2020-03-06 09:33:55

by Equipe Soft

Subject: Is iwlwifi-9260-th-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode a debug firmware?

Hello,
we are using backport-iwlwifi core45 drivers and latest AC9260
firmware binary blob:
latest firmware available in Intel iwlwifi firmware fork:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/linux-firmware.git/commit/iwlwifi-9260-th-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode?id=4bebf45872a9818a17e2079118500030a8fa377a
2019-11-28 iwlwifi: update FWs to core47-142 release

At runtime, we noticed these log traces:
iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Found debug destination: EXTERNAL_DRAM
iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Found debug configuration: 0
iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Allocated 0x00400000 bytes for firmware monitor.
So it seems that it is a debug firmware...

Q0) can you please confirm that we can safely use this debug firmware
in our product ?
Q1) is debug mode deliberately enabled in newer firmware or is it an
error (maybe like forgotten to disable it) ?
Q2) is there an impact on performance with this debug firmware ? WiFi
speed/throughput may be reduced or not ?
Q3) moreover, can you please confirm whether or not WoWLAN (aka
Wake-on-WLAN) is working with this debug firmware ?
Q4) is WoWLAN working with any AC9260 firmware version ? and any
iwlwifi driver version ?

Thanks for your help,

@team

2020-03-13 10:07:13

by Equipe Soft

Hello, do you have any news about the issue?
Best regards.
@team
Le ven. 6 mars 2020 à 10:33, Equipe Soft <[email protected]> a écrit :

> Hello,
> we are using backport-iwlwifi core45 drivers and latest AC9260
> firmware binary blob:
> latest firmware available in Intel iwlwifi firmware fork:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/linux-firmware.git/commit/iwlwifi-9260-th-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode?id=4bebf45872a9818a17e2079118500030a8fa377a
> 2019-11-28 iwlwifi: update FWs to core47-142 release
>
> At runtime, we noticed these log traces:
> iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Found debug destination: EXTERNAL_DRAM
> iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Found debug configuration: 0
> iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Allocated 0x00400000 bytes for firmware monitor.
> So it seems that it is a debug firmware...
>
> Q0) can you please confirm that we can safely use this debug firmware
> in our product ?
> Q1) is debug mode deliberately enabled in newer firmware or is it an
> error (maybe like forgotten to disable it) ?
> Q2) is there an impact on performance with this debug firmware ? WiFi
> speed/throughput may be reduced or not ?
> Q3) moreover, can you please confirm whether or not WoWLAN (aka
> Wake-on-WLAN) is working with this debug firmware ?
> Q4) is WoWLAN working with any AC9260 firmware version ? and any
> iwlwifi driver version ?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> @team

2020-03-23 09:15:03

by Equipe Soft

Hello, we really wonder if the version of the firmware we use is the right one.
I put Luca Coelho in copy according to his activity on git about
firmware: thank you for your help Luca.
Best regards.
@team.

Le ven. 13 mars 2020 à 11:05, Equipe Soft
<[email protected]> a écrit :

> Hello, do you have any news about the issue?
> Best regards.
> @team
> Le ven. 6 mars 2020 à 10:33, Equipe Soft <[email protected]> a écrit :
> >
> > Hello,
> > we are using backport-iwlwifi core45 drivers and latest AC9260
> > firmware binary blob:
> > latest firmware available in Intel iwlwifi firmware fork:
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/linux-firmware.git/commit/iwlwifi-9260-th-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode?id=4bebf45872a9818a17e2079118500030a8fa377a
> > 2019-11-28 iwlwifi: update FWs to core47-142 release
> >
> > At runtime, we noticed these log traces:
> > iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Found debug destination: EXTERNAL_DRAM
> > iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Found debug configuration: 0
> > iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Allocated 0x00400000 bytes for firmware monitor.
> > So it seems that it is a debug firmware...
> >
> > Q0) can you please confirm that we can safely use this debug firmware
> > in our product ?
> > Q1) is debug mode deliberately enabled in newer firmware or is it an
> > error (maybe like forgotten to disable it) ?
> > Q2) is there an impact on performance with this debug firmware ? WiFi
> > speed/throughput may be reduced or not ?
> > Q3) moreover, can you please confirm whether or not WoWLAN (aka
> > Wake-on-WLAN) is working with this debug firmware ?
> > Q4) is WoWLAN working with any AC9260 firmware version ? and any
> > iwlwifi driver version ?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > @team

2020-03-23 09:32:20

by Luciano Coelho

Hi,

On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 10:13 +0100, Equipe Soft wrote:
> Hello, we really wonder if the version of the firmware we use is the right one.
> I put Luca Coelho in copy according to his activity on git about
> firmware: thank you for your help Luca.
> Best regards.
> @team.
>

> Le ven. 13 mars 2020 à 11:05, Equipe Soft
> <[email protected]> a écrit :
> > Hello, do you have any news about the issue?
> > Best regards.
> > @team
> > Le ven. 6 mars 2020 à 10:33, Equipe Soft <[email protected]> a écrit :
> > > Hello,
> > > we are using backport-iwlwifi core45 drivers and latest AC9260
> > > firmware binary blob:
> > > latest firmware available in Intel iwlwifi firmware fork:
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/linux-firmware.git/commit/iwlwifi-9260-th-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode?id=4bebf45872a9818a17e2079118500030a8fa377a
> > > 2019-11-28 iwlwifi: update FWs to core47-142 release
> > >
> > > At runtime, we noticed these log traces:
> > > iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Found debug destination: EXTERNAL_DRAM
> > > iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Found debug configuration: 0
> > > iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Allocated 0x00400000 bytes for firmware monitor.
> > > So it seems that it is a debug firmware...
> > >
> > > Q0) can you please confirm that we can safely use this debug firmware
> > > in our product ?

You can use this firmware. It's a production firmware and not a
debugging version.

> > > Q1) is debug mode deliberately enabled in newer firmware or is it an
> > > error (maybe like forgotten to disable it) ?

It is deliberately enabled. We enable some debugging options by
default so they can be extracted if needed.

> > > Q2) is there an impact on performance with this debug firmware ? WiFi
> > > speed/throughput may be reduced or not ?

No, there isn't any impact on performance.

> > > Q3) moreover, can you please confirm whether or not WoWLAN (aka
> > > Wake-on-WLAN) is working with this debug firmware ?

WoWLAN should work fine with this firmware.

> > > Q4) is WoWLAN working with any AC9260 firmware version ? and any
> > > iwlwifi driver version ?

It has been supported for many years now. AC9260 got support for this
from the first version of the driver/FW that were publicly released.

HTH.

Luca.

2020-04-03 07:43:29

by Equipe Soft

Hi there, did you had time to look at this issue? Thanks again.