2022-08-05 13:03:46

by Murtaza Saeed

Subject: wireless-regdb: Update regulatory rules for Pakistan (PK) on 5GHz

Hi,

The current regulatory rules for Pakistan (PK) for 5 GHz channels in
wireless-regdb are out of date and have been recently updated by the
Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) in June 2022.

PTA has allowed the use of additional 5 GHz channels which were
previously restricted for use in Pakistan.

(5150 - 5350) at ≤ 200 mW EIRP (23 dBm)
(5470 - 5725) at ≤ 200 mW EIRP (23 dBm)

The current channels (5725 - 5875) remain allowed at a higher power of 1W.

(5725 - 5875) at ≤ 1W EIRP (30 dBm)

The updated regulatory framework from PTA can be found at the link
below and the relevant information is available on Page 10.

https://www.pta.gov.pk/assets/media/iot_srd_regulatory_framework_01-06-2022.pdf

If I am correct, the listing for PK in the database should show as follows:

country PK: DFS-JP
# https://fab.gov.pk/type-approval/
# https://pta.gov.pk/media/Pakistan_Table_of_Frequency_Allocations.pdf
# https://www.pta.gov.pk/assets/media/iot_srd_regulatory_framework_01-06-2022.pdf
(2402 - 2482 @ 40), (20)
(5150 - 5350 @ 80), (23)
(5470 - 5725 @ 80), (23)
(5725 - 5875 @ 80), (30)

I hope I have provided sufficient information, and in the correct
format for the database to be updated.

Regards,
Murtaza Saeed

2022-08-05 15:40:04

by Seth Forshee

On Fri, Aug 05, 2022 at 06:01:43PM +0500, Murtaza Saeed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The current regulatory rules for Pakistan (PK) for 5 GHz channels in
> wireless-regdb are out of date and have been recently updated by the
> Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) in June 2022.
>
> PTA has allowed the use of additional 5 GHz channels which were
> previously restricted for use in Pakistan.
>
> (5150 - 5350) at ≤ 200 mW EIRP (23 dBm)
> (5470 - 5725) at ≤ 200 mW EIRP (23 dBm)
>
> The current channels (5725 - 5875) remain allowed at a higher power of 1W.
>
> (5725 - 5875) at ≤ 1W EIRP (30 dBm)
>
> The updated regulatory framework from PTA can be found at the link
> below and the relevant information is available on Page 10.
>
> https://www.pta.gov.pk/assets/media/iot_srd_regulatory_framework_01-06-2022.pdf
>
> If I am correct, the listing for PK in the database should show as follows:
>
> country PK: DFS-JP
> # https://fab.gov.pk/type-approval/
> # https://pta.gov.pk/media/Pakistan_Table_of_Frequency_Allocations.pdf
> # https://www.pta.gov.pk/assets/media/iot_srd_regulatory_framework_01-06-2022.pdf
> (2402 - 2482 @ 40), (20)
> (5150 - 5350 @ 80), (23)
> (5470 - 5725 @ 80), (23)
> (5725 - 5875 @ 80), (30)

Thanks for the information! This isn't quite right though. Annex A1
includes additional restrictions which need to be accounted for in the
rules:

- 5150-5610 GHz are restricted to indoor use.
- 5270-5610 GHz requires DFS.
- 5270-5610 GHz also requires TPC, but since Linux doesn't support TPC
we have to lower the max EIRP by half.

It also looks like 60 GHz is allowed, so we can also add a rule for
that. So I think this is what we end up with for the new rules:

country PK: DFS-JP
# https://fab.gov.pk/type-approval/
# https://pta.gov.pk/media/Pakistan_Table_of_Frequency_Allocations.pdf
# https://www.pta.gov.pk/assets/media/iot_srd_regulatory_framework_01-06-2022.pdf
(2402 - 2482 @ 40), (100 mW)
(5150 - 5270 @ 80), (200 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, AUTO-BW
(5270 - 5350 @ 80), (100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS, AUTO-BW
(5470 - 5610 @ 80), (100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS, AUTO-BW
(5610 - 5725 @ 80), (200 mW), AUTO-BW
(5725 - 5875 @ 80), (1000 mW)
(57000 - 66000 @ 2160), (40)

Note that I also changed the EIRP to mW to match what's in the document,
except for 60 GHz where it gives the limit in dBm. We generally try to
have the rules match the regulatory documents.

If this looks good to you, I can send a patch.

Thanks,
Seth

2022-08-05 16:49:25

by Murtaza Saeed

Hi Seth,

That looks good, thanks for correcting me.

Thanks for updating this, it will really make things much easier for
me and the small Linux community in Pakistan.

Please go ahead and send the patch, I'd really appreciate it.

Regards,
Murtaza Saeed