2013-03-27 23:14:17

by Ali Ustek

Subject: Fwd: Ralink RT3290 card not supported

Hi,

The wi-fi chip Ralink RT3290 is common in notebooks but is not
supported by linux-kernel

A bug is raised on Ubuntu launchpad
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1156363

Some information about my system is attached

Tested on 3.6, 3.8, 3.9rc3 and 3.9rc4

Attachments:
lsb_release.log (91.00 B)
lspci.log (32.55 kB)
proc.cpuinfo.log (3.74 kB)
proc.iomem.log (2.68 kB)
proc.ioports.log (1.15 kB)
proc.ls.log (1.32 kB)
proc.modules.log (3.47 kB)
proc.scsi.scsi.log (517.00 B)
proc.version.log (151.00 B)

by Ali Ustek

Subject: Re: Fwd: Ralink RT3290 card not supported

I know it is supported after 3.6 but the kernel (3.9.rc4) I have from
Ubuntu upstream hasn't got it, that is the reason I have raised a bug
and trying to get it fixed.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Stanislaw Gruszka <[email protected]> wrote:

> This device is supported since 3.7 . You most likely compile kernel
> without CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT3290.
>
> Stanislaw

2013-03-28 12:19:18

by Ali Ustek

Hi Sedat,

The kernel I am using is from Ubuntu and I am using NM.

All the other logs I have attached on to launchpad bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1156363
if that's any help at all.

Thanks

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Sedat Dilek <[email protected]> wrote:

>> This device is supported since 3.7 . You most likely compile kernel
>> without CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT3290.
>>

> Hi Ali,
>
> your kernel-config (self-compiled or the one of your $distro) and
> dmesg logs are always helpful, the same to lspci/lsusb outputs.
> And... informations to your $distro plus used your
> $network-userspace-apps like network-manager (NM), wpa-supplicant etc.
> are helpful... if you want your issue be tracked... successfully :-).
>
> Check also docs section for debugging the different wifi-drivers on
> <wireless.kernel.org>.
>
> Hope this helps you!
>
> Regards,
> - Sedat -
>
>> Stanislaw
>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

by Sedat Dilek

> This device is supported since 3.7 . You most likely compile kernel
> without CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT3290.

Hi Ali,

your kernel-config (self-compiled or the one of your $distro) and
dmesg logs are always helpful, the same to lspci/lsusb outputs.
And... informations to your $distro plus used your
$network-userspace-apps like network-manager (NM), wpa-supplicant etc.
are helpful... if you want your issue be tracked... successfully :-).

Check also docs section for debugging the different wifi-drivers on
<wireless.kernel.org>.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,
- Sedat -

> Stanislaw

by Stanislaw Gruszka

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:18:37AM +0000, Ali Ustek wrote:
> >> The wi-fi chip Ralink RT3290 is common in notebooks but is not
> >> supported by linux-kernel

This device is supported since 3.7 . You most likely compile kernel
without CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT3290.

Stanislaw

2013-03-28 00:45:37

by Larry Finger

On 03/27/2013 06:13 PM, Ali Ustek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The wi-fi chip Ralink RT3290 is common in notebooks but is not
> supported by linux-kernel
>
> A bug is raised on Ubuntu launchpad
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1156363
>
> Some information about my system is attached
>
> Tested on 3.6, 3.8, 3.9rc3 and 3.9rc4

Nearly everything that you posted tells us nothing. One critical piece of
information is given by "lspci -nn".

2013-03-28 08:19:19

by Ali Ustek

Sorry missed that, attached is the requested info

Thanks

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Larry Finger
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On 03/27/2013 06:13 PM, Ali Ustek wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The wi-fi chip Ralink RT3290 is common in notebooks but is not
>> supported by linux-kernel
>>
>> A bug is raised on Ubuntu launchpad
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1156363
>>
>> Some information about my system is attached
>>
>> Tested on 3.6, 3.8, 3.9rc3 and 3.9rc4

> Nearly everything that you posted tells us nothing. One critical piece of
> information is given by "lspci -nn".

Attachments:
lspci_nn.log (2.21 kB)

2013-04-15 20:06:38

by Ali Ustek

I have checked the Ubuntu kernel config on my laptop and it has
$ grep -i RT2800PCI /boot/config-3.8.0-18-generic
CONFIG_RT2800PCI=m
CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT33XX=y
CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT35XX=y
CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT53XX=y
CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT3290=y

and I tried to compile the kernel myself to no avail.

any ideas?