2021-07-16 00:52:36

by Larry Finger

Subject: Difficulty connecting to AP using rtw89

Hi,

I am trying to help some users of my GitHub repo for rtw89. Several are having
problems trying to connect to their APs. When their AP scan lists the following:

WPA: * Version: 1
* Group cipher: TKIP
* Pairwise ciphers: TKIP
* Authentication suites: PSK
RSN: * Version: 1
* Group cipher: TKIP
* Pairwise ciphers: CCMP
* Authentication suites: PSK
* Capabilities: 1-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x0000)

I have no problems. My scan results show:

RSN: * Version: 1
* Group cipher: CCMP
* Pairwise ciphers: CCMP
* Authentication suites: PSK
* Capabilities: 16-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x000c)

At least one of them can connect to a hotspot created on his phone; however, it
also shows Capabilities: 16-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x000c). I have tried to
discover what causes the difference between this value and that of Capabilities:
1-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x0000). No matter how I setup my APs, I always get
16-PTKSA-RC.

Can anyone help me understand this problem?

Thanks,

Larry

2021-07-16 03:19:34

by Pkshih

> I am trying to help some users of my GitHub repo for rtw89. Several are having
> problems trying to connect to their APs. When their AP scan lists the following:
>
> WPA: * Version: 1
> * Group cipher: TKIP
> * Pairwise ciphers: TKIP
> * Authentication suites: PSK
> RSN: * Version: 1
> * Group cipher: TKIP
> * Pairwise ciphers: CCMP
> * Authentication suites: PSK
> * Capabilities: 1-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x0000)
>
> I have no problems. My scan results show:
>
> RSN: * Version: 1
> * Group cipher: CCMP
> * Pairwise ciphers: CCMP
> * Authentication suites: PSK
> * Capabilities: 16-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x000c)
>
> At least one of them can connect to a hotspot created on his phone; however, it
> also shows Capabilities: 16-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x000c). I have tried to
> discover what causes the difference between this value and that of Capabilities:
> 1-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x0000). No matter how I setup my APs, I always get
> 16-PTKSA-RC.
>
> Can anyone help me understand this problem?

Hi Larry,

I'm not sure if the problem the users met is related to security or not.
But, we have a solution to deal with similar symptom.
Please apply and try attached patch to see if it is helpful.

--
Ping-Ke

Attachments:
20210702_00_init_tp_regs.patch (1.36 kB)
20210702_00_init_tp_regs.patch

2021-07-16 16:41:29

by Larry Finger

On 7/15/21 10:17 PM, Pkshih wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> I'm not sure if the problem the users met is related to security or not.
> But, we have a solution to deal with similar symptom.
> Please apply and try attached patch to see if it is helpful.

Ping-ke,

Two of the 4 users with the problem have reported back that their device now
works. Thanks for the patch.

In a separate question, will v6 have provisions for IPv6?

Larry

2021-07-17 01:45:08

by Pkshih

Thanks for the help.

> In a separate question, will v6 have provisions for IPv6?

The driver handles L2 things only, but IPv6 that is L3 that we don't have special deal.
Could I know the problem you met?

--
Ping-Ke

2021-07-17 09:40:51

by Larry Finger

On 7/16/21 8:40 PM, Pkshih wrote:

> [...]

Personally, I do not use IPv6, but one of the users
(https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89/issues/19) has bad IPv4 throughput with his
ISP, but better with IPv6. That doesn't make any sense to me, but I told him
that I would ask.

Sorry that I have not had time for reviewing the v5 code. There have been a
couple of emergencies with VirtualBox, which I maintain for openSUSE.

Larry

2021-07-19 02:47:42

by Pkshih

I'm not sure if ISP limits the throughput or not.
My suggestion is to have another PC connected to AP with ethernet cable. Then,
do performance test between two PCs to check the difference between IPv4 and IPv6.

--
Ping-Ke