2002-09-23 10:11:43

by James Stevenson

Subject: via82cxxxx.c ?

Hi

i have the following on motherboard card.

Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 48).

there appears ot be a driver for it. But i am havign a few problems with it
when the driver loads it says it picks the card up no problem
and stays loaded and has the ioports, irq in /proc/*

but when trying to open /dev/audio or /dev/dsp or /dev/mixer
all i get back is a -ENODEV

does anyone know where i could get the docs on the card and have
ago at fixing the driver ? is there a maintiner / active people
working on the driver ?

i currently also have the via drivers working on it but they
tend to work / not work and work a bit of the time and of course
these taint my kernel :(

thanks
James

2002-09-23 10:17:21

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: via82cxxxx.c ?

James Stevenson wrote:
> Hi
>
> i have the following on motherboard card.
>
> Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio
> Controller (rev 48).
>
> there appears ot be a driver for it. But i am havign a few problems with it
> when the driver loads it says it picks the card up no problem
> and stays loaded and has the ioports, irq in /proc/*

sounds like an old kernel -- the driver doesn't support your chip at
all. I removed the pci id in later kernels so it wouldn't even load.

It needs VT8233 support added to it (on my todo list), or you can use
ALSA, which supports VT8233.

Jeff

2002-09-23 10:22:43

by James Stevenson

> James Stevenson wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > i have the following on motherboard card.
> >
> > Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio
> > Controller (rev 48).
> >
> > there appears ot be a driver for it. But i am havign a few problems with
it
> > when the driver loads it says it picks the card up no problem
> > and stays loaded and has the ioports, irq in /proc/*
>

> sounds like an old kernel -- the driver doesn't support your chip at
> all. I removed the pci id in later kernels so it wouldn't even load.

yeah i was wondering what was with the pci ids disappearing.
they were in 2.4.18-redhat-7.3 kernel and were there in the
driver download from the sourceforge site but not in 2.4.19

> It needs VT8233 support added to it (on my todo list), or you can use
> ALSA, which supports VT8233.

i would attempt to add support for it myself but i dont know where
to get the docs from for the chipset from.

James