2013-04-08 13:10:46

by Vasiliy Tolstov

Subject: bcm43228 support

Hello. I'm newbie in this list =).
I'm search from google and mailing list but can't fully understand:
does bcma from wireless git tree support bcm43228?
I don't like broadcom sta because it closed source (big blob) and
require some steps to get works (manual download compile and so), that
is not possible from live cd.
Does it possible to get working wifi with opensource driver and
connect to wpa-psk?

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: [email protected]

2013-04-08 20:48:19

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: bcm43228 support

On 04/08/2013 01:46 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> 2013/4/8 Larry Finger <[email protected]>:
>> According to
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_devices, the only
>> driver that supports the BCM43228 is the closed-source wl. If your device
>> has PCI ID 14e4:4359, then neither brcmsmac nor b43 support it.
>>
>> The number of devices supported by b43 is limited by the time that we have
>> to reverse engineer devices, and a need for an open-source driver. Your
>> device is not widely distributed. The Broadcom people will need to say why
>> they choose not to implement this device.
>>
>> If you need a wireless adapter for use with a Live CD, I suggest one of the
>> popular USB devices.
>

> I'm already read this link, but may be info is outdated and opensource
> drivers for 43228 is available. Now broadcom-sta wl river works very
> bad on my acer aspire v5.

The only way to know is to search the kernel source for the appropriate PCI ID.
As you did not provide that for your device, I had to guess. I might have done
that incorrectly, but if I tried the correct one, the current wireless-testing
does not support your device.

Sorry about faulty operation of wl, but there is nothing we can do about that.

Larry

2013-04-08 18:47:05

by Vasiliy Tolstov

2013/4/8 Larry Finger <[email protected]>:
> According to
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_devices, the only
> driver that supports the BCM43228 is the closed-source wl. If your device
> has PCI ID 14e4:4359, then neither brcmsmac nor b43 support it.
>
> The number of devices supported by b43 is limited by the time that we have
> to reverse engineer devices, and a need for an open-source driver. Your
> device is not widely distributed. The Broadcom people will need to say why
> they choose not to implement this device.
>
> If you need a wireless adapter for use with a Live CD, I suggest one of the
> popular USB devices.

I'm already read this link, but may be info is outdated and opensource
drivers for 43228 is available. Now broadcom-sta wl river works very
bad on my acer aspire v5.

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: [email protected]