2020-04-23 22:43:30

by Brian Norris

Subject: bugzilla.kernel.org / [email protected]

Does anybody actually triage/manage the Wireless component on
bugzilla.kernel.org?
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Networking

It's ostensibly managed by [email protected],
but I get the impression that list (and really, the entire domain...)
has been dead for a long time.

Related: does anybody care to fix that up? I've found a few useful bug
reports there recently, and it would be nice if the community could
proactively handle those, instead of leaving it there as the
equivalent of /dev/null.

If no one else volunteers, I'd probably at least try to stick my email
in there somewhere [1], so I can manage state (e.g., close issues that
are already fixed).

Brian

[1] I guess I'd have to ask kernel.org admins?

2020-04-24 05:10:04

by Kalle Valo

Subject: Re: bugzilla.kernel.org / [email protected]

Brian Norris <[email protected]> writes:

> Does anybody actually triage/manage the Wireless component on
> bugzilla.kernel.org?
> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Networking

To my knowledge only iwlwifi folks follow bugzilla, not much else. I
certainly don't have time for it. I think there should be a big fat
warning that it's not the recommended way to report bugs, just so that
people don't have false expectations.

> It's ostensibly managed by [email protected],
> but I get the impression that list (and really, the entire domain...)
> has been dead for a long time.
>
> Related: does anybody care to fix that up? I've found a few useful bug
> reports there recently, and it would be nice if the community could
> proactively handle those, instead of leaving it there as the
> equivalent of /dev/null.
>
> If no one else volunteers, I'd probably at least try to stick my email
> in there somewhere [1], so I can manage state (e.g., close issues that
> are already fixed).

If you have the time go for it :)

> [1] I guess I'd have to ask kernel.org admins?

Yeah, I suppose [email protected] can help with that.

--
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches

2020-04-28 22:21:14

by Brian Norris

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 10:09 PM Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Brian Norris <[email protected]> writes:
> > Does anybody actually triage/manage the Wireless component on
> > bugzilla.kernel.org?
> > https://bugzilla.kernel.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Networking
>
> To my knowledge only iwlwifi folks follow bugzilla, not much else. I
> certainly don't have time for it.

Ack, that was my understanding. (And even there, iwlwifi folks haven't
been doing it that promptly, because one of the bugs that spurred me
here was in iwlwifi -- it was reported several times there, including
with a bisection and patch, but that went nowhere, until Intel popped
out an identical bugfix a month later.) Anyway I'm not really asking
you to, but I would like to avoid it being a /dev/null bucket somehow.

> I think there should be a big fat
> warning that it's not the recommended way to report bugs, just so that
> people don't have false expectations.

Yeah, that would be nice, and I'm pretty sure other subsystems have
similar (non)expectation. In fact, there _are_ notes about this
already, but they're not big and fat, and they're not included
directly in the bugzilla "report a bug" interface:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/reporting-bugs.html#identify-who-to-notify

Anyway, in absence of that, I do plan to at least keep some ear open,
in case it ends up catching obvious issues.

> > It's ostensibly managed by [email protected],
> > but I get the impression that list (and really, the entire domain...)
> > has been dead for a long time.

BTW, I've learned that this dead domain is actually intentional:
https://korg.wiki.kernel.org/userdoc/bugzilla#real_assignees_vs_virtual_assignees

> > [1] I guess I'd have to ask kernel.org admins?
>
> Yeah, I suppose [email protected] can help with that.

Done.

Brian