2000-11-01 00:47:30

by Christopher Thompson

Subject: ISSUE: Locks up on boot with HPT370

(using the bug report form. if you wish to contact me, please
do so off-list as I am not subscribed.)

1. Locks up on boot with HPT370
2. Using kernel 2.4.0-test10, my machine gets to the part of
the bootup where it has detected drives and CD-ROM's on hda,
hdc, hdd. It then locks up, the floppy light is on and the
keyboard is non-responsive. Alt-SysRq-foo does nothing. Have
to hard-reset. On 2.2.17 with the IDE backport, the kernel
boots up fine, showing that it has found /dev/hde and continuing
as usual. Have not tested with anything before test9-pre-foo,
just got this motherboard.
3. HPT370, Highpoint, HPT366, IDE, boot
4. 2.4.0-test10
5. No oops shown. Machine just locks up hard.
6. Reproducable 100% of the time when booting my machine with
2.4.0-test10. Please note that the HPT366 is, of course,
compiled in and is not a module.
7.1 Debian Potato install with the 2.4.0-test10 kernel from
ftp.kernel.org
7.2 $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 4
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 900.059
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr 6 mce cx8 sep mtrr pge
14 cmov pat 17 psn mmxext mmx fxsr 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 1795.69

Note that this is with an Abit KT7-RAID motherboard. The hard
drives are NOT in raid mode.
7.3 No module information to show as the kernel does not boot.
7.4 No SCSI drives installed, nothing compiled in.
7.5 Works perfectly fine with kernel 2.2.17, Win98SE, Win2k.
X. Have found no workaround. Cannot tell if the problem is in
the HPT366/370 support or is caused elsewhere. Please contact
me if you have any suggestions or have a patch you wish me to
try out. Please note that on Thursday and Friday, I will be
away from the Internet.
I realise that the highpoint controllers are somewhat
problematic but note that this system works fine in 2.2.17.