2013-05-05 15:42:59

by Christian Lamparter

Subject: Re: Carl9170 is working very slow (linux 3.6.9 and WN111(v2))

Hello Rub?n,

On Sunday, May 05, 2013 03:20:30 PM Rub?n Porras wrote:
> the module carl9170 is working very slow in linux version 3.6.9 with the
> dongle WN111(v2), although I am able to transmit/receive information for a
> while using it, eventually the transmission hangs and it is not possible to
> send any data, and I must reset the connection (ifdown wlan0 and ifup
> wlan0). Several warnings follows which are available in the kernel
> messages, which probably help to track the problem. If it helps to track
> the problem I can test any patches you send me.
>
> PD: From the post https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=43243 I
> suppose that I am not the only one having the problem.
>
> [ 25.543551] ------------[ cut here ]------------
> [ 25.543570] WARNING: at drivers/net/wireless/ath/carl9170/tx.c:992
> carl9170_op_tx+0x1f0/0x72f [carl9170]()

Ah, this sounds familiar. The good news is that the interoperability
problem between minstrel_ht and carl9170 was discovered and
fixed back in February already [the mainline is not affected].

If you know how to apply patches and compile drivers, then you can
easily fix it yourself by applying the following patch:
"carl9170: fix frame drop and WARN due to minstrel_ht change"
<https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2174121/>

and compile the new carl9170 module.

Regards,
Christian

BTW: I assume you are also running some version of openwrt. Is this
correct? Can you tell me which one? Since if this affects a stable
release, we should notify the OpenWRT folks, so they can take action.

2013-05-07 05:16:16

by Rubén Porras

Hi Christian,

thank you for the patch, I tried it and it works fine.

No, I am not running OpenWRT, it is just a normal Desktop with an USB
wireless connection.

Kind Regards.