2
> b: a constant induced by the value programmed in efuse that is used to
> adapt modules differences of RF characters.

Thanks so much. So it means that the txpwr_idx_to_dbm and dbm_to_idx
functions in rtlwifi family driver are basically correct. Except they
use the constant
b -7 for CCK and -8 for OFDM instead of the value in efuse. I should have
this value from efuse.

> > And for the handler of IEEE80211_CONF_CHANGE_POWER, can I
> > translate the hw->conf.power_level with the phy_dbm_to_txpwr_idx
> > functions I found in some rtlwifi family drivers, then directly set
> > the txpower index with phy_set_txpower_index functions which write
> > power index to bbreg for different rates (CCK and OFDM)? Are there
> > some invalid values I should take care of because the TCP RX
> > performance seems to be extremely low when I write the power index
> > value translated from 20dBm to bbreg. Any suggestions for what I
> > should handle before writing the bbreg?
>
> The power level you're going to set must be less or equal to original
> one, because it's the hard limit of hardware capability. If the power
> level is too large, the receiver can't understand the signal. Then,
> they can't exchange data that leads low performance as you see.
> I think the performance would be okay if you connect to a near AP and
> power level 10dBm is adapted.

Thanks for clarification. So the power index from efuse is basically the
hard limit of the tx power for each channel (and rate)? That explains
my performance issue while I override it with higher value. Thanks

Chris

> ---
> Ping-Ke

2021-03-08 13:24:43

by Ping-Ke Shih

On Mon, 2021-03-08 at 08:46 +0000, 邱名碩 wrote:
> Pkshih <[email protected]> 於 2021年3月6日 週六 下午1:09寫道:
> >
> > On Tue, 2021-03-02 at 10:21 +0000, 邱名碩 wrote:
> > > Hi guys,
> > >     I'm planning to implement the get_txpower hook function of the
> > > struct ieee80211_ops and handle the IEEE80211_CONF_CHANGE_POWER for
> > > rtl8xxxu driver. So that users can get the information of the current
> > > tx power limit and set a new limit value with iw commands.
> > >
> > >     I found there's phy_txpwr_idx_to_dbm() of each driver in
> > > realtek/rtlwifi to translate the tx power index parsed from efuse to
> > > tx power level in dBm. Does the power level translated represent the
> > > current tx power limit in dBm? In my RTL8188CUS module, the power
> > > index of CCK/OFDM from efuse for each channel is basically 36/38, thus
> > > the translated txpower level is 11dBm. Is this the expected value for
> > > the default txpower limit value? Or do I need some other formula to
> > > compute?
> >
> > Basically, you can use a linear equation to translate power level in dBm to
> > tx power index written to hardware registers.
> >   y = ax + b
> > where,
> >   y: tx power index written to registers
> >   x: tx power level in dBm
> >   a: a constant, 2
> >   b: a constant induced by the value programmed in efuse that is used to
> >      adapt modules differences of RF characters.
> >
> Thanks so much. So it means that the txpwr_idx_to_dbm and dbm_to_idx
> functions in rtlwifi family driver are basically correct. Except they
> use the constant
> b -7 for CCK and -8 for OFDM instead of the value in efuse. I should have
> this value from efuse.

As I mentioned, the calibration value in efuse is used to output proper
power that every hardware module must be the same (with little tolerance).

I'm not sure why constant b isn't related to the value in efuse.
Maybe, you can assume the functions are correct, and configure the power
you desire.

> > >     And for the handler of IEEE80211_CONF_CHANGE_POWER, can I
> > > translate the hw->conf.power_level with the phy_dbm_to_txpwr_idx
> > > functions I found in some rtlwifi family drivers, then directly set
> > > the txpower index with phy_set_txpower_index functions which write
> > > power index to bbreg for different rates (CCK and OFDM)? Are there
> > > some invalid values I should take care of because the TCP RX
> > > performance seems to be extremely low when I write the power index
> > > value translated from 20dBm to bbreg. Any suggestions for what I
> > > should handle before writing the bbreg?
> >
> > The power level you're going to set must be less or equal to original
> > one, because it's the hard limit of hardware capability. If the power
> > level is too large, the receiver can't understand the signal. Then,
> > they can't exchange data that leads low performance as you see.
> > I think the performance would be okay if you connect to a near AP and
> > power level 10dBm is adapted.
> >

> Thanks for clarification. So the power index from efuse is basically the
> hard limit of the tx power for each channel (and rate)? That explains
> my performance issue while I override it with higher value. Thanks

The value in efuse isn't limit but calibration value of target power.
But, yes, you can seen it as hard limit as well.

--
Ping-Ke