2002-10-06 12:21:01

by Michael Clark

Subject: Re: QLogic Linux failover/Load Balancing ER0000000020860

>>I see. ATM I'm using 2.4.19, but would like to get to 2.4.20, because of
>>the TG3 fixes.
>

> You were probably thinking of CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN above, then. That causes the kernel to probe all LUNs instead of just LUN 0, which is the default due to a lot of broken devices to respond to all LUNs instead of just LUN 0. The sparse LUN option is in addition to that in 2.5.x.
>
> If this is for a live server, it might be easiest to hard code the LUNs you need it to probe in to 2.4.x for now, and wait until 2.6.x for proper support.

2.4 supports sparse lun scanning, although it is not enabled
dynamically and requires add a BLIST_SPARSELUN flag for your device
in the device_list array in drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c

You just need to get the Vendor and Model info from /proc/scsi/scsi

I am using qlogic 2300s with sparse luns working fine on 2.4.18.

~mc

2002-10-06 19:35:07

by GrandMasterLee

On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 07:26, Michael Clark wrote:
> >>I see. ATM I'm using 2.4.19, but would like to get to 2.4.20, because of
> >>the TG3 fixes.
> >

> > You were probably thinking of CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN above, then. That causes the kernel to probe all LUNs instead of just LUN 0, which is the default due to a lot of broken devices to respond to all LUNs instead of just LUN 0. The sparse LUN option is in addition to that in 2.5.x.
> >
> > If this is for a live server, it might be easiest to hard code the LUNs you need it to probe in to 2.4.x for now, and wait until 2.6.x for proper support.
>
> 2.4 supports sparse lun scanning, although it is not enabled
> dynamically and requires add a BLIST_SPARSELUN flag for your device
> in the device_list array in drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c

I worked with Andrea to get the PV660F doing this, because it was not
working correctly, so I know of what you speak. I'll get that info from
/proc/scsi/scsi and then fix it up and see if that does it.

> You just need to get the Vendor and Model info from /proc/scsi/scsi
>
> I am using qlogic 2300s with sparse luns working fine on 2.4.18.

using the LB static bindings and *failover* still works?

> ~mc

2002-10-06 23:08:47

by GrandMasterLee

On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 14:40, GrandMasterLee wrote:

> > > You were probably thinking of CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN above, then. That causes the kernel to probe all LUNs instead of just LUN 0, which is the default due to a lot of broken devices to respond to all LUNs instead of just LUN 0. The sparse LUN option is in addition to that in 2.5.x.
> > >
> > > If this is for a live server, it might be easiest to hard code the LUNs you need it to probe in to 2.4.x for now, and wait until 2.6.x for proper support.
> >
> > 2.4 supports sparse lun scanning, although it is not enabled
> > dynamically and requires add a BLIST_SPARSELUN flag for your device
> > in the device_list array in drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c
>
> I worked with Andrea to get the PV660F doing this, because it was not
> working correctly, so I know of what you speak. I'll get that info from
> /proc/scsi/scsi and then fix it up and see if that does it.

I just reassigned all my LUNs to be a part of the same host
configuration on the storage(polling by HBAs and host, versus splitting
LUNs by HBA). I do get more than 1 LUN now, but only EVEN luns. I'll see
if I can identify why that is.

> > You just need to get the Vendor and Model info from /proc/scsi/scsi
> >
> > I am using qlogic 2300s with sparse luns working fine on 2.4.18.
>
> using the LB static bindings and *failover* still works?
>

> > ~mc
> >
> -

by GrandMasterLee

On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 18:14, GrandMasterLee wrote:

> I just reassigned all my LUNs to be a part of the same host
> configuration on the storage(polling by HBAs and host, versus splitting
> LUNs by HBA). I do get more than 1 LUN now, but only EVEN luns. I'll see
> if I can identify why that is.

After defining LSI in drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c I can get half my luns,
but still not all. I'm not sure what else I need to do. I now can see
LUNs 0,2,4,6,8, etc but not 1,3,5,7,etc. I'm not sure what else to do,
but maybe now that I've done this, I can get information from QLogic
about what should be happening. Or does this still seem like a kernel
config issue?

TIA