2019-09-11 13:53:10

by Ben Greear

Subject: Question on Intel AX200

Hello,

Does anyone know how well AX200 currently supports:

OFDMA

MU-MIMO (receiver)

AP Mode

And, can anyone suggest a good /AX AP to test against for these features?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Tim Higgins

Subject: Re: Question on Intel AX200

On 9/11/2019 9:49 AM, Ben Greear wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how well AX200 currently supports:
>
> OFDMA
>
> MU-MIMO (receiver)
>
> AP Mode
>
> And, can anyone suggest a good /AX AP to test against for these features?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Hi Ben,
I've been doing a lot of testing with the AX200 as a STA and sniffer, focusing on trying to see
if OFDMA lives up to its advertised features. This topic is probably not of interest to this
general list, so I'm happy to take the discussion to one-on-one.

Tim

2019-09-11 17:12:01

by Sid Hayn

I'm pretty interested in hearing this too.

-Zero

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM Tim Higgins <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 9/11/2019 9:49 AM, Ben Greear wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone know how well AX200 currently supports:
> >
> > OFDMA
> >
> > MU-MIMO (receiver)
> >
> > AP Mode
> >
> > And, can anyone suggest a good /AX AP to test against for these features?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ben
> >
> Hi Ben,
> I've been doing a lot of testing with the AX200 as a STA and sniffer, focusing on trying to see
> if OFDMA lives up to its advertised features. This topic is probably not of interest to this
> general list, so I'm happy to take the discussion to one-on-one.
>
> Tim

2019-09-11 17:22:43

by Toke Høiland-Jørgensen

Sid Hayn <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm pretty interested in hearing this too.

Me too! :)

-Toke

2019-09-11 22:12:17

by Tim Higgins

>> On 9/11/2019 9:49 AM, Ben Greear wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how well AX200 currently supports:
>>>
>>> OFDMA
>>>
>>> MU-MIMO (receiver)
>>>
>>> AP Mode
>>>
>>> And, can anyone suggest a good /AX AP to test against for these features?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ben
>>>
>> Hi Ben,
>> I've been doing a lot of testing with the AX200 as a STA and sniffer, focusing on trying to see
>> if OFDMA lives up to its advertised features. This topic is probably not of interest to this
>> general list, so I'm happy to take the discussion to one-on-one.
>>
>> Tim
I'll provide a brief summary and anyone interested can follow up directly with me.

My focus is on the consumer Wi-Fi space, so I can't speak for Enterprise grade gear.
In that space, the only products that currently have OFDMA enabled are the ASUS RT-AX88U
(Broadcom platform),  NETGEAR RAX120 (Qualcomm platform) and Arris SURFboard mAX PRO and
SURFboard mAX PLUS. I have looked at the ASUS and NETGEAR, but don't have the Arris in hand.

Engenius' EWS357AP (Qualcomm platform) also has OFDMA enabled. I'm not sure of the state of
publicly released firmware. I tried a few firmware versions and the results were not very good.
So I've set that one aside for now.

The ASUS has beta code that the company says supports OFDMA DL in 5 GHz best, uplink no so much
and 2.4 GHz is not stable.

The NETGEAR supports OFDMA in both 2.4 and 5 GHz, but downlink only.

There is no product I know of that supports DL and UL OFDMA in both bands.

I've been using four Samsung S10e's as my STAs to run traffic to using iperf3. I also have a few
Intel AX200's on ASUS mini ITX boards and one on an ASUS pico ITX board. Right now, the AX200 is
used mainly for capture. Thanks to help from Johannes, I got the debug kernel capability working
that allows capturing individual AIDs. So I can capture OFDMA data frames and, of course, HE
management and trigger frames.

An ongoing issue is that I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing when sniffing OFDMA DL and
UL traffic. The DL OFDMA and UL OFDMA sequences described in David Coleman's Aerohive blog
posts, which are also in the CWNA 5th Edition Study Guide that David co-authored, have yet to be
seen.
https://blog.aerohive.com/dl-ofdma/
https://blog.aerohive.com/uplink-orthogonal-division-multiple-access-ul-ofdma-in-802-11ax/

So I don't even know if the products I'm testing are implementing "proper" OFDMA.

I've yet to see OFDMA's key features of higher efficiency and lower latency using simple TCP/IP
traffic and ping. There are many moving parts on both AP and STA...this is going to take awhile
to sort out.

2019-09-12 01:30:47

by David Poole

On Wed, 2019-09-11 at 06:49 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how well AX200 currently supports:
>
> OFDMA
>
> MU-MIMO (receiver)
>
> AP Mode
>
> And, can anyone suggest a good /AX AP to test against for these
> features?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

On the AP Mode side, we have a few AX200 PCIe cards. I've been working
to get AP mode working with hostpad. Device says supports AP mode but
I'm hitting some issues with regulatory domains (channel EINVAL).