2002-09-17 21:36:06

by Thomas Dodd

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: [Linux-usb-users] Re: Problems accessing USB Mass Storage



Mark C wrote:
> [[email protected] mark]# dd if=/dev/sda of=tmp/tmp.img skip=50 \
> bs=1k dd: reading `/dev/sda': Input/output error

That's correct.

> Then the output of dmesg:
>
> SCSI device (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
> SCSI device sda: 16384 512-byte hdwr sectors (8 MB)
> sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
> sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
> I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
> unable to read partition table
> I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 96

That's what I expected. I didn't help.


Sector 96 is a little odd. 50 1K blocks
should be sector 99. (counting starts at zero)

I wonder why 96 is accessed...

This is really starting to look like it's
*NOT* really a Mass Storage Class device,
just claiming to be. (black list time?)

I noticed the windows driver setup several
other interfaces, like audio and VfW (video).

Best sugestion for now is buy 1) a memory card,
2) a card reader that works there are several.

It probably doesn't use the internal memory if a card
is loaded, but you'd have to read the manul/test to
find out. 8M isn't much room for pics at 1280x1024
any way :)


-Thomas


2002-09-17 21:46:32

by Mark C

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: [Linux-usb-users] Re: Problems accessing USB Mass Storage

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 22:40, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> Sector 96 is a little odd. 50 1K blocks
> should be sector 99. (counting starts at zero)
>
> I wonder why 96 is accessed...
>
> This is really starting to look like it's
> *NOT* really a Mass Storage Class device,
> just claiming to be. (black list time?)

Now how did I know you were going to say that :-)
>
> I noticed the windows driver setup several
> other interfaces, like audio and VfW (video).

It can do streaming Audio/Video

> Best sugestion for now is buy 1) a memory card,
> 2) a card reader that works there are several.

I have a 16mb Stmart Media Card included with the pack.

Can you possibly suggest any card readers that *will* work on Linux =>
2.4.18 (ie use a specific type, usb, serial) and do they have to be
compatible with specific memory cards?

Sorry to sound vague, but I've never used one before.

Just fishing :-)..I do a google...

And if so any chance of a few quick links on getting the memory card
readers to work?
(don't worry too much about that, I just figured if you know any that
were maybe bookmarked)

> It probably doesn't use the internal memory if a card
> is loaded, but you'd have to read the manul/test to
> find out. 8M isn't much room for pics at 1280x1024
> any way :)

True :-)


--
---
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;
to steal from many is research.