International kernel patch 2.2.0-pre7.4 is available. The idea of the
patch is to collect all crypto patches so that using crypto in the
kernel will be easier than today.
The patch is available from:
SUMMARY: Relative to the previously announced version (pre4.1), this
release contains faster/updated MARS/RC6/Serpent ciphers, better
module support, a lot of testvectors for some ciphers, a general
test-program for the crypto-library, and an updated ENskip patch.
NOTE: Please treat this patch as alpha software.
* Endian-issues haven't been sorted out. If some big-endian
people would try crypto/testing/testcip and the different
crypto/testing/test.<cipher> scripts I'd be happy. There
still are endian issues on i386.
* I have a report on kmod and the des cipher not working with
* /proc support
* Compound transforms - Wassenaar-compatibility(tm). My
thoughts on this issue which amounts to putting a
specification language for transforms and a parser in the
kernel. The BNF-grammar for this language is ~6 lines.
* Create the necessary infrastructure for assembly-language
* Write 4-way IDEA cipher for MMX. IDEA is ideal for MMX and
a 4-way IDEA cipher using MMX would blow away the other
ciphers we have and at the same time be a well-known and
* Get CIPE to use the crypto library.
CHANGELOG since pre4.1:
1999-01-18 Alexander Kjeldaas <[email protected]>
* International kernel patch 2.2.0-pre7.4 released.
* Added cbc-mode to cast256 cipher.
* Removed spam on unload from crypto modules.
* Added updated ENskip patches from Frank Bernard's web site:
* International kernel patch 2.2.0-pre7.3 released.
* Added missing cleanup_module to DES, Blowfish and IDEA ciphers.
* International kernel patch 2.2.0-pre7.2 released.
* Cleanup in drivers/block/Config.in. It was possible to create
an invalid .config file.
* Minor crypto/api.c cleanup.
1999-01-17 Alexander Kjeldaas <[email protected]>
* International kernel patch 2.2.0-pre7.1 released.
* Added testcip.c - a general purpose cipher test program. Added
test-vector scripts for Blowfish, DES, Mars, and Serpent.
* Naming error left users unable to compile loop_gen unless it was
compiled as a module.
* Updated Serpent implementation. Sam Simpson has been running a
background task on a cluster of high performance servers. After a
search involving around 1000 machine hours improved sboxes were
* Updated RC6 implementation. Supposedly faster.
* Updated MARS implementation. Fixes a bug in mars_set_key.
1999-01-07 Alexander Kjeldaas <[email protected]>
* International kernel patch 2.2.0-pre5.1 released.
* Merged with vanilla 2.2.0-pre5
1999-01-05 Herbert Valerio Riedel <[email protected]>
* APX fixes.
On the ftp-site, the directory /pub/linux/kernel is a normal
kernel-mirror while /pub/linux/kerneli is a kernel-mirror plus the
international kernel patch. You should find all utilities needed for
using crypto in the kernel in /pub/linux/kerneli/net-source/.
Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway