2020-05-02 22:02:56

by Marcos Dione

Subject: Channel turns from usable to NO-IR in a few minutes

First of all, I'm not suscribet to the list, so please CC: me on an
answres, please.

I have a self built Linux router with a wifi card that I had setup a year
ago or more as an AP. I worked for some 8 months without an issue, until
a few months back (I have no date) it just stooped working.

It took me a while to look into it, but finally today I got it working on
channel 44 on the 5GHz band. I chose that channel because it was the only
one available according to hostapd:

nl80211: Mode IEEE 802.11a: 5180[NO_IR] 5200[NO_IR] 5220 5240[NO_IR]
5260[NO_IR][RADAR] 5280[NO_IR][RADAR]
5300[NO_IR][RADAR] 5320[NO_IR][RADAR]
5500[DISABLED][NO_IR][RADAR]
5520[DISABLED][NO_IR][RADAR]

Because I got greedy, I wanted to keep configuring it to try to get 40GHz
in the channel 46, but when I tried to run it again, I got:

nl80211: Mode IEEE 802.11a: 5180[NO_IR] 5200[NO_IR] 5220[NO_IR] 5240[NO_IR]
5260[NO_IR][RADAR] 5280[NO_IR][RADAR]
5300[NO_IR][RADAR] 5320[NO_IR][RADAR]
5500[DISABLED][NO_IR][RADAR]
5520[DISABLED][NO_IR][RADAR]
Channel 44 (primary) not allowed for AP mode, flags: 0x2073 NO-IR

There was no package updates in between, they might have been some 5 to
10 minutes. The router was not rebooted, and has been connected to
internet ever since I set it up initially a year ago. The country
regulatory information is for France:

nl80211: Regulatory information - country=FR (DFS-ETSI)
nl80211: 2402-2482 @ 40 MHz 20 mBm
nl80211: 5170-5250 @ 80 MHz 20 mBm
nl80211: 5250-5330 @ 80 MHz 20 mBm (DFS)
nl80211: 5490-5710 @ 160 MHz 27 mBm (DFS)
nl80211: 57000-66000 @ 2160 MHz 40 mBm

What could have happened, and could I somehow revert this?

--
(Not so) Random fortune:
The technology industry sees itself as in rebellion against corporate