2013-02-12 15:13:36

by Márk Várdai

Subject: rtl8723e linux driver

Hi All,

I got back an email-bot of Larry Finger's inbox, so that's why I'm
writting to this list in connection with my laptop Toshiba Satellite
C855-10M. It has wireless network card: rtl8273e (I'm not 100% sure
whether my problem could come from the last letters, but hope the best
not :)). So I have ubuntu 12.04 installed on this computer. I tried
out the compat-driver and what I have found on ubuntu wiki
http://askubuntu.com/questions/139632/wireless-card-realtek-rtl8723ae-bt-is-not-recognized
too. Both was working but not 100%. Later I tried out the latest
mainstream kernel from ubuntu
(http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/) v3.8-rc7-raring/
<http://kernel.ubuntu.com/%7Ekernel-ppa/mainline/v3.8-rc7-raring/>. To get
it work I separately copied the firmware (at this moment only what was included
in the
|rtl_92ce_92se_92de_8723ae_linux_mac80211_0006.0514.2012.tar.gz file or to
be more precise from the version 0007, but I do not find the download link
for it.|

With ubuntu 12.04/kernel-3.8rc7+firmware it was working except one special
thing. I can't tell the exact reproduction step, but what is very close
to it I would say a really cold reboot ( I mean here that switch off the
computer and let is for some hours to really cool down, for example for a
night.) then turn on the computer and then it can't connect to
the wifi router. But If I switch off manually the wifi on the laptop (it can
be managed by keyboard settings) and turn it back again that from that moment
it is working (not all the cases,but most of the cases is working ). So my
question would be whether does any of you have any idea what I can do
to avoid this
strange situation? The laptop is used by my mother so for her it is
not an option to
switch it off and on again. I can accept it that I write a small script to
disable and enable again the wifi but in the past when I tried out the
previous methods (so not kernel 3.8) unloading the module and load it
back sometimes
does not solve the problem. The wifi is good, because under windows 7/8 it is
working well. Can any of you help me to solve this issue? What should
I have to do,
what kind of log should I send and so on.

Thanks and regards,
Mark

2013-02-12 15:48:56

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: rtl8723e linux driver

On 02/12/2013 09:13 AM, M?rk V?rdai wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I got back an email-bot of Larry Finger's inbox, so that's why I'm
> writting to this list in connection with my laptop Toshiba Satellite
> C855-10M. It has wireless network card: rtl8273e (I'm not 100% sure
> whether my problem could come from the last letters, but hope the best
> not :)). So I have ubuntu 12.04 installed on this computer. I tried
> out the compat-driver and what I have found on ubuntu wiki
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/139632/wireless-card-realtek-rtl8723ae-bt-is-not-recognized
> too. Both was working but not 100%. Later I tried out the latest
> mainstream kernel from ubuntu
> (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/) v3.8-rc7-raring/
> <http://kernel.ubuntu.com/%7Ekernel-ppa/mainline/v3.8-rc7-raring/>. To get
> it work I separately copied the firmware (at this moment only what was included
> in the
> |rtl_92ce_92se_92de_8723ae_linux_mac80211_0006.0514.2012.tar.gz file or to
> be more precise from the version 0007, but I do not find the download link
> for it.|

As my mail bot told you, I don't do private consulting of the type you wanted.

The firmware is found in the linux-firmware git repo. There is no separate
download site for it. Ubuntu needs to update whatever package provides the
firmware to provide the latest firmware files. You should pass that info on to them.

> With ubuntu 12.04/kernel-3.8rc7+firmware it was working except one special
> thing. I can't tell the exact reproduction step, but what is very close
> to it I would say a really cold reboot ( I mean here that switch off the
> computer and let is for some hours to really cool down, for example for a
> night.) then turn on the computer and then it can't connect to
> the wifi router. But If I switch off manually the wifi on the laptop (it can
> be managed by keyboard settings) and turn it back again that from that moment
> it is working (not all the cases,but most of the cases is working ). So my
> question would be whether does any of you have any idea what I can do
> to avoid this
> strange situation? The laptop is used by my mother so for her it is
> not an option to
> switch it off and on again. I can accept it that I write a small script to
> disable and enable again the wifi but in the past when I tried out the
> previous methods (so not kernel 3.8) unloading the module and load it
> back sometimes
> does not solve the problem. The wifi is good, because under windows 7/8 it is
> working well. Can any of you help me to solve this issue? What should
> I have to do,
> what kind of log should I send and so on.

When you are having the cold start problem, are scans working? In other words,
does the command 'sudo /usr/sbin/iwlist scan' return any APs?

Is the wifi blocked? What is the output of '/usr/sbin/rfkill list'?

Finally, what does the log shown by the output of dmesg show? I will not need
all of it - only the part after rtl8723ae starts.

I am not a user of Ubuntu and that distro might place iwlist and rfkill in
different places than on my system. In addition, rfkill might not be installed.
If not, then use the package loader to install it.

Larry