2013-02-14 19:36:18

by Beat Meier

Subject: How can I find out the ssid of an inteface in AP mode?

Hello

How can I find out the ssid of an inteface in AP mode (using hostapd)?

I have several hostapd files and dependend on several stuff I start
hostap with different config files.
One difference is the ssid and at runtime I need to know which is active
with some scripts.

I have still not found how to get this information if the interface is
in AP mode because
iw dev wlan0 link
does not work in AP mode...
In my opinion this could be implemented in
iw dev wlan0 survey dump
which also prints the frecuency IF REALY not already implemented...

No one does need this feature?

Greetings

Beat

2013-02-18 13:17:49

by Beat Meier

On 02/14/2013 04:53 PM, Christian Lamparter wrote:
> On Thursday, February 14, 2013 08:27:32 PM Beat Meier wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> How can I find out the ssid of an inteface in AP mode (using hostapd)?
> start up hostapd_cli
>
> (usually it connects to the right wlanX interface, otherwise
> execute interface wlanX)
>
> get_config
>
> (And then look for ssid=xyz)
Ah ok, thanks a lot Christian! This points me to te right way. My
hostapd on voyage is outdated...
In version 0.7.3 this is not implemented... So I will updated as soon as
possible.
Thanks again!

Beat

2013-02-14 19:54:01

by Christian Lamparter

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 08:27:32 PM Beat Meier wrote:
> Hello
>
> How can I find out the ssid of an inteface in AP mode (using hostapd)?
start up hostapd_cli

(usually it connects to the right wlanX interface, otherwise
execute interface wlanX)

get_config

(And then look for ssid=xyz)

> I have several hostapd files and dependend on several stuff I start
> hostap with different config files. One difference is the ssid and
> at runtime I need to know which is active with some scripts.
>
> I have still not found how to get this information if the interface is
> in AP mode because
> iw dev wlan0 link
> does not work in AP mode...
> In my opinion this could be implemented in
> iw dev wlan0 survey dump
> which also prints the frecuency IF REALY not already implemented...
>
> No one does need this feature?
No, the kernel does not manage AP interfaces. Everything
is done by hostapd (the userspace daemon).

Regards,
Christian